Go to the new download site to get access to the latest release:
Thomas Biskup recommends: American Gods
"I really have been enjoying Neil Gaiman lately. The man is a great storyteller, sports incredible mythological knowledge and really knows how to turn wheels within wheels. I really loved the story plot of this book: Where do all the gods (and other mythological beings) go, when their believers get fewer and fewer? A situation particularly problematic in the United States, where emigrants where concerned with the new world, new beliefs and new freedoms. An ex-convict gets hired by a (more or less) mysterious Mr. Wednesday and starts a weird trip through the US... wacky staff but very good reading. And it nicely shows how to build metaplots and loosen a story up with interesting side characters."
More details about this item can be found here:
Please support this website by going to Amazon through one of the links on this website
(if you want to shop at Amazon at all that is ;-). It doesn't
cost you any surcharge, but provides me with ADOM-related income. Thanks!
A complete list of my reading recommendations is available here.
And here we go with the list of changes for ADOM 1.1.0 and ADOM 1.1.1 (if you care to read the details instead of finding them out
yourself) - scroll down past the spoiler space...
Changes in ADOM 1.1.1
- Trolls sacrificing rocks no longer crash the game.
- Walk Mode now really stops before hitting an altar.
- Fixed a bug which attributed alignments to all kinds of items
instead of just corpses and living sacrifices (this was a
misguided attempt to fix bug #993 in ADOM 1.1.0).
- A bug in the drowning code has been fixed (if C were a bit more
exact in checking expressions this never could have happened...
- A bug in the damage handling code has been fixed.
- The drakeling breath weapon no longer crashes the game.
- The various wealth-related talents no longer yield as much money.
- The various '... Skilled' talents no longer crash the game.
- 'Auto_Select_Doors' now works correctly.
- Monsters who decide to rage blindly no longer will attack themselves.
- The status line now is updated after wiping your face.
- Wiping your face and searching no longer helps to get rid of
confusion or stunning.
- When dropping items of unknown status, gold no longer is dropped.
- All the meta key kombinations did not work correctly with the
DOS version of ADOM.
- The 'Great Book Learner' talent now requires the 'Good Book Learner'
talent as a prerequisite.
- The final log file once more can be generated (I actually have no
idea why this stopped working and the relevant parts of the source code
show no changes for ages... strange... corruption seems to set in).
- Fixed a credit in the manual giving the wrong version number.
- Fixed the copyright notice in the manual.
- Increased the number of animated trees in the animated forest.
- To get the "Heir" talent you now also need to have the "Charming"
- "Unholy" and "holy" weapon prefixes have been changed to
"chaotic" and "lawful".
- Weight and height for female characters has been adjusted.
- Added a long-forgotten credit to the manual.
- Added yet another forgotten credit to the manual.
Changes in ADOM 1.1.0
- Quick-marking spells no longer crashes the game (bug #1937).
- Fixed a documentation problem in readme.1st (bug #1945).
- The key bar of text displays now is centered correctly. Also
the command keys are now highlighted correctly.
- The cute dog now is more capable of finding his beloved girl
- Pocket picking now yields a more violent reaction and no more
confusion from the picked victim (bugs #891, #1964).
- Fixed some unbalanced question results (bug #1965, #1966, #1967).
- The command line parameter "-g" to show the source code license
no longer exists because the source code will not be made
available (bug #1969).
- If you pay someone who isn't a shopkeeper you can retrieve your
complete money (bug #1971).
- "Fickle" weapons now can be correctly identified with Greater
Identify (bug #1972).
- Repeated quick-marking of skills no longer will crash the
game (bug #1974).
- Blup no longer teaches swimming skills when angry (bug #1983).
- Praying for vermin control no longer will result in a
"...remain unheard..." message (bug #1985).
- When trying to open or close doors (with "Auto_Select_Doors == true")
you no longer will need to enter a direction if no door is
around (bug #1988).
- The game now always displays the same number of skills, no matter
whether displaying or improving skills (bug #1991).
- The new bug place was available too soon.
- The items you can gain from the hero statues have been tuned down a bit.
- Section L of the online manual (and the corresponding piece in the
ascii manual) has been fixed as far as default names are
concerned (bug #1999).
- The player character will only notice the scroll of Rehetep if alive
- The player character now will be a lot more restricted in his actions
when stuck in a web (bug #2005).
- It's now a lot more difficult to create a scroll of education
- Will o'wisps now are immune to poison (bug #2008).
- Wizards and mindcrafters no longer receive "Find Weakness" as an
automatic skill (bug #2011).
- Blue armor really was meant to be red (bug #2022).
- Melting something away with your acid breath now yields a
message (bug #2040).
- Fixed a bug when identifying items that influenced amulets,
boots, gauntlets, girdles and cloaks (bug #2042).
- Catching fish now also works on the underwater stairway (bug #2043).
Additionally you now catch at least one piece of fish meat
- Fixed a *major* bug in the emergency save code (bug #2064).
- ADOM now uses the correct directory access mode for newly created
directories (bug #1939).
- Wielding a two-handed weapon in the left hand without any item in
the right hand no longer has any strange effects (bug #2019).
- Summoned djinni now are mentioned with the correct color (bug #265).
- Monsters killed by the effects of special effect prefixes and suffixes
now are reported with a special message. The fix to this bug also
fixed a couple of illegal memory read operations. (bug #2121).
- The short names for the new bug levels now always are correctly
displayed (bug #2125).
- Emperor molochs now also are able to destroy bugs (bug #2133).
- Tension rooms will no longer be created on cave levels (bug #2134).
- Monsters crushed by a trapped door no longer will generate a gibberish
message (and also won't make an illegal memory access anymore)
- The death message now reflects being killed by charged armor
- Mindcrafting named monsters no longer will display double colons
- Invisible monsters can't get invisible again by drinking a potion
of invisibility (bug #2161).
- After drinking a potion of visibility you now receive the correct
message when drinking a potion of invisibility (bug #2168).
- It is now possible to eat werewolf kings (bug #2179).
- Starting an RNG test after previously making the target file
write-proof no longer causes ADOM to crash. In the same
vein a lot of other nonsense calls to the wrong error
function have been replaced (bug #2180).
- Sacrificed monsters now also leave their gold behind (bug #2200).
- Tension rooms get alerted after the PC teleports into them
- You no longer can listen to your own heartbeat with a cursed
stethoscope (bug #2236).
- Drinking a potion of blindness while being blind now will yield
a message (bug #2246).
- Stone giant lords now are always male (bug #2263).
- Mud thrown in your face now really blinds you (bug #2285).
- The eye color for the cat lord now is consistent (bug #2298).
- The manual now mentions that druids receive the gardening skill
- Crystal daggers (and other items of the same color) no longer are
displayed black on black (bug #45).
- Auto-cursing items no longer can be identified by putting them
in the missile slot (bug #170).
- The display for DV, PV, H and P now also works for very large
scores in these values (bug #200).
- Shopkeepers irritated by a Chaos aura no longer will call the PC
a thief (bug #297).
- Telekinetic blasts now also yield a message without damaging
anything (bug #342).
- Identification skills and abilities now also work correctly in
the casino shop (bug #436).
- Greater Identify now also identifies the cursed...blessed status
for known item (bug #437).
- The "Your armor protects you" message for spear traps was
dependent on DV instead of PV (bug #468).
- Wand charges will be displayed after the PCs death, even if
the PC was not intelligent enough to know them (bug #475).
- Crystal tower shields now are white like all the other crystal
items (bug #491).
- You no longer can hear the grinding sound made by digging ants
if the ears are plugged (bug #509).
- Paralyzed monsters no longer follow the character over stairs
- Doors on the arena entry and exit point now are handled correctly
- Wands of digging are correctly identified when using them to dig
up graves (bug #538).
- When prevented from leaving the quickling tree the correct messages
now will be displayed (bug #592).
- A couple of priestly descriptions have been moved from the dark elven
princess to the dark elven priestes (bug #621).
- Kicking damage now also is affected by certain room effects (bug #656).
- When eating an invisible stalker while being able to see invisible a
reasonable message now will be displayed (bug #662).
- Eating a hydra corpse now always generates a message (bug #673).
- Killing a monster with a Burning Hands spell now generates a death
message (bug #676).
- Newly generated mimics no longer are displayed right away (bug #710).
- Wishing for an identified spellbook now also makes the identification
permanent knowledge (bug #738).
- You no longer can pick up arbitrary amounts of items when
overburdened (bug #766). Some other places also had to be adjusted
to prevent similar erroneous behaviour.
- You no longer can be affected by the eyes of an invisible dorn beast
if you can't perceive it (bug #777).
- Wands of trap creation now also can be used to trap doors (bug #841).
- So far the Healer special ability to use the Healing skill on others
had no actual effect. This has been changed (bug #881).
- Quest beasts killed by monstrous area attacks (e.g. vortices)
now also are noticed (bug #901).
- Weather changes will only be described while the PC is on the outside
- The labyrinth level now has a intro message for blind PCs (bug #1037).
- Monster magic confusing the player will yield a message that
respects the visual capabilities of the PC (bug #1061).
- Auto-pickup now works when jumping backwards to escape a trap (bug
- Items dropped into the piranha lake now have a light red color
- Greater undead vaults were lacking a vital monster (bug #1077).
- Stone block traps tripped by a monster now correctly check for
line of sight to the monster (bug #1082).
- Throwing Soaker now trains the Thrown Spears weapon skill
- If you die while taking off armor, you no longer will receive
a message about succesfully removing the armor (bug #1092).
- The black druid cave now really only will be noted as discovered
when the PC at least once entered it (bug #1094).
- You now can view the highscore from the start option screen
- The PCs standing with his/her deity now has one more level, which
hopefully will help to differentiate between "pious enough to
receive an artifact" and "pious enough to become a champion"
- Crowning gifts no longer can be rusty or broken (bug #1126).
- Shopkeepers being teleported from their shop no longer leave
doors on their last position in the shop (bug #1233).
- Doppleganger kings now also have the color of the PC (bug #1282).
- Chained errors now work correctly (Bug #2291, #2292).
- An error in the skill description for 'Necromancy' has been fixed
- The name of the priest in the dwarven city now is correctly
displayed (Bug #2299).
- The everburning torch now also provides bonusses if wielded.
- Writing sets now can be equipped in the tool slot (bug #1525).
- When trying to write a yet unidentified scroll type the blank scroll
no longer will disappear (bug #1526).
- When you failed to harm a monster with a missile the monster always
was addressed as "it" (bug #1396).
- Wishing for dead uniques now yields better responses (Bug #1543).
- It is no longer possible to create multiple Filks (bug #426).
- Herb growth now also is checked on levels where you are the
first to plant any herbs (bug #1556).
- The altar in the dwarven city no longer will be destroyed by
molochs (fix to bug comment in bug report #1564).
- Fixed 62 typos (49 of them old ones) (among them bugs #1946, #1947,
#1957, #2020, #2021, #2051, #2108, #2110, #2112, #2124, #2126,
#2127, #2224, #2253, #2294, #346, #377, #494, #549, #583, #584,
#622, #679, #681, #722, #758, #774, #794, #894, #938, #961, #969,
#1062, #1076, #1085, #1849, #1853, #1514, #1516, #1555).
- The following more or less ancient bugs from the bug database got
fixed somewhere on the way to ADOM 1.0.1, but were forgotten
to be marked off - so there we go: #4, #171, #266, #276, #291,
#293, #333, #341, #387, #401, #425, #472, #489, #530, #647,
#825, #899, #959, #982, #1108, #1116, #1123, #1195, #1567, #1596.
- Added a talent system for player characters.
- The spell display now lists a lot of statistical details about the
- Brought techstat.doc up to date.
- Anybody now can use a holy symbol to turn undead. Doing this
abuses your piety if you do not posses the "turn undead"
class power. Additionally the strength of your piety now
affects turning attempts (RFE #1981).
- A new configuration variable "Show_Experience" has been added.
If you set it to true, ADOM will display all experience
amounts the PC gains (RFE #1980).
- Swimming through water now yields a message (RFE #2306).
- Internal error handling has been improved in several places
- Trolls now get more nourishment from cursed hurthling cakes (similar
to dark elves and spider bread).
- Initial monster and item sorting now is done with quicksort
(RFE #2289, #2295).
- The helpers of shopkeepers no longer will attack the helpless
- Garth now will greet the PC only when the PC enters the hall
- Added 11 new minstrel songs (RFE #1038, #1542).
- The manual section on restoring saved games has been reworked
- The gods now also frown upon receiving corpse sacrifices from
beings of their alignment (RFE #993).
- It's now possible to kick forges (RFE #955).
- Many monster "death messages" now make a difference between monsters
that are destroyed and monsters that are killed (RFE #951).
- Introduced a new death cause (RFE #942).
- Werewolfs have been recolored: werewolves now are light blue,
werewolf lords are light cyan and werewolf kings are cyan
- The "potion of speed" has been renamed to "potion of quickling blood"
- The damage of the drakeling breath weapon now is documented in the
manual (RFE #767).
- Wishes have been modified (RFE #739).
- Tame breeders now are extremely unlikely to reproduce (RFE #724).
- Explosions now have a chance to deafen the PC (RFE #650).
- (Giant) rats now can cause diseases (in rare cases) (RFE #576).
Additionally rats now are great swimmers (RFE #798).
- A variety of security checks has been added to temporary level files
in order to prevent tampering with them except for very intelligent
and persistent folks (RFE #529).
- The global statement in the "killed monsters" list has been
clarified (RFE #367).
- The concentration skill now also has a very minor effect on targetting
missiles (RFE #213).
- Day and night now influence the range of sight in the wilderness.
- You now can ambush monsters in the wilderness. The stealth and survival
skills are of great help in this (RFE #166). Invisibility can be
a great help for ambushes (RFE #1029).
- Pools drying up now have a better message (RFE #123).
- ADOM now is more concerned about the time of the day when giving
weather descriptions (RFE #80).
- Gems and rocks now are represented by different symbols in
Auto_Pickup configuration (use "*" for gems and "o" for all
kinds of rocks) (RFE #29).
- "Death's Final Touch" now is called "Serpent's Bite" (RFE #2154).
- Confused monsters now are marked as such when looked at (RFE #2159).
- Very slow characters no longer can collect insanely high amounts of
experience from faster monsters (RFE #2081) due to an imposed
cap for the gain.
- The PCs speed score now also is reported in the final PC reports
- Water now affects the energy costs for movement of both the PC and
the monsters (RFE #2052).
- Some monsters may decide to fight to death instead of fleeing
- You no longer can move onto altars if using the walk-mode (bug #1938).
- Now the occasional horde will try to ambush the player.
- Fiddled a bit with the cheat protection system of ADOM.
- Spellcasting abuses your mana score if you cast spells without sufficient
- A few room descriptions have been enhanced.
- The black unicorn glade features a new description (RFE #950).
- Attribute decreases due to abuse of the attribute now are more likely.
- Eating corpses no longer allows such wild attribute increases (RFE #1996).
- Various methods of atribute scumming have been stopped.
- Mana draining monsters have become more dangerous for spellcasters.
- All wyrms now are resistant to death rays.
- Wyrms now know some magic spells.
- Older dragons have become more powerful.
- Dragon treasures have been modified.
- Magic resistance for monsters now is more effective.
- Non-archers now are much worse at hitting with missiles.
- Teleportation no longer is possible on the cat lord level.
- The cat lord has been beefed up.
- Some monsters have been modified (partly inspired by e.g. RFE #1167).
- Frost giants, fire giants and titans have been beefed up.
- The assassin prince has become a bit more powerful (RFE #2089).
- The description of the sheriff has been tweaked slightly (RFE #2109).
- Fleeing and fighting monsters now are highly unlikely to pick up
missiles (RFE #733). Generally they are less likely to pick
up stuff to get away (RFE #709).
- Fiddled with a trap message (RFE #2223).
- A couple of tiny surprises have been added.
- High-level trolls now have less problems with sacrificing rocks
- Added a lot more variety to the death messages for companions
- Self-flagellation with whips of the snakes has become even more
dangerous (RFE #1548).
- The waning strength of atlas spell has become more noticeable due
to an added "(more)" prompt (RFE #1550).
- The "O"rder command can now be used by necromancers to command
slaves (RFE #1577).
- Added information about the ADOM Maintenance Support (e.g. help to
support ADOM by donating money).
- Spell information in the manual has been pulled together in one
- 'Spell Effectiveness' has been renamed to 'Spell Power'. This was
done to add a short yet concise statistics block to the spell
screen (see the manul for details). In return the stat blocks
from the manual were removed to make sure that data will be
more consistent in the future.
- Rings of elemental mastery now also grant immunity to lightning.
- All rings of elemental mastery (minor and major) now offer
defense and protection abilities.
- Added 1 new armor prefix.
- Added 1 new item (RFE number withheld for the sake fo excitement).
- Added 7 new fortune cookies (RFE #2214, #948, #989).
Suggestions? EMail me.