PDA

View Full Version : Cant find the key in Gnoll stronghold!

Sradac
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
So I got the quest to clear out the Gnoll stronghold west of Brahalan the human town, you know the one where you get your first option to own your first shop. Anyways, I made my way through there and I've come to a gate on the 3rd floor of this place and its locked, no key in sight! Killed the gatekeeper he had no key nor did his guards. Ive tried and it looks like the walls near the gate are un-diggable. Anyone make it past this part in JADE yet?

gut
10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Gates function like doors in ADOM, that is to say, like pedestals. You just have to
'Alt-M' ount the gate, then 'Alt-D' ismount to the other side.

Maul
10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Be careful though, you're gonna get jumped by a LOT of mobs in there and you won't be able to escape until they're all dead. So bring lots of healing potions.

Shockwave612
10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Wait guys, we can play JADE now?

Laukku
10-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Wait guys, we can play JADE now?

Yes. How to do it:

First, get a time machine.
Then, travel to the future.
Then download JADE.
Then go back to the present.
Then play JADE!!!

:D

(plays some) Wow, playing JADE is really awesome! I have trouble finding a use for the Mountain Hermit, though. Is he just for flavor?

Shockwave612
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
So I got the quest to clear out the Gnoll stronghold west of Brahalan the human town, you know the one where you get your first option to own your first shop. Anyways, I made my way through there and I've come to a gate on the 3rd floor of this place and its locked, no key in sight! Killed the gatekeeper he had no key nor did his guards. Ive tried and it looks like the walls near the gate are un-diggable. Anyone make it past this part in JADE yet?

Where'd ya get your time machine dude?

Molach
10-04-2010, 10:05 PM
His great-great-grandson invented one in hundred and ten years, and sent it back as a gift.

About the gnoll stronghold, it is highly dangerous and the rewards are hardly worth it, so don't feel too bad about skipping it for now. To get in, you can do that in a great many ways
- Teleport in. While the spell is probably gonna be unavailable for a while untill you can gain the needed skills and spell research, you could try a random teleport in - from a NPC or one of the unique items. However, teleport control is not what it was in ADOM, and with the possible item displacement, confusion and (travel)sickness, this is quite risky in a dangerous place like the stronghold.
-Use a rope and grapple hook along with climbing or acrobatic skill-mastery ability.
- Theoretically you could travel to Gordanoth, clear the workshop and manufacture a battering ram there. And somehow dig up the mounts and crew to drag it back and operate it.
- Just mentioned those other possibilities in case you encounter similar problems later on. In your case, place something heavy on the tile with the trigger trap 4 paces in front of the gate, and you'll see. A corpse should do the trick.

Shockwave612
10-05-2010, 03:46 PM
No seriously how do you play JADE?

Laukku
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
No seriously how do you play JADE?

Imagination, my friend. Imagination.

That's how it's possible.

Now use your imagination, and share all of your imaginary JADE adventures with us! Fakeposts FTW!

Laukku
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
About the gnoll stronghold, it is highly dangerous and the rewards are hardly worth it

I disagree. The Whip of Commanding is simply awesome - if you're the correct alignment. It makes pets so much easier to handle.

Cash
10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
im confused as to how you are asking a gameplay question about an unmade game

gut
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I disagree. The Whip of Commanding is simply awesome - if you're the correct alignment. It makes pets so much easier to handle.

Only loosers fool with pets! They suck almost as much as they did in ADOM, as
they still drain away half your xp. Personally, I find the 'reverse wood' reward to
have more potential. You can brew it into a super-rare 'reverse potion' if you
have the potion making skill (as my wizards always do), changing fire spells to
ice is awesome. I still think there are other uses for it though, one might be
able to chuck it at a hag and get blessed instead of cursed :D

Dudley
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Throw it at a gorgon. You'll find the living dungeon, inside which you'll meet the fairy of power, which allows you to port to the high elemental dungeons (Volcano, Sky, Underground, Sea and Thought). There, you'll get the elemental fairies, which, in addition to being super useful to any elementalist (and moderately to any caster) Are nessecary to pass the First gate, leading to the Time Palace. This is absolutely vital for any short lived race, since you will become unaging when you finish that place.

_Ln_
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Throw it at a gorgon. You'll find the living dungeon, inside which you'll meet the fairy of power, which allows you to port to the high elemental dungeons (Volcano, Sky, Underground, Sea and Thought). There, you'll get the elemental fairies, which, in addition to being super useful to any elementalist (and moderately to any caster) Are nessecary to pass the First gate, leading to the Time Palace. This is absolutely vital for any short lived race, since you will become unaging when you finish that place.

It's only in Zelda mode, no?

Grey
10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Only loosers fool with pets! They suck almost as much as they did in ADOM, as
they still drain away half your xp.

Not if you get the Beastiality talent on a bard - then every 24 hours you gain 60% of your pet's xp. After a trip to the gruelord's lair with my Salamander pet I went from level 47 to 63 in one night! Took a lot of permanent fire damage in the process though - won't be able to complete the Queen's Itch quest now :(

Laukku
10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Only loosers fool with pets!

Only losers write "losers" with two o's. :)

Hey, you actually used the forum's quote function! How often does that happen?
[/off topic]

Currently I have a Greater Destroyer as a pet that Destroys all nasty mobs easily, and the Whip ensures it won't turn against me. However I'm Evil- now, and I can't complete the Saint quest anymore. :(

By the way, has anyone tried using the Whip with townsfolk? Hilarious.

EDIT: Oh my god, the Greater Destroyer got just enough PV after gaining yet another level to be unaffected by the Whip. When I realised what had happened, the thing had already turned on me, and I'm in deep trouble now. Luckily I'm disintegration resistant, so I won't be instakilled, but I've already lost half of my gear.

Travis Prue
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Did somebody say time travel?
http://sivland.com/drwho.jpg

Laukku
10-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh my god, the Greater Destroyer got just enough PV after gaining yet another level to be unaffected by the Whip. When I realised what had happened, the thing had already turned on me, and I'm in deep trouble now. Luckily I'm disintegration resistant, so I won't be instakilled, but I've already lost half of my gear.

I thought I was done for, but luckily I managed to survive! And how did I do it? Well...

IMPORTANT YAGBU: Greater Destroyers are highly vulnerable to the Create Item spell. (Whoa, talk about TDTTOE! o_O) Probably ordinary Destroyers are as well, I don't know about Master Destroyers or higher. This obscure trick should be of great help to anyone having trouble with these bastards. Lucky that I accidentally casted Create Item instead of Greater Volcanic Eruption. :D

MrNiceguy
10-22-2010, 04:05 AM
Did somebody say time travel?

I think I did tomorrow.

Must say I'm enjoying the wrestler class. The obvious races, (troll, minotaur, giant) are fun, but try it with a hurthling! You have to play pretty conservatively at first and restrict your grappling to smaller enemies, but once you've got some strength built up, look out! (In case you haven't figured it out, the hurthling's thrown-weapons bonus applies to throwing enemies, too!)

nathrakh
10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
So far I've only played a few games with an Archeologist. I got insanely lucky with one; I found the Gem of Fiery Retribution at low level when I digged some walls in a dungeon. If you didn't know, this one does AoE fire damage to all hostile mobs in 3 tile radius every 2 turns.. lower monsters die to one tick of this baby! Be careful of fire elementals (often found past DL 6+); they can hit an Archeologist hard! Actually I was unfortunate enough to encounter this "rare" named mob called Nombo the Witch. Apparently he was immune to my artifact and blasted me to oblivion with his/her spells. :-(

Sradac
10-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Dark Elf wrestlers are SURPRISINGLY fun. Since they have a natural affinity for the poison skill, all you need is to find a pair of spiked brawler gloves, or some other martial weapon with spikes, blades etc and they can really wrack up the damage quickly. Gives them the feel of being one of those hold nothing back win at all cost pit fighters.

drakonandor
10-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Grr I saw this thread and got excited... really excited... :(

Laukku
10-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Dark Elf wrestlers are SURPRISINGLY fun. Since they have a natural affinity for the poison skill, all you need is to find a pair of spiked brawler gloves, or some other martial weapon with spikes, blades etc and they can really wrack up the damage quickly.

But naturally that won't work on monsters that are poison&slashing resistant, such as most constructs. What AFAIK works best against them is pickaxes or the monks' kicking.

By the way, I've discovered that the Mind Control spell can be used for something else than making temporary pets... Politics. Right now, due to not being skilled enough with the spell, I can't influence city politics much, but managed to make the current mayor murder innocent townspeople. :p Now he's going to be replaced, and I'm intending to become the next one... then I'll get more and more power. World domination, here I come!

breeolson
11-23-2010, 02:29 AM
But naturally that won't work on monsters that are poison&slashing resistant, such as most constructs. What AFAIK works best against them is pickaxes or the monks' kicking.

By the way, I've discovered that the Mind Control spell can be used for something else than making temporary pets... Politics. Right now, due to not being skilled enough with the spell, I can't influence city politics much, but managed to make the current mayor murder innocent townspeople. :p Now he's going to be replaced, and I'm intending to become the next one... then I'll get more and more power. World domination, here I come!
Meh, it's overrated. Your better off choosing to be a caravanneer. The movement and speed boosts are amazing. 10 speed and 300 movement points may not seem like much, but it completely changes my game.

Dudley
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Nothing's better than Doppelganger bards. I love being what i kill. And i have such an awesome skillset due to studying monsters. helped by changing to being a huge brain before gaining levels.

Laukku
06-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh my god you won't believe what a day I've had! So, I booted JADE, and there I was, playing it! First there were, like, pink elephants, and stuff, and dragons and beautiful butterflies and it was all so pretty! I killed them all, and it was so sad, because they had to die, but it didn't matter, because there would be more monsters spawning! And they, like, left me all kinds of cool stuff, and they were really cool, like red herrings, and sparklies, and the pink sword of cuteness!! Oh my god!! And I did all kinds of awesome epic quests with extreme ease, because I had a very cute artifact sword, and I rescued a dragon from the princess, prevented the invasion of the angry puppies, and became the king of the shoes! Then my dude died, because I wore an amulet of death saving, and I was sad, but it was all right, because my character had do die anyway, so my story would have and end, so I could stop telling it! ...So there you have it, JADE has all kinds of deep and interesting content and will revolutionise the gaming industry. It's clever mechanics are unmatched, and will leave players wanting for more.

ethical
07-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Oh my god you won't believe what a day I've had! So, I booted JADE, and there I was, playing it! First there were, like, pink elephants, and stuff, and dragons and beautiful butterflies and it was all so pretty! I killed them all, and it was so sad, because they had to die, but it didn't matter, because there would be more monsters spawning! And they, like, left me all kinds of cool stuff, and they were really cool, like red herrings, and sparklies, and the pink sword of cuteness!! Oh my god!! And I did all kinds of awesome epic quests with extreme ease, because I had a very cute artifact sword, and I rescued a dragon from the princess, prevented the invasion of the angry puppies, and became the king of the shoes! Then my dude died, because I wore an amulet of death saving, and I was sad, but it was all right, because my character had do die anyway, so my story would have and end, so I could stop telling it! ...So there you have it, JADE has all kinds of deep and interesting content and will revolutionise the gaming industry. It's clever mechanics are unmatched, and will leave players wanting for more.

Lol!..

But seriously, bad timing when the game is released one day later :P