PDA

View Full Version : Question about slaying weapons...

RndmNumGenerator
04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
This is something that I've been thinking about for a while. I know, for example, that the ACW is both a Demon and a Dragon, so it is vulnerable to either of those slaying weapons. The question I have, is what other(common) monsters are dual-type? For example, are undead such as skeletons and ghouls weak to humanoid slaying as well as undead slaying? What about daemons such as molochs and greater/lesser/least demons? Is there any way to determine in-game what families monsters belong to?

meh
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Most undead are indeed humanoids. There is no direct way to see what groups a monster belongs to, but you can check for behaviour that is dependant on it. The most convenient method to determine if something is a humanoid is trying to pickpocket it - only humanoids have pockets.

JellySlayer
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't know of any way to tell other than trial and error. If you 'L'ook at monsters, it may give some hints as to what they are. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that most daemons & are also humanoid, as are most L, W, z, and Z undead. G undead such as ghosts and spectres are definitely not humanoid. I think grues may be daemons and also constructs (or maybe just stone grues are constructs?). Steel zombies and steel horrors are probably both constructs and undead, but bone golems are definitely not undead. I believe all monsters who are classified as giants are also humanoids, including, eg. ogres.

Humanoid slaying is generally considered one of the most desirable slayers both because a lot of very powerful monsters are humanoid, but also because there are a huge number of crossovers between humanoid and various other groups.

Xanthine
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
JellySlayer's name makes me wonder if anything is a jelly in addition to its other types.

Al-Khwarizmi
04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
JellySlayer's name makes me wonder if anything is a jelly in addition to its other types.

Of course, there's stuff of jelly slaying as well.

Xanthine
04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, yes, there's stuff of jelly slaying, but I wonder if there's anything that is, say, a Demon Jelly.

Silfir
04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Um... Writhing masses of primal chaos, possibly? Could also be they double as constructs. Or are they only jelly?

Subconscious
04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Green blobs are counted also as vegetabl... plants.

edit: and WMoPC:es are only jelly AFAIK

RndmNumGenerator
04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I just had an odd occurance... As a mainly melee character, I've always had some problem with normal elementals, yet in the Blue Dragon Caves I just encountered a greater water elemental. First hit -> Critically Damage. Second hit -> Dead. Normally I used Skullcrusher, but because I was in the BDC I was wielding Wyrmlance at the time. So... do elementals count as dragons?

Silfir
04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I think you were just lucky. You had one critical hit and the second didn't have to take off much in the way of HP after that. Wyrmlance does quite a bit more damage than Skullcrusher. Also, BDC - how lang ago is it that you last fought a water elemental? The water temple or Darkforge, maybe? You were of a lot lower level back then! Also, if it's your first greater water elemental chances are it was barely experienced, while you may have killed some water elementals, making the last few ones you may have met pretty experienced.

A programming oversight that made greater water elementals dragons? - by Occam's Razor I deduce that you must've been lucky :) Assuming a programming oversight assumes that the Creator must've been stupid enough to assing a dragon tag to an elemental and not noticing it, which would be pretty hard to have happen compared to the simple critical hit chance any character has on any attack ;)

Necropassion
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I think grues may be daemons and also constructs (or maybe just stone grues are constructs?)

I seem to remember hearing someplace than grues are unlife, as well as daemons. Though I suppose they could be constructs as well.

Soirana
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
unlife=undead+cinstructs. I am sure grues are not undead

Subconscious
04-22-2009, 06:13 AM
I think that all elementals are constructs.

Grey
04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Grues are demons only, elementals are constructs only.

RndmNumGenerator
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I seem to remember hearing someplace than grues are unlife, as well as daemons.

Daemons are NOT unlife. You can't sacrifice unlife, and I've sacced plenty of daemons in my day.

Interesting discovery about Grues I just discovered in the Earth Temple; Despite being grues, creatures of the darkness, they can't fight in the dark. Helps a lot with reducing corruption if you're completely surrounded by them.

Soirana
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Grues are demons only, elementals are constructs only.

huh? I know to ways to check flags -
A) use monsterdex
B) use test char with appropriate slaying ammo.

Both ways tell same here - gures are construct demons. No how do you decided this is wrong?

Grey
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Good golly gosh you're right - my apologies for my erroneous information. Not quite sure how I screwed that up - I blame gut somehow...

Necropassion
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Daemons are NOT unlife. You can't sacrifice unlife, and I've sacced plenty of daemons in my day.

Interesting discovery about Grues I just discovered in the Earth Temple; Despite being grues, creatures of the darkness, they can't fight in the dark. Helps a lot with reducing corruption if you're completely surrounded by them.

No, I didn't mean daemons are unlife, but rather that grues fall into that category as well as the daemon category. I might very well be mistaken in this, though.

gut
04-23-2009, 02:17 AM
> I blame gut somehow...

I'll take that blame. I also thought that grues were not
constructs off the top of my head. As for grues not seeing
in the dark, it's true, but it makes no sense to me.

Grey
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the grue/darkness thing must be a very silly oversight. I once encountered a threat room of stone grues all inthe dark - led to some easy xp, but I felt so silly killing them all in darkness.

gut
04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
It's pitch black, you are likely to kill a grue?

Sadface
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
It is pitch black. You are likely to eat a grue.

Do grues leave corpses, ever? ._.

Epythic
04-23-2009, 10:51 PM
It is pitch black. You are likely to eat a grue.

It's pitch black. They are likely to be eaten by you.

PS: I love Gruesome.