PDA

View Full Version : Mission ADOMPossible Signup

JellySlayer
10-04-2011, 05:16 AM
This is the official signup thread for the Mission ADOMPossible challenge. This is a mission-based challenge when you will be competing against other players, either as a team or as a single, to try to make it through (most) of the game, while wracking up points for surviving each challenge. If you are interested in signing up, please post here, and indicate whether you prefer to play as a single or on a team, and if you are able to play on the server or not. Please note that I am actively trying to encourage people to play on teams, so I will happily give unfair disadvantages to singles. The challenge will take approximately one four weeks, starting hopefully sometime next week, depending on numbers. You should be prepared to play ~5000 turns every 3-4 days (about an hour or so, I'd guess).

How It Works

Players will be divided into teams, the size of which will depend on the number of players who join. I will probably assign people on teams mostly randomly, but I'll make sure each team has at least one "experienced" player on it. Prior to the start of the challenge, each team will receive a randomly assigned set of races, one for each player. Each team will then make a list of all of the classes in to play, in order from most favoured to least favoured. Then, each team will be assigned one class for each player based on their lists and a random draw, so that (unless we get a tonne of players), no class will be played twice. Teams then combine their races and classes to create a set of characters.

Singles should also submit a complete list of classes. In the draw, I will count all singles as one team, then will randomly assign the chosen class to one of the players within the "singles" team.

At the start of each round, all players will receive an identical mission, and players on teams will choose who will get to play which character. The mission will have a set number of turns, and set locations that the PC is allowed to visit. The PC will be required to reach a certain area, kill a particular monster, or retrieve a particular item. Completion of the mission will count as 1 point for your team per player. Incomplete missions will count as zero. If you die, then on the next mission, that team must reroll that PC from level 1 and play the mission with that character. Newly spawned PCs will receive 1000 extra turns of play to complete their mission.

At the end of each round, scores will be tallied for all surviving players. The team with the lowest score for the mission will then be allowed a steal. In a steal, they may trade any character of theirs for any character from the highest scoring team, or any single, subject to the following restriction: if the stealing team is trading a dead PC, they can only get a dead PC in return; if they are trading a living PC, they may steal a living PC. Note that this rule only applies to the current mission. PCs that have died in previous missions but are currently alive may be traded for other living PCs. If multiple teams are tied for the lowest score, then each team will get a steal. Teams must post .vlgs of all of their characters at the end of each round. Teams must accurately report relevant details concerning their PCs at the end of the mission, such as the locations of any caches of important items, for example. Single players will never be able to steal, but may be stolen from.

Players so far:

JellySlayer (Teams, Server)
Tihh (Teams, Server)
_Ln_ (Teams, Server)
grobblewobble (Teams, Server)
Silfir (Teams, EU Server)
zsomkovacs (Teams, No server)
Albahan (Teams, Server)
ShiftJC (Teams, ?)
Grey (Single)
bl0ken (Teams, Server)
Soirana (Single)
gekko (Teams, No server)

Tihh
10-04-2011, 05:57 AM
I'd like to participate in this challenge. I'm interested in playing in teams and I could play on the server.

Soirana
10-04-2011, 07:04 AM
I missed some points...

So team gets to play one person/one char per mission?

_Ln_
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm in as a team player and surely can play on the server.

grobblewobble
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
In as team. Can server.

EDIT:
What I mean is that I can play on the server. However, if you need an extra team member in a non-server team, I will happily fill that role, it would save me having to re-install putty and stuff.

JellySlayer
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I missed some points...

So team gets to play one person/one char per mission?

Yes. If Team A has 4 players, then each player will play their own character for Mission 1. At the end of the mission, they can swap characters amongst the players on the team as they like (probably subject to a requirement that you can't play the same character twice in a row) for the next one. If a PC dies, a new PC of the same race/class gets rolled and added to their roster in replacement of the original for the next mission.

Silfir
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm in this so hard it's not even funny. I can also play on the server - the European one, at least. I suspect JellySlayer might lump me in with the "experienced player" crowd based on my embarrassing postcount and twenty-five wins, so I apologize in advance to the team that's going to have to pull my weight.

Also, to all newbies and lurkers around that might not have been around for past events, do not hesitate to jump in. Regardless of how serious business this stuff looks with all the rules and whatnot, it's still basically you having fun playing ADOM, with a twist. And if the dudes and dudettes with postcounts above 1000 start flaming each other, do remember that having a postcount of 1000 and above is equivalent to being certified insane. Nothing is meant to offend, for we do not understand basic human customs. We are as ape-people, fit only for eating bananas and playing the shit out of ADOM.

zsomkovacs
10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm in. I'll play in teams, but can't play on server.

Albahan
10-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm down to be in a team, and I can play on a server.

ShiftJC
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd like to join in, but I have two issues:
1. I'm really new to this. The furthest I've ever got is just past the water temple.
2. I am really restricted to when I can play, which is mostly a few hours at night time (as in after 8PM GMT+0) and occasionally day time, would this be a problem?

Even if I can't join this looks like it would be really fun.

EDIT: Oh and if I can join, I'd prefer team.

Grey
10-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Please note that I am actively trying to encourage people to play on teams, so I will happily give unfair disadvantages to singles.

You do realise that just makes me want to do singles more? ;)

I'd prefer to do teams actually, but I can't - I simply don't have time to keep track of things properly, so I shall have to play as a lone wolf. I don't mind if I get given the worst class as punishment. I shall play on the server.

Silfir
10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
@ShiftJC: Neither of those should be a problem. There is no skill level requirement (and "just past the Water Temple" isn't bad). The time limit is in the days range, and it doesn't matter what time of day you play.

_Ln_
10-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I'd like to join in, but I have two issues:
1. I'm really new to this. The furthest I've ever got is just past the water temple.

Actually, there are a lot of experienced players on the forums (postcount > 3000) that get killed by stone block traps or viper pits early on. You should be able to beat them just fine.

Also, I think we already (well, at least I) need a flame thread.

bl0kem
10-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes! I like this. Sign me up for a team or anything really. I will play on the server.

grobblewobble
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe it is a good idea to send PMs to currently inactive posters who may have missed this thread but could still be interested?

Soirana
10-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Singleton probably no server, although i have not tried any server in last year - so it may actually work.

gekko
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm in. Team player, no server.

Baranor
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm in. Team all the way. I haven't tried the server in so long, but if my computer comes soon, I will try to get it wired up. So, I will say non-server for now, but that could change in the next couple weeks.

ShiftJC
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that Silfir, definitely count me in then ;D

(Just past the water temple is with a G/Elf Wizzy who I went to bug temple with, then ID, then Dark Forge raid. I've never managed to get another character even into the CoC, keep making stupid mistakes :S)

Baranor
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Shall we get this party started? The activity level has just disappeared. I'm excited to start playing!

vogonpoet
10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Whoah, am I too late? Is any one here? Can I play on an EU server team? What happened to the lemon chiffon?

gut
10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
The sign up thread WAS the challenge. On behalf of JellySlayer, let me congratulate all
of those who took part in this years Mission Impossible sign up thread challenge. I say
congratulations to all the winners and shame on all the losers. I'm sure I speak for
everybody when I say that I hope we do this again next year.

Oh, the lemmon shiffon was nixxed because the old forums were good at keeping out
spammers, but not hackers. Biskup had to upgrade to a version that is good at keeping
out hackers but not spammers. Along with the version change, we got a color change.
Invisitext nightmares all over the place.

vogonpoet
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Well that's a shame - I just beat Crawl for the first time for great roguelike justice (http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/vogonpoet/morgue-vogonpoet-20111026-154129.txt), and a wee ADOM tourney would have been perfect to bring me back down to earth.