PDA

View Full Version : Dynamically changing character appearance

Nezur
05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I wrote about this in another thread a while ago but sadly people didn't seem to notice it. I'd like to know your opinion about this.

The height and the weight of the PC in the background screen could be changed dynamically by character stats. For instance a character with massive strength would be heavier due to the weight of enormous muscles. PCs would be able to gain weight or become skinny. Stout characters would be rather slow-moving (+ DV hit) but could cope better with starvation and skinny characters would be able to move slightly faster but cope worse with starvation. An "abnormal" corpulence state could always lower Toughness by an amount. Corruption effects might also turn your skin slightly purple, hair white and eyes black for example.

F50
05-04-2008, 08:05 PM
probably turn your eyes red, but yes. It would be neat, but somewhat useless as none of those stats are actually used in-game.

I do like the idea though.

Grey
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
You say that stats should affect weight and weight should affect stats? Isn't that a little circular? Anyay, I'm not against the idea, if it's properly implemented and not open to abuse. Could be an interesting flavour element at least.

Elone
05-05-2008, 04:38 AM
I dont like the fact that every single tiny thing would affect stats in ADOM2. It would be nice to leave it there for flavour. Although, since I'm slightly conservative about this particular topic, I'd rather only have smaller amounts of changes on myself, I dont want to start the game while KNOWING that I'm doomed to turn from a pretty elf to a horrible mutant by the end of every game.

Which brings me to a thought: Corruption was a severe problem in ADOM1, but will it even exist in ADOM2? And if so, then wont it be much weaker? The world is huge. To even have a remote chance of exploring most of it, you cannot be affected by corruption as badly as earlier.

Nezur
05-05-2008, 10:05 AM
You say that stats should affect weight and weight should affect stats? Isn't that a little circular?

Uh, good point. I meant that eating too much just causes a "Fat" condition which would affect stats like some other buff ("Blessed" for instance). If you're heavier than average due to large muscles there wouldn't be the negative modifiers... I guess. You would have to think the actual role of Strength as an attribute. High strength equals fast limb movement. Therefore strength should increase speed?

This idea isn't perfect and has to be polished.

Anyay, I'm not against the idea, if it's properly implemented and not open to abuse. Could be an interesting flavour element at least.

In my opinion flavour elements are important as they enhance the atmosphere of roguelikes.

I dont want to start the game while KNOWING that I'm doomed to turn from a pretty elf to a horrible mutant by the end of every game.

I see your point, but isn't it like that in ADOM already?

Corruption can cured. PCs could lose weight etc. Nothing would be permanent.

Which brings me to a thought: Corruption was a severe problem in ADOM1, but will it even exist in ADOM2? And if so, then wont it be much weaker? The world is huge. To even have a remote chance of exploring most of it, you cannot be affected by corruption as badly as earlier.

Corruption is likely to exist in JADE or whatever it will be called. See the corruption thread (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=32).

According to Thomas corruption will be less significant in the game.

Elone
05-06-2008, 01:29 AM
I KNOW that it was already how it went in ADOM, and I didnt like it. JADE is somewhat of a fresh start - I'd like to use the chance of JADE appearing, to play (virtually) the same game, just without being rushed and crippled by corruption.

The fact that corruption can be cured, does not mean that it's still desirable.

Nezur
05-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I KNOW that it was already how it went in ADOM, and I didnt like it. JADE is somewhat of a fresh start - I'd like to use the chance of JADE appearing, to play (virtually) the same game, just without being rushed and crippled by corruption.

The fact that corruption can be cured, does not mean that it's still desirable.

I see. In my opinion corruption is a feature that makes the game more fun and therefore I would include it in JADE as well.

However in JADE it's not reasonable to make corruption as significant game element as in ADoM due to the huge size of the game world and the time that will be spent exploring it.

Silfir
05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
How about not making JADE a game about losing weight? Or is there anyone among us who has fun losing weight in the real world?

Nezur
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
How about not making JADE a game about losing weight? Or is there anyone among us who has fun losing weight in the real world?

I don't want to make JADE a game about slimming. Getting fat would just be a fun realistic side effect if you gorge yourself over a long period of time. Trying to lose weight in real world is a lot more tedious and difficult than it would be in a game. There are also many things in ADOM that I definitely wouldn't want to experience in real life. :)

Of course this particular feature isn't necessary in any way. It is just one part of my suggestion and I thought it would be fun in-game. One point of this suggestion was to make attributes affect the information that can now be seen in the background screen of ADOM. To be honest I'm starting to doubt whether the "fat feature" is a good idea after all. :)

Narvius
05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Hello...

I remember that in Fable you *could* get thinner or fatter, it had no significant influence (iirc, at least) except a little secret.

And I think JADE was intended to be moddable, right? So why don't leave the *important* stuff to Mr. World Maker and add the rest (eg. this) by ourselves?

Elone
05-06-2008, 10:21 PM
The more it progresses, the more it seems that ADOM2 will be a closed source like ADOM1 was. Creator may release a limited quest editor, or a regex feature, but that's it. Let's wait, and put some trust into Creator. Enjoy hoping, though.

reich
05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Getting fat would just be a fun realistic side effect if you gorge yourself over a long period of time.

In ADoM I walk around Bloated most of the time, because I want to make as much use as possible from any food I find. I think it's safer that way, as starvation is a constant threat. So in JaDe my PCs would get enormously fat if I continued with that habit!

Nezur
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
So in JaDe my PCs would get enormously fat if I continued with that habit!

Just like in real life. It would be a punishment for eating ludicrous amounts of food.

A challenge game: Eat until you reach the "morbid obesity" state and keep it that way throughout the game.