PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a landlord

reich
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
It's high time c-rpg reached this level of player - world interaction, so maybe JADE will fulfill it.

Possibly, in JADE the PC could become the owner of a village. How to get one? Simply purchase it for a hefty sum from the previous owner. Or receive the land from a king or liege lord as reward for noble deeds. Or conquer it with your army :)

Once you have some real estate, it would generate revenue every so often. You could raise it by enforcing higher taxes on the population, at the cost of losing popularity with the people. You could spend the money on your own purposes or use it to make some investments in your domains. Sponsoring a temple, defensive walls or a grain mill. A prosperous village would attract new settlers, thus increasing your revenue - the circle closes :)

It would be nice to be able to organise militias that protect your lands from raiders and other perils. And maybe recruit some of these men as companions, to aid you in clearing some nearby dungeons.

Same thing would apply if you happened to be the lord of a town or city.

I might be getting carried away a little (basing on the announcements from the old site), and I sure don't want Jade to become Serfcity (or Simcity) but I think those very general ideas are worth considering :)

Tnx
07-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Or how about leader of a bunch of bandits or monsters that have turned from evil to good or something like that? Sooo many possibilities... Or if you are a mage then you can summon servants and such to build a tower for yourself. All this of course would be more mid to late game right? The quests to get control of a town should be on the hard side.. not kill X amount of wolves but something like kill uniqe ogre or demon or something.

Tinan
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Check out Mount & Blade, http://www.taleworlds.com/ (here).

It's not a Roguelike by a long stretch, and it has no fantasy elements (although there are mods that add these to the game), but it qualifies as a CRPG and is very very good in my opinion. More relevantly it fulfils all of the landlord desires of the OP.

Sradac
09-15-2008, 03:44 AM
[QUOTE=reich;7338]It's high time c-rpg reached this level of player - world interaction, so maybe JADE will fulfill it.

QUOTE]

Baldurs Gate 2 had a very basic form of this called the stronghold quests, and Neverwinter Nights 2 improved on it a lot. So with the "its high time" comment its already been done just not in a roguelike. Not sure what other crpgs have land ownership but im sure there have to be others out there. Oh yeah duh.

Elona

http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

Its actually a lot of fun and the graphics in it arent hideous like many tilesets out there. Its just so damn hard, its even more unforgiving than adom.

Chaine
10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Being a landlord is a pretty good idea, but would probably be troublesome programming and foremost it would be a pain to balance in a way that people won't earn a zillion gazllion in a day.
I've always liked the idea of buying and renting out buildings though, I'm excited to see how it works in Fable II. I especially like ideas like changing the monthly rent and it affecting your law/crime or good/evil stats.

ivoryknight
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea of incorporating land ownership into JADE. An adventurer should be free roaming, pretty much a mercenary, and should never settle down. I think adding land ownership to JADE would simply take it out of the realm of fantasy and put into management/simulation type games. There are plenty of games which let you manage and grow an empire, ADOM and JADE should stick to fantasy/adventuring. The idea is to develop a hero, not an empire.

Sradac
11-08-2008, 08:08 AM
great thing about jade is you wont HAVE to be an adventurer. you can if you want to. you can also be a simple shopkeep. or a humble monk staying in his temple the whole time. or a farmer. or even a landlord. good stuff!

Chaine
11-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea of incorporating land ownership into JADE. An adventurer should be free roaming, pretty much a mercenary, and should never settle down. I think adding land ownership to JADE would simply take it out of the realm of fantasy and put into management/simulation type games. There are plenty of games which let you manage and grow an empire, ADOM and JADE should stick to fantasy/adventuring. The idea is to develop a hero, not an empire.

I think the absolute opposite. Better up, I'll motivate:
In a perfect roleplaying game adventurers should be able to settle down completely - and still win the game. That means the player should be able to make a steady living soley in being a landlord or trading between cities aswell as levling up soley by using the skills equivalent to speechcraft, merchantile, convince, laungage, alchemy, farming, herbalism, crafting, smithing and so on. Afterall there are traders in every single major RPG and most roguelikes. They only aren't playable and the player trading is fairly simple.
This ofcourse also requires the game doesn't have an ultimate goal like "slay the super serpent at the bottom of the super dungeon" - but if it does the trader player could recruit mercenaries or such to fight for him.
I think "social" or "civil" skills should be added next to the common combat, magic, stealth.

Sradac
11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Harvest Moon ftw

WickedGood
12-07-2008, 05:04 AM
This ofcourse also requires the game doesn't have an ultimate goal like "slay the super serpent at the bottom of the super dungeon" - but if it does the trader player could recruit mercenaries or such to fight for him.
Or perhaps crafting that superior equipment, or training a young prodigy....I think there should be an ultimate goal in JADE, and I think if the player "avoids" it, then the world eventually crashes around them (in a fashion similar to, if not exactly like, the corruptions of ADOM). However, there can be many ways to support the causes of righteousness and/or destruction (or both simultaneously!), and I'd love to see a game allow for an open-ended manner of 'fitting in'.

Heck, the game COULD already have all the necessary components for victory instilled in the NPCs, and the player could simply be the guy who introduces everyone to eachother :-P

Sradac
12-07-2008, 09:37 PM
npc's ARE pc's so its pretty possible. npcs can move between region to region just like monsters, so it'd be cool becomming a super powerful lord, hiring a party of mercs to do take down chaos for you and letting them bring you back those chaos orbs for a hefty price. ooh then even more possibilities can be thrown in, maybe the merc that was carrying the orb was tainted by chaos and he ended up killing his companions and taking the orb to himself, fleeing to some ancient ruins 5 days travel away. then you gotta ask yourself, damnit, do I go track this bastard down myself and take his money, gear, loot and the orb? do I hire ANOTHER group aand hope they do it right this time, or do I take an alternative route such as summoning of beasts and elementals to go crush him. I really think an evolving, dynamic storyline is the way to go. a worlds "main quest" story could start out as

:Rid the world of chaos and corruption!:

and along the way the story could actually unfold

step 1: save the small puppy
step 2: investigate this old tower with hidden secrets
step 3: turns out chaos has not yet begun to come back, perhaps you could prevent it?
step 4: an NPC nemesis is generated bent on unleasing chaos, and you hear whispers of a dark savant pillaging the land
step 5: its a race between you and this mysterious adversary!!

and it can keep going from there. or it could evolve totally differently, maybe you enter a world thats already overwhelmed by corruption and you're hard pressed to find even a natural tree let alone friendly people. everyones out for themselves and its likely your humble piece of land will be under constant attack. better get buffed up or hire some goons. i know evolving storys would be possible with java, just drop in a presest list of steps in the story, a huge list btw, and break them down into beginning, middle, end. some could be major like chaos finally broke through the chaos gate to very minor changes such as the lord of a huge city was assassinated, throwing it into dissaray. ok that last ones not minor really, but it probably wouldnt affect the whole stop chaos thing.