View Full Version : two ideas

ancient karmic drake
12-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I have two ideas,
One is an alchemist's shop, which would sell spellbooks, potions, AND herbs,
The second is tomes/tracts/manuals of _insert skill here_

Fullmoon
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Ок. First one — no. Herbs are dungeon-generated-only items for a reason... Though they really are hard to find.
Manuals... I don't know. It would be too unbalanced. You can learn spells (in ADOM) almost infinitely; you have only 100 skill points.

vogonpoet
12-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Err, in ADOM at least, herbs are generally a lot more common than spellbooks. You can basically harvest as many as you want, whenever you want, unless you screw things up badly. Why should the unknown JADE universe not feature Alchemist shops with herbs, I don't get it. Towns might even contain houses with herb gardens, why not?

Manuals of skill on the other hand, unless its an almost useless skill like bridge building, would be pretty powerful, very possibly too powerful. But then, in a JADE sized world (BIG), anything which is incredibly powerful, you just make obscenely rare, and only obtainable through a horrendously difficult quest, so I don't really see the urge to throw any ideas out just on the basis of "overpowered". In ADOM, the TotRR is clearly overpowered. The AMummyW is overpowered also, albeit less clearly so. One is available near the start of a game, one at the end. Often, "overpowered" is just a case of correct pacing.

The backstory behind the quest to obtain the fabled artifact book "On being Alert in a Dangerous Worlde" by a famous Dark Elven Monk of yesteryear could probably be made quite interesting...

Fullmoon
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Hmm. OK, you might be right.

The Metro Gnome
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Who ever said herbs had to be common/rare in JADE? Who ever said that they will have the same herbs? Why does JADE have to be like ADOM? The benefits of creating a totally new game is you can make new rules for it.

But for the manual thing, it should be a very rare shop like pets in ADOM. They should also kinda work like the manual of bridge building then, where you have to have it to level up. Over all a pretty good idea.

modular
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
It would make sense to me if for example the thief guild would have some books on sneaking skills, and the guild master (when killed or when you do a quest) would hold on to the most important skill for that particular skill tree. Tho I have no idea how jade skills work lol.