Weighted Monster Generation
issueid=1116 07-05-2012 03:39 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Weighted Monster Generation

I thought I'd propose this as a way to spice up the endgame a little bit:

At present, if you go wandering around with a powerful PC in a high DL area, most of the monsters are still going to be so far beneath you as to be completely pointless to fight--there are a fairly large number of rats and goblins and hill giants and things--basically monsters that are completely interchangeable for a high level PC in that they die in one hit, are incapable of harming you, and give no xp.

Emperor liches, lich kings, ancient dragons, great wyrms, greater molochs/titans, unicorns, doppleganger kings, ghost kings, quickling kings/queens, ki-irins, frost giant jarls, stone oozes, balors, etc.--pretty much all of the dangerous high DL monsters---are pretty rare except for those that show up in greater vaults. In a typical game, you're probably not going to see more than one or two of the guys on this list spawning randomly. What I'd like to see is that high DL areas have significantly reduced monster generation rates of low level monsters, and that the distribution skews toward the monsters that are actually interesting to fight.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1116
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-05-2012 04:50 PM
Ancient Member
Yes and no... I mean... probably a bit of skewing could be good, but only a little bit. Not like with the level scaling in ADOM II, where you seem to (almost) only see creatures matching your danger level. That makes dungeons very predictable.

07-05-2012 06:01 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Yes and no... I mean... probably a bit of skewing could be good, but only a little bit. Not like with the level scaling in ADOM II, where you seem to (almost) only see creatures matching your danger level. That makes dungeons very predictable.
Oh, no, I'm not suggesting anything that extreme. More like, say, if you're in a DL: N area, then any monster between DL:N and DL:N-10 is twice as likely to appear as normal or something.

07-05-2012 06:17 PM
Ancient Member
There is already level scaling, to some extent. In one game, I encountered a doppelgänger king on D:1 and a moloch on D:2. No kidding.

07-05-2012 06:27 PM
Ancient Member
Just to be clear, my complaint here is mostly with the endgame. I think the monster distribution pre-ToEF is pretty reasonable. It's just for an late-game character, there are so few monsters that are actually difficult, and all of them are very rare. Even just increasing the spawn rates of certain endgame monsters and holding everything else equal would be fine.

07-06-2012 01:54 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Oh, no, I'm not suggesting anything that extreme. More like, say, if you're in a DL: N area, then any monster between DL:N and DL:N-10 is twice as likely to appear as normal or something.
That sounds nice, yes.

07-06-2012 02:09 PM
Ancient Member
Mildly skewing monster generation towards more dangerous creatures would make for a more interesting late game. I voted "yes".

12-08-2012 05:45 PM
The Creator
I really like the idea although I am curious what it really will do to game balance. But I have implemented the weighted suggestion and we'll test this :-)

12-08-2012 08:58 PM
Ancient Member
Woo, this is going to be fun!

12-09-2012 05:14 PM
Ancient Member
It will maybe make more PCs, Tree Huggers.

01-07-2013 06:05 PM
Ancient Member
Has anyone noticed any difference, I'm still getting level 1 monsters on high danger levels?

01-07-2013 06:25 PM
I had a greater daemon spawn on D5 in p8. My character was level 16. I'm guessing it wasn't a particularly experienced greater daemon because it didn't give that much xp when killed.

09-19-2013 06:29 AM
Ancient Member
I've noticed that higher danger areas now spawn more experienced monsters. This has made it slightly more challenging for low level player characters venturing into higher danger level areas. More experienced low danger level monsters is however a pushover for experienced player characters.

I think, to solve issues with lategame ease and slow experience level gains, we should request that the lower danger level types of monsters has a smaller chance to spawn in higher danger areas and the higher danger level types of monsters has a higher chance to spawn in higher danger level areas?

This is basically what the original poster requested. I have taken atleast 7 characters to D:50 after this was implemented and haven't noticed the original request being implemented.

09-19-2013 08:03 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Mildly skewing monster generation towards more dangerous creatures would make for a more interesting late game. I voted "yes".
What are you opinion on "mildly" skewed monster generation which you tested? Is it ok to RFE?

09-19-2013 08:12 AM
I believe we should stop posting RFE about endgame. There is clearly something wrong right now with the difficulty level towards end of the game. Right now I have to characters around level 40 who are in my savegames ready to proceed with ultraendings and I am too bored with them to actually finish the game.
I believe there should be one topic were we could put ideas and then make a poll maybe to vote on them. This way we can give some reasonable list to the admin instead of throwing random ideas that put together will make a mess. Remember that if one person proposes Y and another person proposes X, while in separation the ideas may be valid, when put together they may break something.

09-19-2013 03:37 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by asdf
What are you opinion on "mildly" skewed monster generation which you tested? Is it ok to RFE?
I would say yes! Maybe notch it up a little more, but both of those test PCs were really buff, so perhaps it'll be just fine for a more average player.

10-04-2013 05:55 PM
I like this. also increase the spawn rate. so there are alot more of them.

01-22-2014 06:03 AM
The Creator
Should have been tackled once more as part of http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2601

+ Reply