Many items do not auto-identify when found, even if the PC has them in the identified items list
issueid=1232 09-05-2012 03:30 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Many items do not auto-identify when found, even if the PC has them in the identified items list
Certain items show up in their unidentified name when found as loot, even if the player has already identified them before.

Problem
Certain items will show up in their unidentified form if you find another as loot, even if you've IDed them before. For example, if I identify a steel amulet as an AoLS, further ones I find will insist on showing up as "steel amulets".

"Some items (especially amulets) don't auto-identify when you get a new one if a type you've already identified." -- sorear's wiki

A non-comprehensive list:
* Orcish helmets
* Mithril, adamantium and eternium caps
* Diadems of beauty
* Helms of leadership
* Helms of mental stability
* Helms of water breathing
* Crowns of fire, ice, lightning and regeneration
* Mummy wrappings (the non-artifact ones)
* Spider shell armors (the +5 PV ones)
* Girdles of weight
* Girdles of greed
* Girdles of giant strength
* Amulets of balance
* Amulets of chaos
* Amulets of greed
* Amulets of health
* Amulets of hunger
* Amulets of life saving
* Amulets of light
* Amulets of order
* Amulets of protection from constructs
* Amulets of protection from undead
* Amulets of speed
* Necklaces of rabies resistance
* Necklaces of rapid healing
* Necklaces of the eye
* Pendants of mana
* Bracers of defense, protection, regeneration, resistance, speed and toughness (i.e. all of them)
* Orcish daggers (the 2d3+5 kind)

How to reproduce it
During normal gameplay, try to find any of the above items and identify it. Then, keep on playing until you find another one. It will show up on its unIDed form, even though you have one in your inventory and know what it is.

Notes
A hacked 1.2.0pr1 savegame where this situation has been artificially recreated via scrolls of amnesia and two stacks of items is available upon request.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1232
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 6
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-05-2012 03:38 PM
Ancient Member
I was aware of this but always thought it was intended.

11-26-2012 10:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I was aware of this but always thought it was intended.
Seems like a bug to me, though I wouldn't be too surprised to find out otherwise.

12-10-2012 09:26 AM
The Creator
Helmets never are identified across the board - or am I mistaken? You really confused me on that one...

12-10-2012 09:55 AM
The Creator
Armor also never is identified across the board (spider shell).

12-10-2012 09:55 AM
The Creator
Neither weapons (orcish daggers).

12-10-2012 10:04 AM
The Creator
But some other items are surprising. And yes, there was a bug. I intended to not auto-identify categories with variable components (PV, DV, attribute modifiers, skill modifiers, speed modifiers) but the test for that was broken. Fixed!

12-10-2012 04:29 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
And yes, there was a bug. I intended to not auto-identify categories with variable components (PV, DV, attribute modifiers, skill modifiers, speed modifiers) but the test for that was broken. Fixed!
Does this mean what I reported is not a bug for some items, but identifying mithril boots, then automatically knowing the DV and PV modifiers of all further pairs of mithril boots you find is?

12-28-2012 04:26 PM
It should be possible to list metal boots properly as mithril boots (when you have discovered them), but not exhibit variable attributes like DV/PV. Just like the bless status may be known without knowing the other variable attributes.

06-23-2014 12:04 PM
It's it me or has this still not been fixed? I still have to use '/' screen to see if this shining necklace or amber amulet is something new or one I've previously found and the game didn't want to auto-ID. TB said above that items with variables wouldn't be auto-ID'd. Does the fact the I have to formally ID every necklace of rabies resistance have anything to do with a previous bug causing invisible, unused 'charges' caused various amulets to not stack?

06-24-2014 03:06 AM
Ancient Member
Pendants of beauty are still affected as of pr23, too.

06-24-2014 01:18 PM
Pendants of Beauty have a variable bonus, so I can understand why they wouldn't auto-id, given what TB said previously. I think I need to make a list up.

06-24-2014 08:22 PM
Well I'd say they should identify as "Pendant of beauty" without a bonus. Because you know it's a one, just don't know how good it is.

06-25-2014 12:44 PM
Well yeah, definitely. You can look it up using the '/' menu. Just a hassle really. And they can be under 'a'mulet 'n'ecklace or 'p'endant.

+ Reply