Change some monsters' properties/behavior
issueid=1293 10-23-2012 03:32 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Change some monsters' properties/behavior
Improve the level of detail in the game by altering how some monsters react with the game world.

Suggestion
The way some monsters behave or are affected by in-game elements should be changed or added to. For example:

* Shadows, slow shadows, shadow lords, pixies, pixie archers and will o'wisps trigger traps, and it feels they shouldn't (shadows are just that, the other ones creatures fly).
* Acid and lightning vortices should probably destroy webs like fire ones do. (Acid and lightning bolts already destroy webs in 1.2.0.)
* Jellies, plants, will o'wisps, living walls and wall beasts can bleed and that feels a bit weird to me (your mileage may vary).
* Shadows of all kinds can be pickpocketed. Literally stealing from a shadow sounds a bit weird.
* Wands of digging and Mystic Shovel could be made to damage living walls, wall beasts, stone golems, stone statues and (greater) earth elementals, in a somewhat unusual application (like Bless damages undead).
* Throwing potions of water (perhaps there will be more methods to actively damage monsters with water in the future) should rust iron golems and do some damage to them.
* Ghosts of any kind can't cross rivers, and they probably should be able to.
* Monsters that phase through walls can currently only do it through diggable ones (this shows in the dwarven graveyard). Let them pass through anything.
* Shadow wyrms should be undead. They can summon shadows and have an aging touch.
* The greater white unicorn will usually attack chaotics on sight, and will never harm lawfuls even if they hit her first. I don't see why she shouldn't fight back against someone with obviously ill intentions just because they share the same alignment.

Why it'd improve the game
Enhancing the level of detail even more :)

Notes
N/A
Issue Details
Issue Number 1293
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-23-2012 04:44 PM
Ancient Member
* Monsters that phase through walls can currently only do it through diggable ones (this shows in the dwarven graveyard). Let them pass through anything.
There would have to be an exception for the Stone Beast...

10-23-2012 08:14 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
There would have to be an exception for the Stone Beast...
Or any monster that's carrying an item (or drops guaranteed item, but I don't think there are any others than ancient stone beast).

10-23-2012 08:47 PM
Ancient Member
I didn't think of that >_< I guess that's why they can't do it in the first place. *blushing*

11-05-2012 10:15 AM
I don't see why she shouldn't fight back against someone with obviously ill intentions just because they share the same alignment.
I think it's workaround for unholy aura corruption. Otherwise the cleansing often can't be gained.

11-05-2012 10:37 AM
Ancient Member
* Wands of digging and Mystic Shovel could be made to damage living walls, wall beasts, stone golems, stone statues and (greater) earth elementals, in a somewhat unusual application (like Bless damages undead).
Like the idea, but if magic digging harms them, pickaxes should deal extra damage too imo. Also, I'm actually not sure it should work on earth elementals. I imagine them being made out of mud, not stone.

* Ghosts of any kind can't cross rivers, and they probably should be able to.
Not sure about this one, it's a sort of lore that undead can't cross running water.

What others said about picking up items. (Imagine a wraith picking up one of the artifacts in a greater undead vault, walking into an undiggable wall and then dying there from your acid ball.) Also, if they panic you would never be able to chase them. I vote against this one.

* The greater white unicorn will usually attack chaotics on sight, and will never harm lawfuls even if they hit her first.
I like this. Being sad that you are harming her and dying without fighting back fits her character so well. Most lawful characters will be crowned champions at this point in the game and become a fallen champion if they decide to kill the unicorn, so balance wise I think it's ok.

I vote in favour of the rest.

11-05-2012 12:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble
Like the idea, but if magic digging harms them, pickaxes should deal extra damage too imo. Also, I'm actually not sure it should work on earth elementals. I imagine them being made out of mud, not stone.
The monster says regular ones are a mixture of stone, clay and dirt, while GEEs are apparently entirely made up of stone.

What others said about picking up items. (Imagine a wraith picking up one of the artifacts in a greater undead vault, walking into an undiggable wall and then dying there from your acid ball.) Also, if they panic you would never be able to chase them. I vote against this one.
Yeah, I'm dumb. I didn't think of that when writing the post.

12-10-2012 10:39 PM
The Creator
I added loads of these suggestions. Love the detail!

+ Reply