Bug? Berserker taming.
issueid=1360 11-29-2012 10:56 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
Bug? Berserker taming.
Berserkers are all after guys.

If a male character gives a berserker a wedding ring, it cries "My beloved!" and is tamed. If a female character tries this, he will ignore her. This could either be a bug, or it could be intentional.. not sure.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1360
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-30-2012 07:09 PM
You have to give the ring to a berserker of the opposite gender I believe.

11-30-2012 07:37 PM
Ancient Member
No, you can only tame berserkers of your same gender with rings. That's the odd part.

12-01-2012 10:31 AM
Ancient Member
You homophobes :P

12-01-2012 10:33 AM
Well, despite being funny, it really can be intentional.

12-03-2012 11:14 AM
I always assumed this was intentional. From wikipedia:
The term comes from old Norwegian berserkr (plural berserkir), meaning bear shirt and suggests a robe. In earlier studies, the element ber- was often misinterpreted as berr-, meaning "bare", understood as indicating that the berserkers fought naked. This view has since been largely abandoned.
The part about fighting naked, even if that idea was false and originated from a mistranslation, has led to homosexual implications in our lore more than once. During my short lifetime, I've seen at least 4 separate references (two books, one video game, and one webcomic) to naked berserkers, and two of those include homosexuality.

Nifty.

P.S. Webcomic, not safe for work: www.oglaf.com

12-08-2012 09:30 AM
The Creator
My comment in the code stated "Berserkers of the opposite sex are strangely affected by wedding rings :-)"

So it was a bug.

+ Reply