RFE: Make Detect traps faster to use on doors
issueid=1409 12-10-2012 11:13 AM
Number of reported issues by paivi: 17
RFE: Make Detect traps faster to use on doors
One application should be enough to both discover and ID the trap

Currently, when you successfully apply Detect traps skill on a door, you're only informed that there is a trap. You have to apply Detect traps successfully a second time to get the trap ID.

Would it be possible to get the trap ID on the first application, i.e. instead of "You discover a trap!" you'd get something like "You discover a trap! It's an explosive rune."

Thanks to Stingray1, I feel I should clarify that the bug/feature (?) only applies when detecting traps via 's'earching.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1409
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-10-2012 04:48 PM
Ancient Member
It already works like that on the first succesful attempt in Pre5, I'll have to test in Pre6. I think I might have clicked on 'No' too soon, sorry. I think my Bard had that skill and I recall it working correctly in Pre6.

12-10-2012 06:58 PM
Unless I'm missing something, in p6 it seems to work as I described. I just verified this with two new characters. Once you've detected the trap on a door you need to Detect traps a second time to ID it properly.

Of course it might be that I'm being stupid, in which case I'd be happy to be set right, I'd love to be able to avoid the extra keystrokes.

12-11-2012 07:17 PM
Ancient Member
My appologies, I was caught up in other matters, but:

I can confirm that what you are requesting is already the case in Windows XP Prelease 6 using a Level 2 Human Thief on I:2.

12-11-2012 08:22 PM
Sorry, I should've mentioned in the original post that I mean the Detect traps as used while searching, because for some reason it works differently from directly applied Detect traps (which works on the first go as you said). It just didn't occur to me that anyone would apply Detect traps from the skill menu on a door, since continuous search ("ws") does the same thing much faster. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll amend my first post to be more clear.

However, I still think the traps discovered by searching the door should be identified right away, just like with applying detect traps from the skill menu.

12-11-2012 08:27 PM
Ancient Member
Some Spoiler, but not too serious, you might appreciate

12-12-2012 06:36 PM
The manual entry for Detect Traps states that "The 'Search' command also activates this skill."

It seems to me that all functionality of Detect Traps should be exactly the same, whether it was activated via Detect Traps, or via Search; or, if that wasn't the intent, then the manual entry should be clarified.

12-15-2012 07:58 PM
Ancient Member
I'm changing my vote to yes.

01-10-2013 04:27 PM
The Creator
Fixed.

+ Reply