Assasins and daggers
issueid=1413 12-10-2012 08:36 PM
Number of reported issues by Spellweaver: 9
Assasins and daggers
Make stylish way of fighting more efficient

Assasins and thieves with weapons other then daggers look quite unstylish, but most players are forced to use them, as daggers are not powerful at all.
I suggest a slight change in class powers for them: backstabbing for both classes deals 5x damage if made with dagger, 3x otherwise.
Also, assasin's bonus to criticals can be higher with dagger or sword and lower otherwise.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1413
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-10-2012 09:12 PM
Ancient Member
I don't know hey, daggers are pretty powerful.

12-10-2012 10:50 PM
What? Daggers? Powerful?

Eternium dagger is 2d4+7. Eternium spear is 2d8+8, not to mention difference in DV.

Dagger of death is 5d5+2. Sword of sharpness is 4d8+6. Mace of destruction is 5d6+6.

Bloody dagger is 2d3+6. Whip of slaughtering is 1d30.

Serpent's bite is 3d4+3. Executor is 5d6+6. Kinslayer 4d5+3. Skullcrusher is 3d6+2. Purifier is 4d5+5. Cat's claw... let's not remember it.

You call this powerful? I call this pitiful. And that's only one-handers.

Twins are only accessible in a very late game. After Sharad-Waador, exactly.

12-11-2012 12:44 AM
Ancient Member
Phase daggers are cool, and bloodies have extra crits. Still, I support the idea of them having higher crits in general.

12-11-2012 01:28 AM
Ancient Member
Serpent's bite is one of the best weapons in the game (though not guaranteed, certainly), with its +crit rate, poisoning and humanoid slaying. One of few things better is executor (also not guaranteed..), but many weapons pale in comparison.

In general, though, you are right.

12-11-2012 04:39 AM
Ancient Member
I don't recall ever having problems slaying creatures with the daggers an Assassin collects along his way. Hence in my opinion they are pretty powerful.

12-11-2012 09:42 AM
Serpent's bite is good as humanoid-slayer. But it's the weakest af all slayers. And I had a choice once between it and eternium spear of devastation (it's 6d8+14). Don't say you would chose dagger.

12-11-2012 11:36 AM
Ancient Member
Huh? Of course I would pick the dagger. It slays and poisons.

12-11-2012 11:40 AM
Its criticals only scratched the horde of chaos servants on D:50. And spear killed them successfully.

12-11-2012 03:20 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver
Serpent's bite is good as humanoid-slayer. But it's the weakest af all slayers. And I had a choice once between it and eternium spear of devastation (it's 6d8+14). Don't say you would chose dagger.
Both are pretty powerful. I'll probably switch depending on opponent and try to keep my dagger training going for the twins.

12-11-2012 03:27 PM
Ancient Member
Daggers are the only good weapon to dual wield because of their low weight. Serpent's Bite is a great artifact, very high crit rate even on non-humanoids. If you have decent strength, the low raw damage is not much of a problem. Bloody daggers score an amazing 50% crits. And don't forget phase daggers.

12-12-2012 02:59 AM
Ancient Member
Serpent's Bite is far from the weakest of all slayers. You are forgetting that the majority of monsters in game are humanoid (including many demons like balor, and I think, GM). You are also neglecting the incredible ~+30% crit rate it has, making it better than most other humanoid slayers. Eternium spear of devastation is certainly much much rarer than serpent's bite, so I'm not sure it's a valid comparison (otherwise why not just compare it to a murderous eternium two-handed sword of devastation or something ridiculous). And not to mention the poison which is beyond incredibly useful for things like boss fights (that Nuurgy guy...)

12-12-2012 03:20 AM
Ancient Member
+30% crit rate doesn't matter for fighting humanoids... With slaying weapon you have 100% crit rate against that type of monster anyway. Against non-humanoids, Serpent's Bite is pretty marginal for damage--a bloody dagger with decent stats has better damage output, as does a typical higher-metal two-hander or Big Punch.

I'd say that Skullcrusher and Kinslayer are both probably not as good as Serpent's Bite though, but that's just me.

12-12-2012 04:24 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, of course, JS :) Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

01-10-2013 10:31 AM
The Creator
Increased the backstabbing multiplier.

+ Reply