Slighty more hp for mist elves?
issueid=1460 12-16-2012 12:20 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
Slighty more hp for mist elves?

Mist elves are overall working as was intended (vulnerable to magic damage and missiles) and someone already managed to win with a mist elf wizard. Nonetheless, I think their frailty is slightly too much at this point. Especially since raising potential toughness already became harder, a few more hp would be a good change imo.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1460
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-16-2012 06:14 PM
their magical stats are so kickass that i think it's ok to leave them as they are..

12-16-2012 10:16 PM
Ancient Member
I think this is a specific solution for a more general problem introduced by the change in stat potentials. I think it would be better to fully evaluate that change and make adjustments as appropriate, rather than just giving races with low To more HP.

12-16-2012 11:10 PM
Ancient Member
It's not a matter of potentials, because it's not a matter of To, mist elves have way less HP than other races with the same To.

I agree with the OP that, while this feature is interesting, it could be toned down a bit.

12-16-2012 11:20 PM
Ancient Member
Can't see how would you win with a non wizard mist elf, the HP does need to be adjusted in some way. Even the low hp is enough even without a terrible TO on top of it.

12-17-2012 09:45 AM
Ancient Member
I think it is a matter of To, though. While I've now played a few classes, and agree that the HP is super low, it's also a function of the fact that you're really stuck at a max* of maybe 18-20 To, even on Beastfighters (and you can certainly get lower). When you're stuck at less than 10 To max* on many classes (even Assassin), you're going to get fried (by door traps, or what have you) at every turn no matter what how much HP you add on.

*obviously this isn't the true max, but it is functionally such

(ME CK is definitely possible even with bad starting corruptions. They have great To and get +St/To/Dx(?) as they level. Plus they start out with good enough gear to take them through Pyramid/Griffyard. Just have to be careful with door traps...)

12-17-2012 10:12 AM
Ancient Member
I've always played the game without herbs, and not even being a very good player, I've managed to win anyway. I don't think good To is needed by any means. It does make things much easier, of course, but that's the idea of low To races... you have that handicap in exchange for less vulnerability to aging attacs, better magic stats, etc. Maybe it's a matter of adapting playstyle. Having always played without herbs, I treasure stuff like bracers of To that perhaps people with heavy scummed stats wouldn't even use.

Don't get me wrong, maybe this does need *some* adjusting. Perhaps races that start with 10 To could start with 12 or so. But I'm all against going back to the previous situation where any character could herb himself to tankhood, regardless of race.

12-17-2012 08:22 PM
Ancient Member
I treasure things like bracers of To even if I've scummed up to like 30 To :D

I agree that the previous situation was untenable, and I think the recent change is a step in the right direction. I just think it may be too punishing, atm.

12-17-2012 08:33 PM
Ancient Member
Garth is not that expensive.

01-10-2013 02:59 PM
The Creator
Mist elves now receive a guaranteed +1 HP per level but that's it. No more changes :-)

+ Reply