Make all heir gifts more or less useful
issueid=1480 12-18-2012 09:12 AM
Number of reported issues by Spellweaver: 9
Make all heir gifts more or less useful
Heir gift is worth 3 starting talens and should be more or less worth it.

I suggest improvements for some classes. It wouldn't make them overpowered, as getting 4 talents is almost impossible for non-gnome, non-bard/farmer/merchant, and if you get 3, that means denying TH talent.
It's understandable that heir items should be worthy, because they are not like any random shit dropping ingame, player willingfully choses to exchange 3 talents for this item.
Archer - 40 winged missiles of hunting it too little. They are not powerful enough to be used in serious battle, as they don't have any extra damage, and there is not enough of them to use as general missiles. Either increase quantity at least twice, or increase quality by making them of slaying, maybe even decreasing number to about 30.
Assasin - somewhat useful. Fixing would be good, but not necessary.
Barbarian - good, if we don't mention the fact that barbarian almost never gets enough mana for extra talent.
Bard - good enough.
Beastfighter - DE beastfighter starts with armor of almost the same quality. Difference is 1 DV and minor to-hit. Make it, at least, thick furs.
Druid - neither shock resistance is not worth 3 talents, nor "of balance" suffix. And stats are the same as with starting leather armor. Make it "of life", this would look a lot more worthy.
Elementalist - good enough.
Farmer - completely useless. These clothes are going to be replaced with the first leather armor found. Maybe, give him, at very least, leather apron with the same suffix and prefix?
Fighter - good enough.
Healer - good enough.
Merchant - I doubt that anyone sane would waste 3 talents on this, but I see no way to improve it.
Necromancer - somewhat good.
Paladin - somewhat good.
Priest - give it some nice prefix, please. Make it lawful, or swift, or anything else.
Ranger - completely useless. It's only slightly better than starting weapon. Give it some nice suffix.
Thief - good enough.
Weaponsmith - make it wicked instead of brutal, and then it would become good.
Wizard - somewhat useful.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1480
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-18-2012 11:58 AM
Ancient Member
I agree with most assesments above, except that I see 40 -foo- of hunting for archers as quite good. Hunting ammo is by far the most effective way to get rare corpses like giant slugs. Also the mindcrafter gift is missing, which I would say could use a slight boost as well.

Especially bad are the clothes / robes that some classes receive, because those are oh so easily destroyed, while also offering too little PV to be used for long in any case. Of course, if any of them had the "of life" suffix that would be a different story.

12-18-2012 12:05 PM
Oh, I really forgot mindcrafter. But I think that for such physically weak class 5 PV from the beginning is quite good.

12-18-2012 12:07 PM
Ancient Member
Wait, it was "of protection"? Misremembered, then, sorry. Monk is missing too: padded clean robe of defense. Well that one really isn't worth 3 talents.

12-18-2012 12:09 PM
Ancient Member
I also agree with most of it, except for archers... maybe they could be made of mithril or adamantium on top of winged and of hunting, but I wouldn't add of slaying. That would be too powerful.

12-18-2012 12:10 PM
I think, monks need some kind of elven chain mail as a heir gift.

12-18-2012 12:40 PM
Ancient Member
40 missiles go a long way towards keeping you alive in the early game, too, on races that don't get a lot of ammo, like dark elves.

12-18-2012 01:34 PM
Okay, okay, as you say.

12-19-2012 12:02 AM
Ancient Member
I'd prefer a longbow of hunting or something along those lines. 40 winged quarrels basically are useless after about level 10.

12-19-2012 04:55 AM
Ancient Member
The heir gifts are meant to be useful early game, not last forever. Bards being the traditional exception, but then that's always been one of their charm points (the 7LBs have been nerfed now, but they're still really good).

12-19-2012 06:55 AM
I agree that the archer's gift is quite good. The blessed arrows break less often, and really last quite a long time considering you only need to use them for the killing shot. A recent character died around L18, and still had ~25 of them left.

12-19-2012 07:11 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
I agree that the archer's gift is quite good. The blessed arrows break less often, and really last quite a long time considering you only need to use them for the killing shot. A recent character died around L18, and still had ~25 of them left.
Arrows might work differently from tiny quarrels. But a test I did a few weeks ago strongly suggested that B/U/C status of tiny quarrels nor hand crossbow affects the destruction rate when shooting (on ground). With 5 different B/U/C combinations (sample size of 100-1000 tiny quarrels per combination), destruction rate seemed to be close to 2/3.

12-19-2012 03:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
The heir gifts are meant to be useful early game, not last forever. Bards being the traditional exception, but then that's always been one of their charm points (the 7LBs have been nerfed now, but they're still really good).
Most of them are useful for less than 1 minute, like farmer, merchant, or ranger's.
Robe of protection is going to last until you get AMW. That makes it useful, but it doesn't last forever. Assasin's dagger is replaced with the first eternium weapon found, which is not too late in the game, but a lot later than time when drud finds studded leather armor.

12-19-2012 10:25 PM
Ancient Member
Robe of protection is going to last until first door trap...

assassin's dagger is actually pretty good and doesn't need too much change.

12-19-2012 11:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver
Most of them are useful for less than 1 minute, like farmer, merchant, or ranger's.
I was responding to Carter's suggestion of a long bow of hunting for archers (should have made that clearer). I agree with most of the original suggestions.

01-10-2013 09:29 AM
The Creator
I have tuned quite a few of the suggested heirlooms :-)

+ Reply