Slaying sling bullets
issueid=1651 01-05-2013 12:20 PM
Number of reported issues by quik: 20
Slaying sling bullets
Slaying sling bullets would make using slings more interesting

At the moment the only ammo with slaying capabilities are arrows and quarrels. Therefore, slings aren't very used by players. If there would exist slaying sling bullets (other than demon-slaying), specializing in slings would be a viable alternative, enriching the variety of the game.

EDIT: Stingray1 pointed out that demon-slaying ones already exist.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1651
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-05-2013 12:36 PM
Ancient Member
What you are suggesting is already the case. Atleast demon-slaying IIRC. Is one of the many reason I atleast always train slings.

01-05-2013 03:59 PM
Ancient Member
Well, it's quite viable as-is; definitely has the advantage of readily available ammo and that hurthlings are naturally good at it. If you train in slings exclusively you'll do more than enough damage late game even without slaying. Slings just aren't as sophisticated as bows or crossbows; therefore there are fewer makes of specialized ammo for them in general. Perhaps there's a specific story behind the existence of demon-slaying sling bullets when no others exist that we simply haven't heard yet? Quirks like these add some flavor to the game and food for imagination, more than if every single type of ammo had the full array of slaying types to make them more equal. They don't have to be.

01-05-2013 04:09 PM
Ancient Member
I'm not sure if sling bullets are affixable (probably for a good reason). Demon slaying sling bullets are a completely separate item type.

01-05-2013 07:22 PM
Ancient Member
Sling bullets are very affixable. Eternium sling bullets of slaying are a definite possibility. I think I had to use some in a particularly tight battle against Keethrax once.

01-06-2013 12:34 AM
Sorry, wanted to upvote this issue but accidently pressed "No".
Always wanted to see such bullets in the game...

01-06-2013 01:18 AM
meh, slings can fire gems and potions in addition to bullets and rocks, so the amount of powerful ammo available to them shouldn't really be an issue [it's not that hard to stumble on potions of poison, blindness, cursed invisibility ones...]

01-10-2013 03:54 PM
The Creator
I added some more. Strange unintentional oversight.

07-07-2013 12:09 PM
Just found a stack of sling bullets of plant slaying... I can throw them, but I can't use them with a sling. Produces the message 'a sling only works in conjunction with rocks, potions, or bullets'.

07-07-2013 12:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
Just found a stack of sling bullets of plant slaying... I can throw them, but I can't use them with a sling. Produces the message 'a sling only works in conjunction with rocks, potions, or bullets'.
This is an implimented RFE. Suggestion: make a new one to bring this to attention.

07-07-2013 12:35 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
This is an implimented RFE. Suggestion: make a new one to bring this to attention.
It has been done, I'll find it and link it. Linked!

07-07-2013 12:46 PM
Awesome. Thanks! :)

07-07-2013 04:46 PM
Ancient Member
Sling bullets of plant slaying feel like a waste, considering they use a spot in the (finite) list of items that will added to 1.2.0. There are only four plant-type enemies in the game, and they're all easy to kill.

07-09-2013 07:23 AM
Ancient Member
I hear what you are saying anon123, but there are plants in the game, thus I still think they should have the same chance of generation as others.

I don't think these "of *foo* slaying" bullets count toward the list, do they?

You can still use them on any monster type as regular bullets. :)

07-09-2013 09:49 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I hear what you are saying anon123, but there are plants in the game, thus I still think they should have the same chance of generation as others.

I don't think these "of *foo* slaying" bullets count toward the list, do they?

You can still use them on any monster type as regular bullets. :)
Indeed they do (if you check the "Add new items" RFE). I think we had a discussion about them on the IRC a while ago and pretty much everyone thought that using 7 or so slots on this stuff was useless. People will ask for arrows/quarrels of plant/insect to be added and that's 4 more slots.

07-09-2013 11:52 AM
Ancient Member
Oh Deity, no, remove the plant slayers.

07-09-2013 12:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
Indeed they do (if you check the "Add new items" RFE). I think we had a discussion about them on the IRC a while ago and pretty much everyone thought that using 7 or so slots on this stuff was useless. People will ask for arrows/quarrels of plant/insect to be added and that's 4 more slots.
Can you link the RFE where it says these count as specific items? I just see that 'items have been added'.

07-09-2013 12:26 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kurasu
Can you link the RFE where it says these count as specific items? I just see that 'items have been added'.
I can't. But the current item count implies this.

EDIT: Actually I can.

Look at the date of the last post ("Added 7 more for a total of 32.") and compare it to the date of the reply by TB to this very RFE ("I added some more. Strange unintentional oversight."). They seem to match the number of added bullets which is 7: construct/undead/dragon/giant/humanoid/insect/plant (source). Curiously there are no sling bullets of jelly slaying - another oversight? :D

+ Reply