Level 18+ duelists can't give elemental gauntlets to the demented ratling
issueid=1690 01-08-2013 07:26 PM
Number of reported issues by rho: 10
Level 18+ duelists can't give elemental gauntlets to the demented ratling
If a duelist of level 18 or above tries to give the elemental gauntlets to the demented ratling, the game interprets it as a glove slap, making the ratling hostile

If a duelist character is above level 18 when trying to feed artifacts to the demented ratling, then giving him the Elemental Gauntlets (or I would presume any other artifact gauntlets, though I haven't tried them personally) will not result in him taking the artifact, but will instead result in him being glove-slapped, stunning him and turning him hostile. This not only means you can't give him the gauntlets, but also blocks off any possible special endings, and potentially gives you a fight against a tough opponent, depending on how many other artifacts he's been given.

While it could be said that this is just an extra challenge of the duelist class, I consider it a bug because my character did not respond to my command as I expected her to do, which I'd class as an HCI bug. It also doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense that duelists are unable to give gauntlets awaywithout being possessed by an overwhelming urge to slap the recipient in the face isntead.

I would suggest that when a duelist with this class power attempts to give gauntlets to a non-hostile character, there should be a confiration option along the lines of "Do you wish to [g]ive the gauntlets, or use them for a glove [s]lap?" which would get around this and any other cases where you might want to actually give away gauntlets. It's probably better not to bother with this prompt for hostile creatures, as that could become annoying.

Alternatively: Remove the giving away gauntlets part of the class power entirely, and just change it to a normally activated class power, with a limit of one use per n turns.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1690
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-08-2013 07:28 PM
I wouldn't implement a turn limit, but the prompt for non hostiles seems like a good fix.

01-08-2013 08:27 PM
I support a prompt for non hostiles. There's a prompt for most other hostile actions on friendly targets, so it seems reasonable to add it for this too.

01-08-2013 09:10 PM
I also support the prompt idea. Perhaps this would be a good time to add an alignment penalty for aggravating non-hostiles?

01-08-2013 09:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by biomateria
Perhaps this would be a good time to add an alignment penalty for aggravating non-hostiles?
Only after stealth gets changed so that unaware monsters aren't friendly. Being neutral/lawful would take a lot of patience at that point.

01-09-2013 12:58 AM
Ancient Member
I imagine discovering this bug was a pretty unfortunate situation for you.

A workaround for now might be 't'hrowing the artifacts at the ratling, if that doesn't activate the glove slap power too.

01-09-2013 01:30 AM
Ancient Member
Just have an exception for the ratling is fine. I quite like the mechanic of giving a glove as is, as it conjures a nice mental image.

01-09-2013 01:33 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I imagine discovering this bug was a pretty unfortunate situation for you.
Yes. Yes it was. I'd already saved Khelevaster, retrieved the fire orb, and got the ring of the master cat. Being pummeled by a demented ratling on an artifact rush was not how I had intended to go (the gauntlets were either the 5th or 6th artifact I'd given to him). But hey, such are the perils of playing pre-release games, right? :D

01-10-2013 04:13 PM
The Creator
Added a prompt.

+ Reply