Dungeon wall thinks it's a cookie
issueid=1779 01-16-2013 08:48 PM
Number of reported issues by skibbles: 1
Dungeon wall thinks it's a cookie
when dungeon walls randomly speak fortune cookie messages, some seem not-applicable

When I walked into a dungeon room in the infinite dungeon, I had the following messages appear:

Code:
A mouth appears on the wall and says: "Remember to write something on this cookie.".
Then it disappears.
While I like the random fortune cookie quotes from the walls, I think this one should be removed from the wall quotes list, if possible.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1779
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 4
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-16-2013 09:35 PM
Ancient Member
It can also happen with beggars and Torgall. It's indeed nonsensical, but also funny and harmless, so I'd leave it as is :)

01-16-2013 09:53 PM
I would also leave it as is for the same reason.

01-16-2013 11:17 PM
I'd just have it replace "cookie" with "wall". It totally changes the meaning of the 'fortune', but still works.

01-18-2013 12:11 PM
Maybe "Remember to record a new message for this voicemail greeting." :)

01-18-2013 12:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
Maybe "Remember to record a new message for this voicemail greeting." :)
It needs to be made to make a little bit of in-universe sense... if not, it should at least make sense as a message in a game. For the latter, I can see an obvious one:

"Remember to come up with a new wall fortune message." (perhaps it could be in german, to improve the effect)

For the former, perhaps something like:

"Replace this message with one of your own when casting this messaging spell."

01-18-2013 05:30 PM
Ancient Member
"This wall is intentionally left blank."

04-21-2014 09:24 AM
I just got a similar one:
'A mouth appears on the wall and says: "This cookie will make you pay a high price.".'

As a side note, shouldn't there only be one full stop in that sentence (inside the quotes)?

04-21-2014 03:03 PM
I don't know if this really counts as a bug. Beggars, Fortune cookies, and Mouths On Walls all seem to have the same set of messages to pick from. To make a seperate one for the walls, we may as well make seperate ones for beggars as well, and that's a bit much work for Thomas when he's already got a lot on his plate. Yes, I can reproduce this, but no, I don't think it counts as a bug.

04-21-2014 03:06 PM
The Creator
Fixed.

04-22-2014 02:35 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by theseus12
I don't know if this really counts as a bug. Beggars, Fortune cookies, and Mouths On Walls all seem to have the same set of messages to pick from. To make a seperate one for the walls, we may as well make seperate ones for beggars as well, and that's a bit much work for Thomas when he's already got a lot on his plate. Yes, I can reproduce this, but no, I don't think it counts as a bug.
The quickest solution is likely flagging some messages as cookie-only, so that beggars, Torgall, the Confucius book and mouths on walls will just skip those.

Anyway, I wonder how this was "fixed".

04-28-2014 06:09 AM
The Creator
Marking messages would be an alternative solution to what ADOM currently does. Currently (as in p22) ADOM differentiates between random cookie generation for written contexts and for "other" contexts (fortune cookies being written, beggars being "other" e.g.). For "other" contexts it rerolls certain randomly selected messages. And in p22 the "reroll condition" is broken causing an endless loop.

+ Reply