Make cursor keys work with w in the default adom.kbd file
issueid=1800 01-19-2013 09:15 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Al-Khwarizmi: 62
Make cursor keys work with w in the default adom.kbd file

By default, movement commands are linked to both the numeric keypad and arrow keys, for example:

Code:
#
#  Move to the south
#

MOS:2 \D

#
#  Move to the east
#

MOE:6 \R
However, the "walk" commands (at least in some versions, for example Windows and 32-bit Linux) are mapped to the numeric keypad only:

Code:
#
#  Walk to the south
#

WM2:w2

#
#  Walk to the west
#

WM4:w4
It would be useful if they were mapped both ways as well, so that w + (arrow key) works for the arrow keys that are not located in the numeric keypad:

Code:
#
#  Walk to the south
#

WM2:w2 w\D

#
#  Walk to the west
#

WM4:w4 w\L
etc.

Curiously, for some reason, w + (arrow key) already seems to work in Windows 7 even without changing the binding as described (maybe Windows automatically maps arrow keys to numbers, or something like that). But for example, if I play on the ADOM ssh servers, I have to add that binding or it doesn't work. Since adding the binding by default would harm no one (w\D, etc. are not bound to anything else), I think it would be a useful addition. At the very least, it would make the life of people on laptops that want to play on the server a little easier.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1800
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

02-01-2013 08:04 PM
Administrator
All ADOM versions except the Linux ones were automatically mapping cursor keys to numbers. I've removed this behaviour so they now all send the directions keys (e.g. "\D") instead.

Additionally the keyboard bindings for walk mode were added.

02-24-2013 07:07 PM
This change seems to have had the opposite effect on Mac OSX (using pre11) - I am no longer able to repeat-walk (w + arrow key), instead getting the following message:

Unknown command: 'w\L'

...when I try to repeat-walk to the left. I instead have to use w + 4 in order to do this. I'm using the wireless Mac keyboard with no num pad, just the arrow keys, in case that makes a difference. (w\U for up, w\D for down, w\R for right)

04-20-2013 03:00 PM
Just to add here the solution discussed under bug 1964, if you're having an issue with the arrow keys not working with w, it's because, if you're using a custom keyboard arrangement, ADOM won't delete it when you update to a new version. You can delete it yourself from ~/.adom.data/adom.kbd, or edit it as suggested above, adding the commands for walking using the arrow keys, i.e. change the line "WM8:w8", to "WM8:w8 w\U", "WM6:w6" to, "WM6:w6 w\R", "WM4:w4" to WM4:w4 w\L", "WM2:w2" to "WM2:w2 w\D".

+ Reply