Beef up the Arena combatants
issueid=1846 01-24-2013 09:45 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99

It's been a dreadfully long time since any of my characters have been significantly hurt in the arena, even by the final boss. The opponents have something like 5x normal HP, but do only half normal damage. It's kind of bizarre. You'd think Bonk would really beat up a PC, but an ogre lord is more dangerous. In fact, I've always wondered if the arena works as intended.

I'd like to see these fights take some effort for a character around level 10. Some thoughts:

• Level up the monsters instead of just giving them extra HP, so they do more damage as well.
  • Dax requires the PC to fight without body armor.
  • Randomly insert 2-3 named monsters (like artifact guardians and the new bosses) in the lineup.

Anyone with me? Let's make the Golden Gladius mean something!
Issue Details
Issue Number 1846
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-24-2013 10:20 PM
Ancient Member
Don't like the second point, but I fully agree with the first. Instead of forcing the PC to remove body armor, make it less protective in combat by increasing damage ;)

Point no. 3 (or something similar) was already planned, I think.

01-24-2013 10:26 PM
Ancient Member
I like the first suggestion.

I think it might not be terrible to slightly increase the overall monster DLs (not necessarily the bosses...). Remember, it's possible to reach the Arena at level 6 or lower, and at that level, some of the fights are fairly difficult.

01-24-2013 11:43 PM
The fights are long, but I haven't found them difficult in any game I've played.

01-24-2013 11:53 PM
Why not just change the 1/2x damage multiplier to something greater than one? That would seem simple enough to do.

01-25-2013 12:28 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 5x HP and half damage was the actual modification implemented--it's just my impression as a player that the hits are not at all threatening.

01-25-2013 12:33 AM
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 5x HP and half damage was the actual modification implemented--it's just my impression as a player that the hits are not at all threatening.
Regardless, the solution could still work: just give the hits a mutiplier/bonus of some kind. Though, I suppose, levelling would have the same effect.

01-25-2013 12:59 AM
I don't think making special cases is required. If the opponents are too weak (and I agree that they are), stronger creature types should be provided. And the 20th opponents sure could use a special power or two.

01-25-2013 01:03 AM
How about making the level of the opponent equal to which fight you're on? In other words, your first match, you'll fight a level 1 monster, seventh match will be a level 7 monster, and so on.

01-25-2013 01:30 AM
Ancient Member
maybe all the opponents should be our new hero mobs

01-25-2013 01:33 AM
BM: Yarr, I like the idea of progressively more difficult opponents. :)

01-25-2013 05:34 PM
I like Carter's idea the most - give boss monsters a certain chance to show up in the lineup instead of the regular opponents, except for the final fight?

If not that, then original suggestion number 1 (levelled monsters).

12-26-2015 03:25 PM
The Creator
I have beefed areas opponents somewhat more.

+ Reply