Improve the usability of the 'l'ook command
issueid=1969 02-20-2013 10:31 PM
Number of reported issues by quik: 20
Improve the usability of the 'l'ook command
Make it work similarly to the missile targeting system

In the beginning my games, I always equip something in the missile slot as soon as possible in order to be able to check the nearby monsters using 't'arget instead of 'l'ook.

Thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that the 'l'ook command would be a lot more usable if it worked in a similar manner. Moreover, I would like to see the behavior extended to not only scroll through monsters but also through all "lookable" features, e.g. doors, traps, altars, etc.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1969
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 12
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-21-2013 01:38 AM
Ancient Member
This would be a very welcome feature.

02-21-2013 01:53 AM
Ancient Member
Something else I'd also like to have is being able to see which items a monster is standing on.

02-21-2013 07:12 PM
I'd like to be able to see what an item is from more than one space away!

12-26-2015 03:16 PM
The Creator
I have been thinking for a while that we should enlarge the used screen area in almost all versions to e.g. have 40 more column characters and 5 more lines. We could use the columns for a permanently visible context command list and the lines to e.g. display look information for all targeting modes and when the mouse is hovering over a square - and maybe even add a kind of chat line display for team play. I'm just current afraid that there are quite a few internal spots that assume that the full screen size is available for whatever you do.

But we should not shy away from such major additions ;-)

06-24-2017 06:50 PM
The Creator
New additions to look:
- Features and tiles are always described (also for items and monsters).
- You now can examine remote item lists in detail as long as they are visible to you.

06-24-2017 08:15 PM
The Creator
It's now possible to iterate interesting spots (features, item stacks), too.

06-25-2017 07:23 AM
The Creator
Yet another addition: You now can use '5' to recenter the cursor on the PC. And http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4800 happened, too.

06-25-2017 03:23 PM
The Creator
Yer another addition: for item stacks in line of sight you will now get a message like "You see <item> lying there." or "You see <item> and <item> lying there." or "You see <item>, <item> and x|one more items lying there.". And naturally you can inspect the stack in more detail.

+ Reply