64-bit Problem?
issueid=203 07-03-2011 05:11 PM
Number of reported issues by Ackbeet: 2
64-bit Problem?
ADOM crashing during character creation on a 64-bit machine.

I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. I downloaded the adom_winbeta4.zip file, and unzipped it into the Program Files (x86)\Games\ADOM directory. When I double-clicked on the executable, I was able to get to the point of choosing my character's profession, when the entire screen just disappeared. I can do the same thing immediately again, so I don't think the action of doing this caused any further damage.

Any thoughts? Work-arounds?

Thanks!
Issue Details
Issue Number 203
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Fixed
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-03-2011 07:07 PM
Ancient Member
Hmm, odd - not heard of anyone else suffering the same problem. As a workaround I'd suggest using ADOM Sage, or play on the server.

07-09-2011 07:15 AM
I don't think this is a 64-bit problem. I'm pretty sure I've run ADOM (Winbeta 4) successfully on my father's laptop many times, and it is running Vista 64-bit. Though I seem to remember seeing it happen a few times (very very rarely) on my own computer, I don't remember ever getting into a state where it happened every time.

In that situation, I might try running some utility like Ccleaner to purge all sorts of temporary files from the system (especially what's in the Prefetch folder), and see if that helps...

09-12-2011 06:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Hmm, odd - not heard of anyone else suffering the same problem. As a workaround I'd suggest using ADOM Sage, or play on the server.
Is there an instruction page somewhere to do either of those? Do you have to pay to do either of those?

Quote Originally Posted by beerslayer
I don't think this is a 64-bit problem. I'm pretty sure I've run ADOM (Winbeta 4) successfully on my father's laptop many times, and it is running Vista 64-bit. Though I seem to remember seeing it happen a few times (very very rarely) on my own computer, I don't remember ever getting into a state where it happened every time.
In that situation, I might try running some utility like Ccleaner to purge all sorts of temporary files from the system (especially what's in the Prefetch folder), and see if that helps...

Ok, I'll try that and see if it works.

09-15-2011 05:47 PM
Administrator
Hi,

I could reproduce the problem. You should not use
c:\Program Files (x86)\Games\ADOM
because ADOM tries to create new files into this directory. The newer versions of Windows don't like this behaviour (they prefer these files to be located in the user folders), so please try another directory for ADOM. E.g.
c:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ADOM
This is only a workaround until I have the time to create an updated Winbeta. ;)

10-04-2011 05:51 PM
I also have problem launchin ADOM dos version on WIndoows XP x64.
It says: The image file adom.exe is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine.

Aom windows version runs well but it lacks fullscreen mode.

08-04-2012 11:52 AM
Administrator
@Tsvetik: you can't run the MS-DOS version directly within a 64 Bit Windows environment. You have to use an emulator, e.g. DOSBox http://www.dosbox.com

08-04-2012 11:52 AM
Administrator
ADOM now uses the local appdata directory (e.g. %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ADOM) to store it's files.

+ Reply