'w'alk command and Chaos knight lvl 25 class power
issueid=2135 05-01-2013 12:56 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
'w'alk command and Chaos knight lvl 25 class power

Problem:

The level 25 class power for Chaos Knights adds a variable value, determined each turn, to the Strength attribute of the PC each turn.

This has the effect that the encumbrance will change from unencumbered to Burdened, vice versa, for example.

When the 'w'alk command is used the PC will stop when encumbrance changes due to Strength going up or down.

This makes using the 'w'alk command extremely inefficient at times.

Solution:

I don't think it is necessary for the PC to stop after a 'w'alk command has been issued and encumbrance changes.

However, others may differ.

Especially with regards to a PC on the brink of starving to death.

Alternatively, add a configuration_variable.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2135
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8 (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 2
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 13
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-06-2013 09:29 AM
Um. Personally I found an idea of variable encumbrance... strange. Maybe use variable St-based damage bonus instead?

05-06-2013 10:51 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon
Um. Personally I found an idea of variable encumbrance... strange. Maybe use variable St-based damage bonus instead?
Per se the encumbrance varies as a result of Strength varying.

All strength bonuses apply, where applicable, I'd assume.

07-29-2013 11:29 AM
Ancient Member
Copied from duplicate issue #2258:
Walk commands (w#) will be interrupted in case burden status changes from burdened -> not burdened or not burdened -> burdened and maybe in other transitions too. This can be annoying for level 25 chaos knights who receive 1d(# of corruptions) bonus in strenght that changes every turn (and are carrying enough stuff to be burdened only on some lower rolls).

Some possible solutions:
- Add configuration variable to toggle interrupting walk on burden changes (similar to walk_carefully, but for interrupting walk on burden changes).
- Only interrupt walking if burden status changes to higher than it was when you started walking (for example if you were strained, you'll continue walking as long as you are unburdened, burdened or strained, no matter how often it changes during walking).
- For all or only level 25+ chaos knights: Don't interrupt walking if burden changes due to strength changing, except if one becomes overburdened.
- For all or only level 25+ chaos knights: Don't interrupt walking if burden changes due to any reason (rotting, si).

07-29-2013 02:30 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Sami
- Add configuration variable to toggle interrupting walk on burden changes (similar to walk_carefully, but for interrupting walk on burden changes).
Would solve the problem, but I don't think it's an optimal solution, because typically only advanced players edit configuration variables.

- Only interrupt walking if burden status changes to higher than it was when you started walking (for example if you were strained, you'll continue walking as long as you are unburdened, burdened or strained, no matter how often it changes during walking).
Insufficient, because if your CK starts walking with St 20 and gets down to 18 (and Burdened) on the way, you probably don't want the walking to be interrupted.

- For all or only level 25+ chaos knights: Don't interrupt walking if burden changes due to strength changing, except if one becomes overburdened.
The best solution IMHO. Fixes the problem completely and doesn't affect the rest of the game much, because it's very unlikely that this will cause interruptions in situations different from the CK class power.

- For all or only level 25+ chaos knights: Don't interrupt walking if burden changes due to any reason (rotting, si).
Also good if it's only applied to CK's. For all classes it would be too much of a change IMHO, although it would do if solution 3 (and 4 for CK's only) is hard to implement.

07-29-2013 03:09 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Insufficient, because if your CK starts walking with St 20 and gets down to 18 (and Burdened) on the way, you probably don't want the walking to be interrupted.
I'm not sure how sufficient or insufficient this would actually be. In theory walking could be interrupted at most 3 times (unburdened -> burdened -> strained -> strained!) but in practice I think it would be interrupted only once or not at all in almost every case. Surely this would still be minor inconvenience.

12-02-2013 09:49 PM
Ancient Member
Can't we just get this configurable variable, if it is set to current behaviour by default it doesn't affect anything. At least then for us wanting to play Chaos Knights, we can set the variable when we reach level 25. Well I would always set it once I'm past the very early game or not carrying sis. Although with stats dropping somewhere between Hungry and Very Hungry, maybe a problem. Can't you just set an extra interrupt for those satiation related stat decreases.

01-20-2014 09:50 PM
Ancient Member
I believe sami's third solution is optimal. I don't want configuration options out the wazoo, they should be kept as minimal as possible. Since this is a problem specific to level 25+ CK, the change should be applied just to them and I think it should be the third solution (though I'm fine with the fourth as well).

01-21-2014 05:22 AM
Ancient Member
I also nowadays am inclined to say we should start putting brakes on configuration variables, the list is already getting on the lengthy side. So, option 3 from sami it is in my view also.

01-22-2014 08:43 PM
The Creator
Option 3 has been implemented.

+ Reply