Adom 1.2.0-14 garbles highscores
issueid=2157 05-27-2013 11:27 AM
Number of reported issues by SpaceBrotha: 2
Adom 1.2.0-14 garbles highscores

Start prerelease 14, go back to 13, check highscores.

I found it out when i tried 14, realized that a name was taken so i went back to 13 and got him killed, entering him to the highscores... which were completely garbled with scores of -5786912675 and the likes. then 14 didn't want to even start anymore, first time it just crashed, subsequently it just quit every time.

When i checked the highscore file, it was empty save for some 4 characters at the start. Deleting the entire file allowed the game to generate a new one, but all my highscores went with that...

edit: by characters i mean letters and stuff, not game characters
Issue Details
Issue Number 2157
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Won't Fix
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-27-2013 02:46 PM
On Linux, previous versions segfault on hi score files that have been touched by P14.

Not sure this is a bug; they do recommend a clean adom data folder for each prerelease after all.

05-27-2013 05:21 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Alucard
On Linux, previous versions segfault on hi score files that have been touched by P14.

Not sure this is a bug; they do recommend a clean adom data folder for each prerelease after all.
There was a feature added a while ago to make high-score files platform independent.

Apparently this has a flaw - I noticed my p14 Not-eye ADOM failing to even start with the p13 plain-old-adom .adom directory (mac)

I should add a bug for this...

05-27-2013 05:26 PM
Administrator
Well, P14 should be able to read highscore files from all older versions (including 1.1.1), but it doesn't work the other way around. The highscore file is converted to a new format which only P14 or later understands. Apparently P13 then doesn't recognize the new header and defaults to the old loading routine which crashes.

That's one of the reasons why we recommend to remove the .adom.data completely. ;)

05-28-2013 05:57 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
Well, P14 should be able to read highscore files from all older versions (including 1.1.1), but it doesn't work the other way around. The highscore file is converted to a new format which only P14 or later understands. Apparently P13 then doesn't recognize the new header and defaults to the old loading routine which crashes.

That's one of the reasons why we recommend to remove the .adom.data completely. ;)
...except P14 doesn't do that very well either, i grabbed an old highscore file from 1.1.1 that luckily still had my sole win on it and P14 imported it partially: it has the character names, dates, levels and score and wether they won or died, but lacks the actual descriptions like "was killed by a kobold on level 55 of the infinite dungeon" instead just reading null.

There were also a lot of nulls added after the final entry. I only had 55 entries there so i assume it just added null to all the empty slots.

05-28-2013 07:42 AM
Administrator
Did this work with Prerelease 13? Can you attach the highscore file or sent it by email?

05-28-2013 11:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
Did this work with Prerelease 13? Can you attach the highscore file or sent it by email?
Yeah it worked just fine and still works if i take the file from the 1.1.1 and replace the one p14 has modified and then start up p13 the highscores show up just fine...
...going to p14 after that once again gives me nulls.

Before and after p14 HISCORE files here

05-28-2013 07:02 PM
Administrator
Thanks, I've opened a new issue for this with a workaround so that you can continue with an intact highscore on Prerelease 14, see Issue 2163.

+ Reply