Problem with hiscore file
issueid=2158 05-27-2013 03:42 PM
Number of reported issues by Narrychen: 4
Problem with hiscore file
Probs in creating and updating the file

I installed the non-graphical pre14 version for MS-DOS and play it under Dosbox (under Fedora).
When starting the game the screen that displays the version and copyright info jams for a long time displaying this message:
Setting up highscore file.
That happens even if the file is in the proper directory.

The game itself runs smoothly, but after my character dies and I've answered the mandatory (y/n) questions, the cursor just flashes and no hiscore is displayed.

I tried deleting the highscore file and this time the following message was displayed after death:
The highscore has been locked for a long time. Some kind of problem with another ADOM process might be the reason for this. You might be in trouble...

No kidding. Pressing SPACE to continue doesn't help.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2158
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category MS-DOS
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-27-2013 03:47 PM
Try removing ADOM_HS.LCK from the same directory .HISCORE is in. And/or delete .HISCORE. Then does it happen again?

#2157 related?

05-27-2013 04:28 PM
No change, same things (i.e. long delay in starting the game and no hiscore displayed after death) happened after deleting those files.

I also tried deleting the whole ADOM_DAT directories in current *and* previous installations (Pre11 and Pre13).
Then I started Dosbox and ran Pre14, only to find out that same problems occurred.

05-27-2013 04:39 PM
Update: actually, waiting does help. If I wait for 4 minutes after death, the highscore list is displayed. That's annoyingly long though.

05-27-2013 06:52 PM
Administrator
Very odd behaviour, does the same happen with Prerelease 13?

I don't have a Fedora VM (yet) where I can try to reproduce this...

05-27-2013 07:59 PM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
Very odd behaviour, does the same happen with Prerelease 13?

I don't have a Fedora VM (yet) where I can try to reproduce this...
No problems with Prerelease 13.
It starts and sets the highscore file fast, and displays the hiscore right after dying.

06-11-2013 09:01 PM
Administrator
I have found a performance problem in the decoding/encoding routine for the highscore file. It wasn't really noticeable without profiling on my normal development system.

07-02-2013 03:54 AM
Just to chime in - I get this in a windows environment. I'm even a little gutted that I'm losing my favourite playthroughs from these hiscore problems, which ultimately require deleted both the .lck file, AND the hiscore file itself. :(
Is there no way to set my working directory in the windows version of ADOM? Preferably a directory that has nothing to do with windows forced file structure (I don't use the inbuild local settings, my documents etc directories, why should adom default to them all of a sudden?)

07-02-2013 04:43 AM
ADOM pre14 noteye - huge lags on startup/death, deleting highscore solves it, using usual highscore with 80+ characters hangs out ADOM for ~10-15 seconds with "not responding" window behavior.

07-16-2013 05:38 PM
Adom hangs for at least 15 seconds on startup too. Gets longer the larger the hiscore file is, eventually becomes unstartable. This is in windows 7

+ Reply