Update ADOM manual with information about distributing closed Prereleases
issueid=2170 06-04-2013 02:57 PM
Number of reported issues by theseus12: 32
Update ADOM manual with information about distributing closed Prereleases
small issue, more legal than anything else

the manual in ADOM states that we are allowed to distribute this game freely, even though the Prereleases are closed to the public. might I suggest updating the manual in the prerelease editions? else someone could break the rules and release them, and be able to do it rather legally, and annoy the hell out of our esteemed ADOM admins.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2170
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-04-2013 07:39 PM
Administrator
It's too late, the rules were already broken. But adding this to the manual is no bad idea.

06-04-2013 08:04 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by jt
It's too late, the rules were already broken.
Has someone leaked one of the prereleases? :(

06-05-2013 06:08 AM
Ancient Member
What a dick!

06-05-2013 09:40 AM
Ancient Member
It's to be expected, especially when there's a torrent file floating about. Without a really restrictive system this sort of thing is pretty hard to stop.

06-05-2013 10:39 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, from someone with half a brain. I blame spoilers for getting these half-wits into the game.

06-05-2013 02:07 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
It's to be expected, especially when there's a torrent file floating about.
The torrents should be restrictive enough if no one shares the .torrent files (or at least, their info_hash values) with those who don't have prerelease access. But that might just be what happened.

06-05-2013 02:26 PM
Ancient Member
Well yes, that's all that needs to happen. Or someone sharing the login details for the download page - it's not like we all have individual accounts there, so anyone can share the login and TB wouldn't have a clue who did it.

I'm not that bothered overall though. I can understand TB not wanting to waste a lot of effort on a rigorous system for this, and it's not like others getting access has any negative effect on me.

06-05-2013 02:32 PM
Son of a triple headed gorgon.... ah well... I only bought into it recently, so I only just now found out about that error... wish I could have reported it BEFORE it happened.... pity. sorry guys.

06-05-2013 06:26 PM
Administrator
Yes, it was to be expected. Don't blame yourself... "those" people probably would've ignored this part of the manual anyway. :)

06-06-2013 10:58 AM
Ancient Member
Yeah, it always happens, and with more than 1500 donors it would be a miracle if none of them leaked anything. In fact, if it only happened recently, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

But I strongly think the ADOM team have done the right thing in not trying to impose convoluted protection measures against this, and especially DRM measures. That kind of things never work, they're an inconvenience for the legitimate users, and the pirates wouldn't pay anyway.

06-07-2013 02:09 PM
Ancient Member
I don't see any difference anyway, if it's the latest prerelease that got leaked, it's already almost version 1.2. The only thing missing according to proposed list of changes is actual statue functionality and a couple of icons. Also artifacts.

06-07-2013 02:50 PM
eh, it was worth a shot, IMHO... till I found out it's already been done.

06-07-2013 03:29 PM
Ancient Member
"This prerelease is restricted to people who pledged at least $25 in the ADOM resurrection campaign.
Please be fair and don't distribute the software or the access information to other people!
Before posting an issue, please check the issue tracker. It might be new intentional behaviour.

Please note that this software is considered to be in alpha status."

A simple request. But, no. I know it doesn't affect us directly, but still disrespectful.

06-07-2013 08:36 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
I don't see any difference anyway, if it's the latest prerelease that got leaked, it's already almost version 1.2. The only thing missing according to proposed list of changes is actual statue functionality and a couple of icons. Also artifacts.
What? Rolf's quest, volcano quest, five community quests, several mini-levels with bosses and artifacts, achievement system, highscore server, Steam integration, autoexplore, graphical title screen... we're still a long way from the full 1.2.0 glory!

09-15-2013 01:07 PM
Administrator
Fixed.

+ Reply