Getting -Para From Gelatinous Cube Corpse
issueid=2231 07-11-2013 11:23 AM
Number of reported issues by Kurasu: 24
Getting -Para From Gelatinous Cube Corpse
There are very few sources of -para in ADOM; another one wouldn't go amiss.

90% of the time, the most dangerous status ailment in the game is Paralysis. Multiple creatures can give paralysis, including early game creatures (ghul deaths come to mind). Unlike poisoning and sickness, there is no way to cure paralysis, as until the -para wears off, you can do nothing except be paralyzed, attacked, potentially paralyzed again, et cetera.

At the moment, there are very few ways of gaining resistance from paralysis, and can *only* gain the intrinsic through pools. Thus, I'd like to suggest that Gelatinous Cube corpses be allowed to give -para when eaten (as well as the present effect of paralyzing the player temporarily). Cubes are uncommon, and at a 1% corpse drop rate (or maybe if you're kind raise it slightly, to a maximum of 5% like Blink Dogs), it's not going to be an easy way to get it, but it will offer just one more source for people to keep from fast RNG deaths, without making it as easy to get as, say, poison resistance.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2231
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-11-2013 02:05 PM
Ancient Member
Having very few ways to resist paralysis is what makes it so feared and destructive. But gelatinous cube corpses are so elusive this would hardly unbalance the game. Upvoted.

07-12-2013 02:50 AM
Ancient Member
anon123 basically said what was on my mind. also upvoted.

07-12-2013 08:39 PM
Ancient Member
Gelatinous cubes occur in rather large numbers in jelly vaults and rather easy to kill - compare to acid slugs, which can be quite deadly early game and only appear in increased numbers in Keethrax' den.

Which doesn't mean I'm against it - how does a percentage chance sound? 50-50, like fire beetles, possibly affected by b/u/c status, too, like lightning lizards?

07-13-2013 04:19 AM
Ancient Member
I've had more AoLS dropped randomly than gelatinous cubes leaving corpses behind. I don't think a 100% chance to grant resistance would be a problem when the corpse drops are so rare to begin with (and jelly vaults aren't that common either). Ammunition of hunting changes the picture, but is not a guaranteed item.

07-13-2013 04:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
(and jelly vaults aren't that common either).
Being as I found all of, I think, *one* jelly vault in the time I've been playing, and of all the cubes I've slaughtered throughout my games, only seen one corpse, i would agree with this thought. :) Giant Slugs are a 1% drop, and give it 100% of the time.

07-13-2013 07:20 AM
Ancient Member
Intrinsic paralyzation resistance for free should be much rarer than AoLS. Keep in mind also that before this point, you've been ignoring gelatinous cube corpses on sight.

I quite like corpses that only give percentages for intrinsics - they give potions of insight and Revelation a reason to exist beyond memory refreshment. Put in another way, there's no reason, strictly speaking, to put paralyzation resistance on gelatinous cube corpses in the first place, since it's common enough in items, namely the amulet of free action - it's up to Thomas to decide whether paralyzation resistance should be one of the intrinsics that can't be obtained outside of pools and items. There is not currently a balance problem regarding paralysis.

07-13-2013 08:22 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Ammunition of hunting changes the picture, but is not a guaranteed item.
Are you sure? It works for animals, but for other monsters I don't know?

If it does, then I don't know if I support this suggestion. I have only seen 1 cube corpse in all my time of playing Adom, but getting a few arrows of hunting isn't that difficult. (Hunt barbarians in the wilderness.) So it makes a big difference.

07-13-2013 08:24 AM
Ancient Member
According to the guidebook, at least, a bow of hunting increases drop chances for animals only, while the suffix for ammunition and melee weapons increases drop chances for all creatures. The guidebook has been wrong about stuff before, though.

07-13-2013 08:26 AM
Ancient Member
Well if we can believe the guidebook on this, I should add that arrows of hunting seem to raise the chance of a corpse for giant slugs to about 50%. So that would make -para almost guaranteed if you wanted it.

12-26-2015 04:56 PM
The Creator
I like this. About 1/3 of the corpses now grant paralyzation resistance. But you are paralyzed for a longer time when gaining it >:-]

+ Reply