Bring Keriax's Corpse in-line with other new Orb Guardian corpse effects (if not already)
issueid=2282 08-09-2013 11:36 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Harwin: 24
Bring Keriax's Corpse in-line with other new Orb Guardian corpse effects (if not already)
Keriax's corpse corrupts heavily, but you can end up with 0 positive effects (stat increases)

Prerelease 7 adjusted Orb Guardian effects via feature Issue 1244.

I'm basing this off of Keriax in Prelease 5 - I got the impression from others on the Adom forums that he had not been changed with that fix or since, so I'm assuming my information is up-to-date (and Keriax was not mentioned in issue 1244)

Keriax's corpse (according to the GB) provides a whole bunch of stat increases(including +10 st and +10 to) at the cost of a BUNCH of corruption. In my recent game, I ate his corpse and got no strength and 1 toughness out of it because my stats were at their potential caps.

I know that stat potential/stats have changed somewhat since prerelease 1.5, but I believe potentials are still hard limits for corpses like his.

I don't think he should provide the full benefit if you're at your potentials, but he should provide some benefits besides the sometimes benefit of gaining corruptions.

Note that right now he is not exactly "free" even if you can use the white unicorn immediately after eating, because in order to do that you had to give up the POGA rewards from the black unicorn quest, which DO increase potential stats.

Suggestions:
1) If you want to keep it just stats - let it raise potentials by some fraction of the current stat boost - 1/3 to 1/5. So if your strength is already at potential, you get 3-5 points from the corpse. This would also bring the positive benefits inline with those received from doing the Black Unicorn quest, albeit with the cost of having to feed the ratling, potentially pass the 90 day mark, and actually kill him.
2) I honestly don't know what the the new corpse effects from the orb guardians are in prerelease 7, but Keriax could get some benefits similar to those.

(As I said I'm basing this on play experience in Prerelease 5 and my understanding of issue 1244, but not actual play experience - if he's dramatically changed his corpse behavior since then it may already not be valid)
Issue Details
Issue Number 2282
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-10-2013 02:37 AM
Ancient Member
Just make the corpse always grant the full stat increases it currently only "potentially" gives. In fact, make all orb guardians work that way. This isn't like drinking five blessed potions of strength/toughness - you might get enough bad corruptions that the boost doesn't compensate for it, or even end up with less strength and toughness than you started with. That's the idea with these corpses, you either take them to the druid for a small but always positive gain, or eat them and gain power and random corruptions, which make the outcome not necessarily worth it. Risk vs. reward and all that.

If +10 St/To is deemed too generous of an increase, it can be reduced slightly, but it should always be high enough to tempt.

08-10-2013 03:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
If +10 St/To is deemed too generous of an increase, it can be reduced slightly, but it should always be high enough to tempt.
I think that's a really good point, and I think that it gets to the heart of the psychology involved in this sort of decision making process. You do want the player to be torn between the two possible decisions here, otherwise why give them the choice?

08-10-2013 08:23 AM
Ancient Member
My next statements are with regards to all corpses that has the potential to increase a Player Character's attributes.

In my opinion increases from corpses fall into the 'magical' sphere of things. It is a super-natural change of the physical body of a PC. It thus does not fall into the 'training' sphere of things. Which is a natural change of the body and here potentials should come into play.

I do however also think that a corpse should not raise the attribute beyond that of the creature that became a corpse. In other words, I think most corpses should retain the capacities they currently have in this respect.

tldr; Corpses that do raise attributes should also raise potentials up to the limits they have the potential to.

08-11-2013 01:11 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
My next statements are with regards to all corpses that has the potential to increase a Player Character's attributes.

In my opinion increases from corpses fall into the 'magical' sphere of things. It is a super-natural change of the physical body of a PC. It thus does not fall into the 'training' sphere of things. Which is a natural change of the body and here potentials should come into play.

I do however also think that a corpse should not raise the attribute beyond that of the creature that became a corpse. In other words, I think most corpses should retain the capacities they currently have in this respect.

tldr; Corpses that do raise attributes should also raise potentials up to the limits they have the potential to.
I think that is a good point. And, from a literal perspective, it would seem that anything that can't be explained by science (such as the PC suddenly growing in strength or toughness after eating a dead body) has to be magical. So, I think you are right all around.

07-03-2014 08:44 PM
Ancient Member
I think this requires a bump.

07-03-2014 08:51 PM
I concur; he's not really ever worth eating ATM.

07-03-2014 10:36 PM
Ancient Member
It's especially important since you are much more likely to consider eating any of the orb guardians as they have to be killed and most likely minotaur emperor too, all of that in every game.
Keriax is a creature that usually only aspiring ultras will face, thus I think the +10 bonuses that it's supposed to grant should always be granted irrespective of potentials.
That's a rare, dangerous and difficult to reach monster that also corrupts heavily when eaten. That is enough to make the corpse worth the exchange for corruption.

09-26-2016 09:38 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I think this requires a bump.
I'm guessing this situation hasn't changed...

09-27-2016 01:52 AM
Doesn't seem like it, no... but it would be a nice change!

+ Reply