Display bugs with duplicating monsters
issueid=2286 08-15-2013 03:18 AM
Number of reported issues by kNightCrawler: 8
Display bugs with duplicating monsters

In NotEye, some strange things sometimes seem to happen when monsters duplicate:

[]Their health bar goes red. This is possibly a known issue, due to some sort of problem with an internal calculation.
[]A monster appears with a ridiculously long health bar, and its wound status displays as "The <foo> is do not injured" -- like in the attached screenshot.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2286
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7 (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 14
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-15-2013 07:44 PM
Administrator
I can reproduce the typo in the wound status, but not the health bar problem.

Can you describe the circumstances a little more, e.g which dungeon you were in, which level the PC had, etc.? Did something special happen, for example was the new monster spawned on a trap?

08-15-2013 07:53 PM
It was in the Unremarkable Dungeon, the PC was about level 7 or 8, can't really remember much else...
I'll see if I can make it occur again, and attach the svg.

08-15-2013 08:04 PM
Administrator
Typo fixed.

08-15-2013 08:30 PM
Came across the really long health bar bug again -- it happened as soon as a chaos rat split. From the svg attached, it should be reproducable by just waiting for one of the rats to split again. Though, maybe one of them has to be killed first.

08-15-2013 10:00 PM
Administrator
Thanks, this helped a lot. It seems sometimes the hit points of the spawned monster are larger than its maximum hit points, which results in the long health bar.

08-22-2013 08:24 PM
Administrator
The duplicated monster now has the same amount of hit points as the original monster, so the health bar can't get any longer than 100 percent.

08-23-2013 08:03 AM
Ancient Member
If I'm reading this fix correctly duplicatees won't become any 'tougher' even if thousands of the same hereditary are created?

Is gremlins included?

This should make an adventurer's life a little easier.

08-23-2013 11:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
The duplicated monster now has the same amount of hit points as the original monster, so the health bar can't get any longer than 100 percent.
Some duplicating monsters (oozes, battle bunnies) are duplicating with close to zero HP, while other (worms) duplicating with full HP. It is probably intended, will this behavior stay after the change?

11-02-2013 07:12 PM
Ancient Member
This just feels a bit odd, I'd suggest they rather have the same hitpoints as the original monsters maximum HP and not current HP. I mean the duplicates are 'new' creatures, why should they be injured upon creation. Giving them 100 percent HP will still not push the bar over 100 percent, but exactly at 100 percent.

11-02-2013 07:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
This just feels a bit odd, I'd suggest they rather have the same hitpoints as the original monsters maximum HP and not current HP. I mean the duplicates are 'new' creatures, why should they be injured upon creation.
From my own research, some types of creatures (worms, claw bugs/killer beetles, chaos spawns) spawn new creatures that do copy their maximum HP, but others which were the subject of this bug report (chaos rats, bunnies, jellies/slimes/oozes) instead split, creating two creatures from the one original creature. Only monsters that duplicate/split, rather than spawn, share their current HP. Spawning monsters and duplicating monsters, thus, appear to follow different mechanics. Not sure if I'd want to see all of these creatures being treated the same, it would take a small bit of variety away from the game mechanics.

As for the bug, I'm guessing it came about 'cause when monsters shared their HP the newly created monster's HP was rounded incorrectly? Or something like that

11-02-2013 09:55 PM
Ancient Member
Ok, then I like it the way it is now. For a moment it just felt a bit weird. It does make somewhat sense for splitting breeders to have the same HP. As you say they are basically the same monster that just divided.

+ Reply