Debian 8 will not be able to run ADOM Noteye as currently built/packaged
issueid=2410 10-24-2013 12:39 AM
Number of reported issues by Alucard: 22
Debian 8 will not be able to run ADOM Noteye as currently built/packaged
Ubuntu could follow

ADOM for Linux with NotEye depends on libvga.so.1, which on Debian 6+7* is provided by the libsvga1 package. However, this package has been removed[1][2] from Unstable and Testing (what will be Debian 8 some time in 2015). So it affects those who run testing/unstable (like me on my laptop) now, though it won't affect Debian 6 or 7 users ever, at least until everyone is off of them.

Apparently, use of this library is frowned upon by some:
Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hutchings
isn't it time we quietly got rid of this library? Video memory and mode setting should be managed by the kernel, not by applications. It's bad enough that we had the X server doing this for years (and still do on some hardware).
So this is a warning that some other method, or way of providing libvga.so.1, may need to be found on Linux. I haven't found any evidence Ubuntu is also removing libsvga1, but as they generally follow Debian, they could as well.

* As of this submission: Debian 6 is aka Squeeze and Oldstable; Debian 7 is aka Wheezy and Stable; Debian 8 is aka Jessie and Testing; and as always, Debian Unstable is aka Sid.
[1] Last messages confirm it
[2] Package search for libsvga1 (see the lack of jessie/sid for [i386/amd64])
Issue Details
Issue Number 2410
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Fixed Version ADOM r58
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-29-2013 06:40 PM
Administrator
ADOM does not directly use libvga, but SDL does. So it should be sufficient to replace all SDL libraries with newer ones from Jessie. I will set up a Debian 8 VM to verify this.

10-29-2013 07:50 PM
Hmmm, on my system libsvga.so.1 is not found unless I install the package, even though there's some mention of it in the bundled-with-adom libSDL-1.2.so.0.
Here's what I get on Debian 7 64-bit now, trying 64-bit Debian Noteye P17.

Code:
alucard@thrawn:~/adom-p17-noteye$ ldd ./adom  | grep vga
        libvga.so.1 => not found
alucard@thrawn:~/adom-p17-noteye$ ./adom
./adom: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
alucard@thrawn:~/adom-p17-noteye$ sudo apt-get install libsvga1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libsvga1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/290 kB of archives.
After this operation, 594 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package libsvga1:amd64.
(Reading database ... 126249 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libsvga1:amd64 (from .../libsvga1_1%3a1.4.3-33_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up libsvga1:amd64 (1:1.4.3-33) ...
alucard@thrawn:~/adom-p17-noteye$ ldd ./adom  | grep vga
        libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvga.so.1 (0x00007fa0a8a2f000)
alucard@thrawn:~/adom-p17-noteye$ grep libvga.so.1 lib/*
Binary file lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 matches
And Debian 8, running jessie/sid (preferring jessie) all updated as of 2013-10-29:

libSDL-1.2.so.0 includes no reference to *vga*. libsdl1.2debian:amd64 1.2.15-7 is installed.
Code:
alucard@wedge:~/adom-p17-noteye$ ldd ./adom | grep vga
	libvga.so.1 => not found
alucard@wedge:~/adom-p17-noteye$ ./adom 
./adom: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I don't admit to well understanding how shared libraries work, but maybe distributing libvga.so.1 with adom but not part of libSDL-1.2.so.0 is in order?

10-29-2013 11:28 PM
Ancient Member
I can verify Alucard's results for the 64-bit Debian & Ubuntu Noteye build. I'm running Arch and had to grab svgalib from the AUR due to "error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

(somewhat relatedly, I actually had quite a bit of difficulty w/ Noteye originally because my libraries were newer and I had to symlink the .so to the required version. Is there any way for the required libraries to be linked against the "versionless" .so?)

01-15-2015 08:10 AM
I could reproduce that issue on Debian Jessie (64 bit) and Debian Wheezy (32 bit)

Replacing the libSDL-1.2.so.0 with a symbolic link fixed that issue for me

Debian Wheezy (i386)¹ / Debian Jessie (i386)

Code:
rm /home/norg/games/adom/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0 /home/norg/games/adom/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
Debian Wheezy (amd64) / Debian Jessie (amd64)

Code:
rm /home/norg/games/adom/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0 /home/norg/games/adom/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
(the libsdl packages should be installed)

04-29-2015 04:11 PM
Administrator
Debian 8 (Jessie) binaries will be available for the next release (R58).

+ Reply