Make stunning disable teleportation powers of non-PC monsters
issueid=2701 01-30-2014 04:14 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by SirTheta: 79
Make stunning disable teleportation powers of non-PC monsters

It is extremely exasperating to fight the D:50 balors with a L40+ Beastfighter (and, worse I presume, on a L25+ Thief). This is mainly because stunning a monster results in the immediate [almost immediate?] random teleportation of said monster. It would be much less exasperating if—instead of a monster losing control of the ability to control teleportation and teleporting randomly—stunning a monster instead temporarily removed their ability to teleport at all. They'd still stumble at random and all that jazz, but it would eliminate the huge sigh and need to hunt them down (or close the levers and walk halfway back up the corridor to lure the balor back to the lever).

This would presumably make Andor a much more tractable fight for Thiefs/Beastfighters as well.

For consistency, this would probably mean disabling teleportitis on a PC while they are stunned, but that's up to TB.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2701
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-30-2014 06:08 AM
Ancient Member
Teleport capable monsters being able to teleport away when stunned, blinded or confused is a defense mechanism of theirs. It makes these monsters special to fight in their own way and requires the player to adjust their strategy to suit.
I would not like to see this removed from the game.

01-30-2014 06:26 AM
Ancient Member
I don't think it adds any strategy at all for stunning (other instances [i.e. blindness/confusion] are fine). The only way NOT to stun creatures when you are a Thief or Beastfighter is not to melee them because it's a class power - you don't have a choice like, say, the acid blood corruption (which you can theoretically remove) or the phial of Caladriel (which you could not throw), etc. You're forced into stunning if you use melee, which is usually already the most dangerous way to engage such monsters (I guess exception is like fairy dragon/unicorns, but they are quite a bit rarer than your guaranteed balors). So basically, you pepper them with missiles, run/TP around level like bloody idiot tracking down balor, or close levers to bring him back [except he will just disappear again] - I don't see why the already-safest way to engage them has to be the ONLY non-tedious/realistic way to engage them on Beastfighter/Thief. Even stunned, balors would be no joke in melee compared to taking them on with missiles (literally zero risk way).

(addendum: do missile criticals stun on Thiefs? That would suck some pretty hard, they'd be totally screwed.)

06-06-2014 05:02 PM
Ancient Member
Bringing this back up because I was reminded of it by the Wiki's article on Andor Drakon and Thieves/Beastfighters. I think it's a huge problem and really needs fixing as it takes the class powers from "cool" to "absolutely infuriating".

06-06-2014 06:04 PM
Ancient Member
It's the same for mindcrafters and confusion. I guess that should stay as it is, since confusion is quite a bit different from stunning, but still, it's extremely annoying. Both for confused and stunned monsters.

06-06-2014 06:19 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
It's the same for mindcrafters and confusion. I guess that should stay as it is, since confusion is quite a bit different from stunning, but still, it's extremely annoying. Both for confused and stunned monsters.
Well the difference is that a mindcrafter can choose not to stun things - a Thief/Beastfighter cannot outside of using Magic/Missiles instead (i.e. a huge divergence from how they're meant to be played). Mindcrafters have very little trouble with these monsters because you don't need to confuse them to take them out [also you get corrupted if you do so].

06-06-2014 06:22 PM
Ancient Member
Are the PC's teleportation powers disabled while stunned?

06-06-2014 07:43 PM
Ancient Member
I regularly confuse corrupting monsters as a mindcrafter, the impact is negligible.
Though I agree that I can just choose to not use it against teleporting monsters because of the very mechanism you described.
I guess this RFE should only target the two specific class powers for thieves and bfs instead of stunning in its entirety.
In that case you have my vote.

06-06-2014 07:47 PM
Ancient Member
I regularly confuse corrupting monsters as a mindcrafter, the impact is negligible.
Though I agree that I can just choose to not use it against teleporting monsters because of the very mechanism you described.
I guess this RFE should only target the two specific class powers for thieves and bfs instead of stunning in its entirety.
In that case you have my vote.
That would be the idea, but I'm not sure if such fine-tuned granularity is possible. There's very few cases where stunning comes into effect outside of that [might just be stun ray, actually?], so I don't think it's a big deal to encompass all these things [after all, if you have Stun Ray...well, you probably don't need it to deal with balors / et al. Even if it's from a wand].

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Are the PC's teleportation powers disabled while stunned?
I do not know and or know if anyone else knows [I imagine it's a very rare situation to be in...]. It would seem doubtful that the PC teleports randomly while stunned, though [assuming they have +TPitis].

06-06-2014 07:53 PM
Ancient Member
In my case typically wands of stunning are used and only situationally early on against some nasty monsters I might not survive facing in melee.
Stunning is otherwise a near-useless spell since monsters shrug it off with startling regularity so I just ditch it past early game.

06-06-2014 08:01 PM
Ancient Member
In my case typically wands of stunning are used and only situationally early on against some nasty monsters I might not survive facing in melee.
Stunning is otherwise a near-useless spell since monsters shrug it off with startling regularity so I just ditch it past early game.
Yeah, it's only useful against Mino Mages - I imagine balors would shrug it way too much to make it effective. That's what I don't see a problem with a blanket ban on NPCs randomly TP'ing while stunned [they're too stunned to TP!].

06-07-2014 09:46 AM
Ancient Member
How about making the stunning class powers toggleable?

06-07-2014 03:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
How about making the stunning class powers toggleable?
Well, it seems like a much more complicated solution to the problem, imo. [Though what do I know about how complicated this is, true]

06-29-2014 11:24 AM
The Creator
I believe I have introduced a clever special case into the code that should satisfy everyone.

+ Reply