VDDL now contains non-TP traps
issueid=2716 02-14-2014 07:09 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by SirTheta: 79
VDDL now contains non-TP traps

I don't recall encountering this prior to the trap randomization change, but you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Since said change, I've noticed a fair amount of non-teleport traps in the VDDL where previously there had only been teleport traps. I'm pretty certain this is a bug.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2716
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 20
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-15-2014 04:49 AM
Ancient Member
I think that they have always showed up occasionally. Normal for a standard level--ie. maybe one or two.

02-15-2014 04:58 AM
Ancient Member
I've noticed quite a few in p20 -- usually three to four or more, generally. Not sure if this is an increase or not (or maybe just because entire level is being explored), but it feels out of sync with what I remember.

02-15-2014 04:09 PM
Ancient Member
Not directly related, but I think the VDDL (and gremlin cave) should be exempted from the new trap generation system, and just have diagonal rows of teleport/water traps like in 1.1.1. That ensured there will always be a lot of them, which makes the place pretty fun with all the monsters teleporting around.

02-16-2014 02:00 AM
Possible alternate solution to the issue - make all traps TP traps in the VDDL by default. In other words, remove the randomness of trap assignments. Then, to make sure there's a lot of them, have a minimum required number of traps generated. Say, one trap for every 10 regular spaces (or one in 15, if one in 10 is too frequent). The game will randomly place the traps until it reaches the required number of actual traps generated.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for the VDDL, given its nature, to only have teleport traps. Also regarding anon123's comment, water traps should be made much more frequent in the gremlin cave than other types of trap.

02-16-2014 03:39 PM
Ancient Member
There is currently more than enough water traps generated in the home cave of the gremlins to make the place a serious pain in the hind.

02-16-2014 05:12 PM
Ancient Member
Stingray is right. The gremlin cave is plenty difficult as-is.

07-10-2014 05:51 AM
The Creator
Fixed.

+ Reply