Add special for the resurrection day (30th of August)
issueid=2805 04-09-2014 10:18 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 291
Add special for the resurrection day (30th of August)

As per ADOM: The Resurrection crowd funding campaign.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2805
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.1.1
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)




04-10-2014 04:31 PM
Member
maybe an amulet of ressurection? haha. IDK about maybe having one of those, but it'd fit. What would you have in mind for a special there? I'm in either way (votes as such) but I just want to know what you've got planned.

04-10-2014 08:40 PM
Ancient Member
Add Fate Smiles would be reasonable, but there's already days that do similar things.

Characters start with 90,169 gold? Or 90,169 USD converted to gold based on the current exchange rate? Doesn't work out to much, I'm afraid :p

04-10-2014 09:58 PM
Ancient Member
Maybe killing 9017 monsters would grant the player a free wand of wishing with 2 charges?

04-11-2014 03:11 AM
Ancient Member
I agree with using that particular number somehow and the resurrection motif. Maybe the 9017th monster killed by an August 30th PC could drop an amulet of life saving?

04-12-2014 12:20 AM
Ancient Member
at 90,169 moves you get a random artifact

04-12-2014 05:29 AM
Senior Member
Given that money is relevant, and it's about money being used to get something great, how about playing it out more literally?

Characters starting on 30th of August will find that either the Lawenilothehl, Dwarftown, or HMV shop will contain an artifact costing 90,169 gp - it could be pushed a bit further, requiring the PC to have 90,169 experience points before it will be generated, too (alternatively, 90,169 steps could work).

The artifact could be a unique artifact, made for this particular special day, and could have a resurrection theme of some sort. I'm picturing basically an uber-AoLS in a way - can't be destroyed by normal means, restores full HP (but disappears on use) upon death, and perhaps having special benefit if used to save Khelavaster (and could be eternium rather than iron, so Mist Elves would also be able to use it). Since it would pretty much be a modified AoLS with an "artifact" flag, it should be pretty easy to implement.

04-12-2014 08:32 AM
Ancient Member
As it is the day of resurrection, I think a cursed Amulet of Life Saving equipped in the neck slot would suffice.

Edit - For mist elves, one in inventory.

04-16-2014 04:35 PM
Member
what's cursed do, as opposed to the other statuses, in this case? I'm not sure. I only ever found one AoLS in my entire time playing ADOM, and I had no idea what it was before it kicked in. On that note, maybe I did find some more, but like the last time, I never knew what I had when I found it...

04-16-2014 04:53 PM
Ancient Member
I assumed the reason for cursed was to make it difficult to remove - so it's vulnerable to item destruction etc so it's harder to save for a particular point in the game, while still being nice to have.

04-16-2014 05:23 PM
Ancient Member
Cursed aols resurrects the PC with 1 HP vs half HP for uncursed and full HP for blessed.
If you're surrounded by a spider factory, not even 5 cursed aols would save you. Bad idea.

04-16-2014 06:39 PM
Ancient Member
I wonder how many people would suspiciously find that their calendar is always set to Aug 30 if a free AoLS were on offer.

04-16-2014 07:06 PM
Ancient Member
Do people do that now for Creation Day?

Certainly I'd probably roll up several characters on that same day to play over time.

04-16-2014 08:01 PM
Ancient Member
Well, if people want to cheat that is their prerogative. Changing your system clock or rolling a bunch of characters is cheating. In my books it is the same as save-scumming pool sips for a wish, which anyone is free to do anyway.

There is only one resurrection day per year. You roll a character and play it until you win or lose, then you roll the next. You don't roll 30 characters and play with the best roll, that is not playing the game as it should be played. If people want to be scummers that is their prerogative too.

04-16-2014 08:20 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Well, if people want to cheat that is their prerogative. Changing your system clock or rolling a bunch of characters is cheating. In my books it is the same as save-scumming pool sips for a wish, which anyone is free to do anyway.

There is only one resurrection day per year. You roll a character and play it until you win or lose, then you roll the next. You don't roll 30 characters and play with the best roll, that is not playing the game as it should be played. If people want to be scummers that is their prerogative too.
I wouldn't throw the others away - I'd play them all. Sometimes I want to see how the game plays with those starting characters, and I don't want to have to wait another year to try the next one. But everyone's definition of cheating varies. If I rolled up 200 characters this way I'd probably consider that "cheating" - I might as well change the system clock. If I roll up 5 or so, all of different classes, I wouldn't - I'm trying a few characters with an unusual (yes, favorable), starting position.


Edit:
But to your broader point - yes - players can always do things like change the date, reroll for starsign, save scum. I agree that shouldn't be a reason not to do something thematically appropriate and cool for resurrection day.

04-17-2014 04:24 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Cursed aols resurrects the PC with 1 HP vs half HP for uncursed and full HP for blessed.
If you're surrounded by a spider factory, not even 5 cursed aols would save you. Bad idea.
Last time I checked, a cursed AoLS revives you with 1/4th HP but drains your To by 1d3+1 points... which makes using five of them an even worse idea :)

04-17-2014 07:58 AM
Ancient Member
I don't know why you discuss the cursedness of the AoLS as if it mattered much. Once the player finds their first holy water or scroll of uncursing it will stop being cursed, so it won't matter.

I think it would be OP to start with an AoLS. Now, placing a guaranteed AoLS in some place in the map or giving it under certain conditions would be fine. Although 9K monsters is too much. None of my winners ever killed 9K monsters.

04-17-2014 08:25 AM
Ancient Member
Rolling a bunch of characters is not cheating and will never be cheating. Starsigns should be selectable, period.

04-17-2014 03:32 PM
Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Cursed aols resurrects the PC with 1 HP vs half HP for uncursed and full HP for blessed.
If you're surrounded by a spider factory, not even 5 cursed aols would save you. Bad idea.

Well then, the one I found was uncursed then, but heck. I had no idea what I had till it triggered. on the subject of amulets, does anyone know what the amulet Necklace Of The Eye does? maybe it's just another joke item, like the scroll of cure blindness, but IDK.

Back on subject, though, maybe Necromancer Characters rolled on this day could start off with a pre-existing, level one skeleton minion, and have an added die to their skill increase roll for the necromancy skill. Mist Elf characters get a homonculus (unless MI Necros, then it's a skeleton), and also the added skill bump.

04-17-2014 03:49 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by theseus12
Well then, the one I found was uncursed then, but heck. I had no idea what I had till it triggered. on the subject of amulets, does anyone know what the amulet Necklace Of The Eye does? maybe it's just another joke item, like the scroll of cure blindness, but IDK.

Back on subject, though, maybe Necromancer Characters rolled on this day could start off with a pre-existing, level one skeleton minion, and have an added die to their skill increase roll for the necromancy skill. Mist Elf characters get a homonculus (unless MI Necros, then it's a skeleton), and also the added skill bump.
Theseus - Try necklace of the eye and the 'H' keyboard command(before and after)

05-11-2014 12:11 PM
The Creator
Implemented something special. Actually while doing so I discovered that there already was a special implemented and I forgot to close the ticket. But as the initial special is so incredibly rare that you are more likely to in a lottery than ever seeing it I believe that two specials are totally ok in order to commemorate this special day.

+ Reply