[BUG]Fatal Game Crash on Descent
issueid=2891 04-27-2014 05:05 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
[BUG]Fatal Game Crash on Descent

Playing on pre22, descended from D:8 to D:9 and received an error to the effect of "Could not load coordinates (-1,-1)". Resulted in game-ending crash without recovery. Sorry, don't have more information than that.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2891
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 5
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-27-2014 10:40 AM
Administrator
Do you remember if it was a room related error message (i.e. "Trying to retrieve a room at invalid coordinates (-1, -1)")?

04-27-2014 11:13 PM
I just encountered exactly that error message, descending from D10. I was adjacent to a neutral minotaur who decided to follow me down. I hadn't found Dwarftown yet, it might have been the next level.
The next error message generated was "Couldn't open temporary level file adtl01_0 [TLL]"
Then "Could not remove <local path to tmpdata>

ADOM seemed to get stuck in a loop on that error, I couldn't get off the error screen or quit, I had to force quit through task manager.

04-28-2014 03:18 AM
Ancient Member
Possibly something to do with generating DT then? I was going to D:9, so that seems possible.

04-28-2014 07:16 AM
The Creator
I can easily get to DT. So at least it doesn't happen all the time.

Are you playing in graphical mode or ASCII? Anything special in your games (e.g. companions)? Which dungeons did you visit before? Class? Race? Level?

04-28-2014 11:00 AM
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
I just encountered exactly that error message, descending from D10. I was adjacent to a neutral minotaur who decided to follow me down. I hadn't found Dwarftown yet, it might have been the next level.
The next error message generated was "Couldn't open temporary level file adtl01_0 [TLL]"
Then "Could not remove <local path to tmpdata>

ADOM seemed to get stuck in a loop on that error, I couldn't get off the error screen or quit, I had to force quit through task manager.
This just happened to me, too. I was one level below Dwarftown, descended from D: 11 to D: 12 when this happened. Thrundarr's random monster quest and graveyard quest done. Level 16 dwarven farmer, no companions etc.

04-28-2014 12:03 PM
I was playing in tile mode, width 96. Grey elf druid, no companions. I don't remember anything special about the level I was leaving--maybe a statue? I think I'd encountered the penguin/CP violation statue recently.

In my case, I was wondering if the monster following me downstairs triggered the error. The game didn't generate an adom.err file.

04-28-2014 02:23 PM
Ancient Member
I was playing in ASCII. Orc barbarian, about level 12 (did not have Pyramid scroll for sure). I had visited Puppy Cave, DD, and UD. No companions.

04-28-2014 04:41 PM
Ancient Member
Can it be related to the river change (10ish DL seems like a common thing among crash reports and rivers were removed from upper levels)? http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2876

04-28-2014 08:06 PM
The Creator
No. Rivers IMHO can't be the cause. Basically I just added a check to generate rivers later than before. No changes to the river code itself, etc.

This is very very strange and very very annoying :-( But it makes no sense to release p23 before we have found this problem :-P

04-28-2014 08:32 PM
Interesting tidbit: the character still shows up in the list of saved games, but its name is a null string.

[A] - , a male level 11 high elven druid (.svg)

I can't restore the character, of course, selecting 'a' has no effect (ADOM just ignores the input, I can select the other game).

I renamed the file err.svg and attached.

04-28-2014 08:38 PM
Administrator
Please, can anyone post the complete/exact error message? There are only a few error messages in ADOM which contain the word "coordinates", but I'm still not sure where to start looking for the problem. I couldn't reproduce it yet.

04-28-2014 09:46 PM
For me it was exactly the error message you suggested in the first reply. Sorry if I was unclear. The other messages I mentioned occurred after I pressed enter.
"Trying to retrieve a room at invalid coordinates (-1, -1)" on the first error screen.
then
"Couldn't open temporary level file adtl01_0 [TLL]" on the second error screen.
then
"Could not remove C: ... ... /tmpdata" on the third screen (I'm just not bothering to type the full path under C:)
on the third error screen, which did not clear when I pressed enter, so I had to force quit in task manager.

04-28-2014 09:53 PM
Administrator
Ok, thanks! Hopefully this will help to find the cause of the problem.

04-29-2014 12:03 AM
I just got this going from D:9 (the si level) to D:10 (presumably Dwarftown?) I'm experiencing the same loop, as well. This is on Debian 64-bit.

04-29-2014 12:04 AM
The reason ADOM can't remove the temporary directory is because adom_tdl09_0 is still there.

04-29-2014 12:52 AM
Got a save file that reproduces it. Attempt to go down the stairs and see the pain.

04-29-2014 12:54 AM
(Also, if you can tell me a way to recover my game, that would be amazing!)

04-29-2014 05:00 AM
Got the same bug when descending to D:2, restoring save game from the server backup was successful (original save game was broken and without a character name), descending into the same dungeon second time went without any problems.

Therefore it must be triggered by some random level feature, which is dynamically generated upon level entry.

04-29-2014 04:29 PM
Administrator
Thanks for the save game, it helped a lot!

The game only crashes if you descend into a level with a shop and the stairway location (of the current level) is inside the shop area (of the next level).

04-29-2014 04:46 PM
Ancient Member
Ah, you tried to implement a new way of robbing shops. :p

+ Reply