Allow to remove cursed items from tool slot
issueid=2960 05-11-2014 08:29 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 83
Allow to remove cursed items from tool slot

As far as my understanding goes, tool slot is not the actual item slot (seeing as bonuses from items don't get accounted for it with the sole exception in chaos orbs), it's main use is to provide a shortcut. I've been playing a bard where I equipped a scourge in the tool slot to whip myself to neutrality early in the game (to get Healing) and it turned out to be cursed. As I use Music heavily while playing bards actually playing music instruments is a huge annoyance and I actually can do it despite a cursed scourge being stuck in my "worn" items.

It would be nice to remove inability to remove cursed items from the tool slot. Currently I see no gameplay dependance on it being free to use tools and getting stuck with something cursed simply leads to an increase in the number of buttons pressed.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2960
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)




05-11-2014 08:44 PM
Senior Member
"Currently I see no gameplay dependance on it "

I sometimes use it to identify cursed moss of mareilon. :)

05-11-2014 08:45 PM
Ancient Member
(seeing as bonuses from items don't get accounted for it with the sole exception in chaos orbs)
Unless this is ever changed, I agree with the suggestion.

05-12-2014 03:39 AM
Senior Member
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
"Currently I see no gameplay dependance on it "

I sometimes use it to identify cursed moss of mareilon. :)
Seems like a further argument for removing the effect.

05-12-2014 08:32 AM
Ancient Member
I would love to see items in tool slots grant their bonuses normally.
However, since I have already suggested this before at least for some items, and that suggestion has been rejected, I'd rather have the game ignore cursed items in tool slot and allow the PC to take them off at will.

05-12-2014 10:03 PM
Senior Member
I vote yes. I can see why TB might want to stop you from swapping out cursed tools, same as other items, but as you can currently have one item in the slot and 'U'se another it seems daft to keep the current behaviour.

05-12-2014 11:15 PM
Senior Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I would love to see items in tool slots grant their bonuses normally.
I must admit, I miss putting regeneration items in odd slots to increase hitpoint gains! :D

05-13-2014 06:19 AM
Member
"(seeing as bonuses from items don't get accounted for it with the sole exception in chaos orbs)"

Actually this is exactly how it's supposed to be, isn't it?

Orbs are tools, so equipping a tool in tool slot gives you bonuses, just like wearing a ring in ring slot gives you bonuses.

However, you cannot wear anything else than rings in ring slot, but you can equip weapons and food in tool slot.. and you cannot equip the Si in tool slot even it is a tool ;)

Definitely voting Yes.

05-13-2014 09:39 AM
Ancient Member
Sylph you mistake being able to put any item into any slot to gain bonuses with being able to put items that are clearly tools AND weapons into tool slot and have them bestow the bonuses as intended.
For example Hammerhead is arguably a tool 1st, a weapon 2nd. Yet it only grants its bonunses when wielded as a weapon. That is not fair.
Understandably there aren't that many items which can be used in both slots, but some do exist: whips, scourges, pick axes, rings of djinni summoning, torches, probably some more.
Take torches and imagine this: one torch in tool slot, two other torches dual wielded. How exactly does that work? Three hands? One torch in your teeth? Lol.
Yet they all give light, no matter where they are put.

05-13-2014 12:33 PM
Qui Qui is offline
Senior Member
I always saw tool slot as more of a "convenience" thing - you're in a fight, you can put spense there, you're doing some mining, you put a pickaxe there, you're herbing up, you put moss there, etc. Now, torches are a bit different, because the other things I mentioned can be 'U'sed from inventory, and torches cannot. And, of course, once you get your first orb, it's no longer a tool slot. It's an Orb slot ;) for whichever +10 you prefer.

05-13-2014 04:27 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Take torches and imagine this: one torch in tool slot, two other torches dual wielded. How exactly does that work? Three hands? One torch in your teeth? Lol.
In this particular situation, I always pictured the PC putting the third torch in a holster. Now, digging with a tool slot pickaxe while you're already holding a weapon and shield in your hands...

05-13-2014 07:14 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
In this particular situation, I always pictured the PC putting the third torch in a holster. Now, digging with a tool slot pickaxe while you're already holding a weapon and shield in your hands...
Well, as can easily be seen if you're less than 75s burdened, the pickaxe is 'holstered' when in the tool slot - and only gets put into your hands when you're using it. I always assumed that meant you hung up your weapon while you were digging.

05-14-2014 05:34 AM
Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
In this particular situation, I always pictured the PC putting the third torch in a holster. Now, digging with a tool slot pickaxe while you're already holding a weapon and shield in your hands...
Just like firing arrows from your bow while holding a spear and a shield? ;)

05-14-2014 02:13 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Heikki
Just like firing arrows from your bow while holding a spear and a shield? ;)
Exactly! :D

05-18-2014 12:24 AM
Senior Member
Quote Originally Posted by Heikki
Just like firing arrows from your bow while holding a spear and a shield? ;)
Grasp the bow in the same hand as the spear and pull back on the arrow with your teeth :-P

05-18-2014 06:21 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by YourMum
Grasp the bow in the same hand as the spear and pull back on the arrow with your teeth :-P
How do you hold that torch in the tool slot then? :D

05-18-2014 06:49 PM
Senior Member
you just sort of slot it behind your ear, like people do with pencils, just being careful not to set your hair alight

obviously you're in for a bit of an upset if you sneeze while all this is going on!

05-19-2014 09:18 AM
Member
I disagree with the suggestion.

Firstly, in terms of changing the gameplay it is completely unimportant - I am completely against any RFEs that are just posted for the sake of posting RFE. Give the Creator the time to focus on more important stuff. I am just saying...

Secondly, there are some items that require tools slot to funnction properly - orbs, everburning torch.... Not being able to remove items from the slot is additional obstacle for the player. I see no reason to make things easier for us.

05-19-2014 12:12 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kordianus
I disagree with the suggestion.

Firstly, in terms of changing the gameplay it is completely unimportant - I am completely against any RFEs that are just posted for the sake of posting RFE. Give the Creator the time to focus on more important stuff. I am just saying...

Secondly, there are some items that require tools slot to funnction properly - orbs, everburning torch.... Not being able to remove items from the slot is additional obstacle for the player. I see no reason to make things easier for us.
All other items slots have a predefined place which directly corresponds to a body part, tool items do not.

Currently, I can equip a cursed key in the tool slot and it would be stuck there till I remove it in some way. But surprisingly I can use any other key from my inventory freely by invoking 'U'. The game will show me the following message when I try to remove a cursed key from the tool slot:
"You are unable to remove the cursed triangular key!" Just where exactly is it held?

We are able to remove items from the missile slot freely, even if it's a cursed rune-covered trident and not an arrow in some unseen quiver. This is because missile slot is simply a shortcut. The tool slot is simply a shortcut as well and thus both need to function in the same way.

If anything, I believe torches and chaos orbs giving passive bonuses in the tool slot is a bad game design. I'd create and RFE for that if I didn't know in advance that it will get downvoted hard.

By the way, my RFE primary intent is to make the game more logical and better (at least for me). There is a thing called "priority" (lowest 10 out of 10 for this RFE) which is designed to be used by the Creator to focus on more important stuff. I am just saying.

05-19-2014 01:53 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kordianus
Firstly, in terms of changing the gameplay it is completely unimportant - I am completely against any RFEs that are just posted for the sake of posting RFE. Give the Creator the time to focus on more important stuff. I am just saying...
This is a pretty awful argument! The vast majority of RFEs are posted for a pretty good reason (and, certainly, someone like _Ln_ is not posting just to post!). Just because you think something is unimportant doesn't mean a lot of other players don't think it is - just look at the number of comments on this RFE.

07-06-2014 05:11 PM
The Creator
I agree with it making sense to be able to remove items from the tool slot freely. It is a kind of a shortcut.

+ Reply