Attacking is possible when dual-wielding shields
issueid=303 07-21-2011 09:19 AM
Number of reported issues by adamalive: 12
Attacking is possible when dual-wielding shields

Attacking is possible when dual-wielding shields. Just documenting it here in case this isn't intended behaviour.

From my testing, no weapon marks are gained from successful attacks whilst dual-wielding shields, which makes sense... In game terms, I suppose the PC is bashing critters with the shield(s).

I will note however that my PC is attacking twice each turn when dual-wielding shields (the same as what happens if he is unarmed: see http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=302).
Issue Details
Issue Number 303
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version JADE 0.1.3
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-21-2011 10:32 AM
Yeah, shouldn't be able to attack twice. I do like the idea of an ability to kind of attack while dual-wielding shields, though, and hope it gets kept. Just make it a "strange weapon" type... which I think should get its own weapon class, which would hold anything you can attack with, but which isn't a traditional weapon. So, Large Rations, potions, things like that, all of them would be "strange weapons". And while they wouldn't give anywhere near the bonuses that normal weapons would, it would at least give you a bit of an advantage.

In short, shields should be like any other non-weapon when used as a weapon - given a rather lacklustre attack strength, but still functional in the right circumstances.

07-21-2011 10:41 AM
Hrm, I don't know if it'd be necessary to add a "strange weapon" category (you mean for actual weapon skills, right?).. I just don't think it would be worth the trouble really.

I do however like the idea of bashing things with shields. Whether it's implemented as a class power, or special attack of some sort, or even just something that anyone wielding a shield can attempt (who knows the grand complexity of the future combat system? Probably not even TB at this stage).

Depending on how it's implemented (if at all), any turn spent attacking with a shield should probably have some sort of penalty to your defenses (logically, anyway).

08-12-2011 11:42 PM
The Creator
Fixed for JADE 0.1.3. Please send your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com for it to be included in the credits.

+ Reply