Perception
issueid=3071 06-11-2014 02:32 PM
Number of reported issues by Krough Firender: 5
Perception
Adding more influence

I don't know about anyone else, but when I generate a character, I only really look at the first 5 attributes, and ignore the ones on the right (except mana when I'm a caster). I don't want to buff perception for the sake of buffing something; I want to suggest something thing which I think makes sense, and makes us care a little bit more about what our perception stat looks like, while making the game more fun.

Perception should affect missile to-hit and crit chance (by a small amount). Having high perception would logically make hitting targets far away easier, as well as finding the chink in armor where you can slip your blade. Maybe some of this missile accuracy would be shifted away from dex to perception so as not to increase the potency of missiles overall.

What do you guys think? Or do you see a point in giving more power to the lesser attributes?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3071
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-11-2014 02:40 PM
Ancient Member
Perception is actually pretty good, but its effects are subtle. Makes a difference detecting traps and secret doors. Increases line of sight (very handy!); you definitely notice if you hit the corruption that drops your Pe down by 10. I believe threat/shudder rooms are only detected by a perception check. I can't remember what else off the top of my head. Having Pe below 10 is very annoying.

06-11-2014 04:46 PM
I know that having low perception can by annoying sometimes, but having high perception seems to rarely have any real effect on the game (compared to Str. Dex and To). I would like to see it matter more, because currently, I have no qualms about wearing the orcish helmet because I consider my score in perception almost irrelavent unless it is extremely low.

06-22-2014 06:05 PM
Yeah seriously, i went from playing a load of elves with great Pe to a dwarf with low Pe that lost even more due to a corruption and it was rubbish, only being able to see 2 or 3 squares ahead. Felt really claustrophobic. I like to have Pe at 20 or more, after that you have to increase it a hell of a lot to get any more gain out of it.

06-22-2014 10:40 PM
Ancient Member
I often consider perception when deciding if I want to play that char or not.
View range is the crucial factor, I typically don't play chars that have less than 15 Pe, although in rare cases I will play chaos knights with that since they rarely get more than 10-12.

06-26-2014 08:08 PM
The Creator
Perception overall IMHO is pretty good as others posters stated. Nonetheless I have added a (very) minor modifier to missile combat derived from the perception attribute as this really seems to be a very logical thing to do.

+ Reply