Important messages no longer show up now (more) is removed.
issueid=3140 07-14-2014 08:04 AM
Number of reported issues by mimhoff: 8
Important messages no longer show up now (more) is removed.
Bring back (more)!

Was just disarmed by a ratling fencer. The message informing me of this was overwritten in the same turn by another monster attack, so there was nothing at all to indicate I was now unarmed!

I understand why (more) was removed, but there must be a better way to handle these messages. Especially in the ASCII mode which has only one line message buffer.

Getting multi-line quests from Twyat Pare/Guth'Alak/Thrundarr are also affected.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3140
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Unconfirmed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM r48
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

07-14-2014 10:22 AM
Message about picking pockets (successfull or not) is overwritten by monster attacks. Really annoying.

07-14-2014 03:27 PM
It seems some effects (e.g. poison) get a (more) prompt, but disarming doesn't.

And I can reproduce what asdf says: player actions get overwritten by other messages. So in the case of pickpocketing, one has to check the message buffer every time to see what the result was...

07-14-2014 05:56 PM
I don't know how difficult it would be implement as I've never programmed an ASCII game (or any game for that matter), but wouldn't this problem be solved by making it possible to customize the length of the message area? Like up to a max of 10 lines? That would be enough to display the messages in almost any situation. On top of that, messages like "-foo- disarms you" should be given a color to make them easier to spot.

07-16-2014 04:38 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by sillihai
I don't know how difficult it would be implement as I've never programmed an ASCII game (or any game for that matter), but wouldn't this problem be solved by making it possible to customize the length of the message area? Like up to a max of 10 lines? That would be enough to display the messages in almost any situation. On top of that, messages like "-foo- disarms you" should be given a color to make them easier to spot.
It's obviously not easy as otherwise we would have done it. Very likely the NotEye mode soon will have a long buffer but for ASCII the story sadly is a lot more complicated.

07-16-2014 05:48 AM
The Creator
This actually is a tough problem. I totally had forgotten about the important combat messages. Is there any way to summarize the ones you would consider important?

So far we have:
- being disarmed
- seeing the results of pocket picking

But basically I'm afraid that my current approach probably was not as good as an idea as I had imaged. I have restored the old default behavior for now.

07-16-2014 05:50 AM
The Creator
@mimhoff: I BTW can't reproduce the behavior for multi-line quest messages. Could it be that you have been pressing ENTER instead of space or other keys? ENTER skips all messages. And always did.

07-16-2014 07:02 AM
"@mimhoff: I BTW can't reproduce the behavior for multi-line quest messages. Could it be that you have been pressing ENTER instead of space or other keys? ENTER skips all messages. And always did."

On checking, they do indeed work as they did before. That one was just my impatience.

07-16-2014 07:06 AM
It's vital to know, what happened. I frequently :m to see what status changed and if I don't see it on the first page - btw. HiColors are nice, +more is essential to find out, what ails my character, what monster caused what.

07-16-2014 08:17 AM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with the old behaviour. If I'm fighting a horde of weak monsters which give a lot of spam I can use Ctrl-k to quickly fight through it; if I'm fighting tough monsters then I want to be sure that I take in every line.

Some of the messages could be shortened or condensed perhaps, but that would be enough I think. (e.g. "you deflect the giant rat (x8)")

07-16-2014 08:21 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Is there any way to summarize the ones you would consider important?
Getting hit, disarming traps while under attack (gremlin cave), walking onto interesting item while under attack, etc etc etc...

Perhaps everything while under attack - you cant really see anything if several monsters hit you.

07-16-2014 08:30 AM
Ancient Member
There is some discussion also in this thread: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3042

I think condensing identical messages into "The rat misses you. (x8)" would definitely be a big step in the right direction.

07-16-2014 06:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
This actually is a tough problem. I totally had forgotten about the important combat messages. Is there any way to summarize the ones you would consider important?

So far we have:
- being disarmed
- seeing the results of pocket picking

But basically I'm afraid that my current approach probably was not as good as an idea as I had imaged. I have restored the old default behavior for now.
Having it just be (more) is a good idea, for ASCII, if nothing else. Maybe we should keep that there, and let Noteye have the fancy message stuff, thus letting the ASCII be the ADOM Classic?

07-17-2014 04:29 AM
Any critical hit on you could be considered important. I've lost several characters because I suffered a couple of critical hits in a row and didn't notice that my HP had dropped from over 100 to 10.

07-17-2014 07:40 AM
Could messages be graded by importance, eg 1. Stuff that's not directly happening to the PC (eg spider-spam, confused monsters), 2. Stuff that is happening to the PC (probably all those monster attacks that fail to hit or damage, maybe some other things, 3. Stuff stuff that is happening to the PC (pretty much everything else, damage taken, stats changed, poisoning, stunning, disarming, messages that result from player actions the pickpocketing). You could then the game to show all messages, grades 2+3, or just 3.

Crits should definitely be in red like stat decreases. Maybe non-attacking PC-monster interactions could have a colour too?

07-18-2014 12:41 PM
I would suggest the old behaviour with just small tweaks. Such as what Al-Khwarizmi suggests.

+ Reply