Start ADOM Deluxe in full screen mode
issueid=3163 07-18-2014 09:46 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Start ADOM Deluxe in full screen mode

ADOM Deluxe probably should start "like a real game", in full screen mode.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3163
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM r53
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users jt, Zeno
Tags (none)

07-18-2014 10:00 PM
Ancient Member
As someone who intends to buy ADOM Deluxe - I'd definitely want an option to not start in full-screen. I always like playing ADOM windowed, even if I tend to expand the window quite a bit.

07-19-2014 08:07 AM
Ancient Member
Changing the default NotEye configuration should be enough to "implement" this. Of course Harwin will be able to change the configuration back, so that it starts windowed for him.

07-19-2014 08:30 AM
The Creator
I'd love to have an ADOM configuration option in adom.cfg for that, so that things possibly can stay in one place.

07-19-2014 09:38 AM
A lot of indie Steam games start in a window.

07-19-2014 07:07 PM
Ancient Member
The Windows port of the game has run windowed for many years now, and I wouldn't have that any other way :)

07-19-2014 11:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
The Windows port of the game has run windowed for many years now, and I wouldn't have that any other way :)
Second that. For example, I have two monitors and I absolutely LOATHE running things in full-screen, since full-screen on one monitor frequently messes the other one in some way, plus I can't keep attention on one window for too long and switch constantly. I play ADOM in maximized window on big monitor, and that seems the best solution for me.

07-20-2014 06:14 AM
Nope. I don't ever ever want it starting full screen. Turn-based games that can take ages, such as ADOM, are great multi-tasking games. Multitasking for me, that is. I can (and frequently) do switch out to check other apps .. not least is the web-browser that has ADOM wiki information I need to refer to.

I like the idea of starting-fullscreen as an *option*. But windowed has always been the default, and I think it's the right default.

07-20-2014 06:52 AM
The Creator
Thanks for the feedback. So I guess just memorizing the full screen selection mode and keeping to that probably is the way to go. Playing customs seem to have changed ;-)

07-20-2014 07:05 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Thanks for the feedback. So I guess just memorizing the full screen selection mode and keeping to that probably is the way to go. Playing customs seem to have changed ;-)
Well, when ADOM began, people were not connected to the internet all the time -- and they had DOS so they could only run one application at a time :D

07-20-2014 11:47 AM
Ancient Member
Well, for the record, I do prefer full screen. I don't like playing games windowed as it doesn't benefit immersion, and the un-fullscreen-able nature of the Windows port is something I have always seen as an annoyance, not an advantage.

However, any default is fine by me as long as it can be changed.

07-20-2014 12:01 PM
yes if the version rest accessible with screen reader in ascii mode. I don't know if exist one version deluxe in ascii in dos.

11-24-2014 11:44 PM
The Creator
ADOM currently memorizes user settings and restores them after loading. Nonetheless the game always will start in windowed mode (for now) as most people seem to prefer that. Later on we might add a configuration file option if there is enough demand.

+ Reply