Revise the message area
issueid=3175 07-18-2014 09:07 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Revise the message area

In tiled mode there should be two options to handle the message area:
  • 2 lines at the top (the classical mode)
  • an endless scrolling list at the bottom flowing into the screen (similar to TOME and others)
  • there need to be keybindings to switch between the two modes
Issue Details
Issue Number 3175
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM r53
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users Zeno
Tags (none)

08-02-2014 11:55 AM
The Creator
I'll start with adding game events about additions to the message buffer as well as new commands to switch between message buffer modes. This is going to kill save file compatibility.

08-02-2014 04:54 PM
The Creator
I've checked in my first batch of changes. Now opening a thread on the DevTeam board.

08-05-2014 09:00 AM
Another option might be a separate window for messages. For example, I use two monitors, so I could move that on secondary monitor while playing maximized on the primary.

08-05-2014 04:41 PM
Ancient Member
I personally hate with a passion programs that open windows all over the place (like the first versions of ADOM II, before the immersive mode was introduced). If that alternative is taken, I hope it's optional.

08-10-2014 11:56 PM
This is kind of an interesting and tricky option. ..If you use separate windows it might be nice and flexible for those who play the game windowed. (me) But if the ADOM view is just extended in one direction to accommodate a message area, with the play-area remaining as it is, then it's still all in one tidy window. I'm quite partial to that idea as well. (I like its tidiness.) ..Two-monitor users should be able to make good use of it as well, just by having the window positioned with the message/game split on the split between the two monitors.

Probably impossible to do this so it pleases everyone. :)

08-11-2014 05:13 AM
The Creator
Sorry, no separate windows. ADOM currently does not even have a concept for that idea.

08-11-2014 09:43 AM
Cool. That makes it an easy decision. :) ..I do like the all-in-one-window concept better the more I think about it.

08-11-2014 01:02 PM
Creator, have you seen this related request yet? Might be worth considering at the same time as this.

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3226

08-11-2014 08:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Sorry, no separate windows. ADOM currently does not even have a concept for that idea.
Thank God, um.. thanks to the The Creator!

12-08-2014 06:03 AM
The Creator
We now need to test this. The internal changes have been far most sweeping than I ever expected. ADOM internally is not well prepared to handle such different modes and there were dozens of problems. I expect some to pop up in the near future and we quickly need to get them ironed out for the Steam release.

12-08-2014 10:21 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
We now need to test this. The internal changes have been far most sweeping than I ever expected. ADOM internally is not well prepared to handle such different modes and there were dozens of problems. I expect some to pop up in the near future and we quickly need to get them ironed out for the Steam release.
If the changes are overarching I think you should do a prerelease before the Steam release... four people testing might not be enough to catch all the bugs!

12-08-2014 08:51 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
If the changes are overarching I think you should do a prerelease before the Steam release... four people testing might not be enough to catch all the bugs!
We are right now trying to get a Steam beta test organized. I have some more data crunching to do for that and we are waiting for Steam keys. But we definitely will not release a public Steam version without some decent Steam community testing ;-)

+ Reply