Refine character generation process
issueid=3194 07-18-2014 09:31 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Refine character generation process

Each step should display all important information in a pleasing manner (e.g. race descriptions, class descriptions, ...)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3194
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users adom-admin, Ravenmore, Zeno
Tags (none)

07-21-2014 09:40 AM
How about a possibility to step back, for example if, after reading the class descriptions, the player decides he would like a different race to go with the class he likes?

07-21-2014 11:00 AM
Display top recommended professions for a race: grey elf--wizard/archer for example.

Hyperlinked descriptions with BACK buttons would be really interesting: like the Knights of the Chalice help system: after I read a description I could go back to character creation.

Clicking on wizard would show class description + Wi Le Ma importance, each with a link and some info from the Wiki.

07-21-2014 11:43 AM
I think it is fine as is, unless you are willing to put in things like Birth Date selection.

The problem is, race descriptions and class descriptions are missing a lot of the important information in the manual, so they have to be learned by hand (or through guidebooks) anyway.
For example, most of the race descriptions don't mention their longevity - something Ghost Bats quickly teach to the aspiring Troll characters. Food preferences, class adjustments to Weapon Skill points required (i.e. that Duelists are lousy with the best single-handed weapon in game, Spear, and are worse with ranged weapons than Wizards is not mentioned there), spellbook generation RNG rate and difficulty of reading, etc, etc.

07-21-2014 01:31 PM
I'd like to see a 'random class' option, that picks a random class, but asks the player which race/sex she would like *after* we know the class we'll be playing.
At the moment I fudge this by making a random character, quitting the game, then making a new character with the class that was randomly chosen last time.

11-23-2014 02:49 PM
The Creator
I have decided to move this ticket to "after the initial Steam release" as it's probably not essential. And we really should try to make it before Christmas.

12-04-2015 08:00 AM
Ancient Member
This screen mockup I've added probably goes with this ticket, an example of quick clear game customization on a bottom graphical bar: click the icons to cycle through options

Example:
goblin = monster difficulty (changes to an orc for normal and a dragon for hard)

Requires tooltips appearing instantly.

I really like the hyperlinked descriptions idea, but that sound like a lot of work?

12-08-2015 12:46 AM
I love the newly implemented Back buttons as suggested a couple of times above. Attractive, smooth and utterly useful :3

01-06-2016 08:53 PM
The Creator
You will love the new ADOM Deluxe (and also standard) character generation process starting being available in R65. It's marvelous.

+ Reply