New fortune cookie message: They say Rolf was left handed
issueid=3399 11-04-2014 12:42 PM
Number of reported issues by sylph: 26
New fortune cookie message: They say Rolf was left handed
"They say Rolf was left handed" - reference to wielding the artifacts

I've been playing for years, and only recently realised (after being told by another player) the massive bonus Rolf's set gets if wielded correctly. Unlike most obscure 'hidden secrets' in Adom, there are no hints to this one that I can find. I'd suggest a fortune cookie message, or maybe a statue of Rolf that specifically notes that he's left-handed, as a hint.

(Note - it's been suggested that this could be put into Thundarr's dialogue about Rolf. That's probably a better place for it, and definitely gets my vote)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3399
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version ADOM r53
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-04-2014 04:33 PM
Ancient Member
"Massive bonus" is perhaps +20 to hit and +10 to damage or maybe less. I wouldn't say it's even remotely close to massive.
Still, it is an obscure piece of information.

11-04-2014 04:39 PM
Ancient Member
An in-game hint would be nice, but maybe it could be incorporated into what Thrundarr already says about Rolf instead, since the fortune cookie messages seem to be more general pieces of wisdom and don't mention specific names so far.

11-04-2014 05:03 PM
Ancient Member
Well, +10 to damage is basically the difference between an orcish spear and an eternium spear, and accounts for about a 60% increase in the base damage of the weapon. It's pretty substantial.

I agree that this information should be available somewhere. Instead of a fortune cookie, I'd rather it included in Thrundarr's dialogue.

11-04-2014 06:19 PM
I'm upvoting the fortune cookie instead. It's a nice tidbit of information which gives you a nice boost, but you can live without it. There's sufficient Thrundarr dialogue already anyway.

11-05-2014 01:29 AM
Ancient Member
+10 melee damage is massive, considering it takes many points of Strength and/or weapon skill levels to reach that. Also, a critical hit turns it into 20 points - or even 30 if you've blessed the axe and fight undead and demons.

11-05-2014 01:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I wouldn't say it's even remotely close to massive.
Without the bonus Rolf's is comparable to the scorched spear, in damage.
With the bonus Rolf's sits in between executor and big punch, outperforming skullcrusher, a sword of sharpness, whip of slaughtering, mace of destruction etc.

edit: Also, people in this thread keep quoting damage... Weilding the set correctly gives you +10 tohit as well as +10dmg.

If you don't think the difference between scorched spear and big punch is massive, then it's just a matter of my definition of 'massive' being bigger than yours. Sorry if I picked the wrong word.
My point is, there's no hint to this debatabely major difference in damage of an interesting artifact with a little ingame backstory. Maybe if asking thundarr about Rolf gave some sentence about him being left-handed, there would at least be a clue for unspoiled or new players? Edit: Already mentioned by basically everyone else in this thread. You're all right - it would probably be better in Rolf's Dialogue! Part of me still loves the idea of a statue of Rolf in dwarftown though!

(My current character (dwarf ranger) is weilding the shield and axe correctly, and I'm really quite taken aback at just how powerful an artifact it is. I cleared darkforge at level 14 without breaking a sweat...)

11-05-2014 05:07 PM
I like the idea of having a statue of Rolf in the middle of town ^_^

11-06-2014 11:04 AM
I had no idea that this bonus existed, but as a real-life lefty I've always wielded weapons left-handed in ADOM too. Wondered why nobody else seemed to love the Rolf set like I did.

11-09-2014 07:59 AM
The Creator
Added a fortune cookie.

+ Reply