corruption absorbing
issueid=3646 03-11-2015 07:18 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
corruption absorbing

This is by no means high priority and the way it is now is probably by design. However there is only one artifact containing the essence of chaos that is considered anything better than useless (shield of raw steel). Corruption is already an enemy that is difficult to deal with, and frankly I'm not sure there are any stats that you could attach to these items that would make them any better than very situationally useful. Does anyone use the boots of great speed, even after the bonus was tripled? Maybe the value of these items is a little different for certain challenge games, perhaps someone can tell me.

I think it would be nice if there were an artifact, or wand-of-wishing-rare (and unwishable) item in the game that absorbed the chaos 'aura' of these items, so that only a small of percentage of said corruption passes on to the bearer.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3646
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-14-2015 05:06 PM
Ancient Member
The boots have an unfortunate feature of being nigh-impossible to get without a very lucky roll on corruption effects.
I got them recently with a weaponsmith only because I obtained the necessary corruptions one after another and then promptly left the boots in my pyramid stash, along with celestrix, crown of science, justifier, black thumb and some other ratling fodder.

The more useful part was the one that involved eating ~10 quickling corpses to get some permanent bonuses on par with what the boots offered in the past, before the buff.
I was already short on chaos removal so the idea of actually wearing the boots was inconceivable.

09-14-2015 06:25 PM
Ancient Member
Seems like an interesting suggestion if this item occupied a useful slot and had a chance to be overcharged (which destroys it)?

I'd suggest several items -- say, circlet/ring + very rare gem (tool slot) + artifact something that is naturally indestructible.

Every turn there is a chance the item explodes (1/10000?) and fails to prevent corruption (1/10?). Seems like an okay thing to me, on the level of blankets.

Then again, only relevant for SoRS/AoRS/Moon Sickle (some additional mechanic against its corrupting hits?), because everything else dooms you.

09-14-2015 06:29 PM
Not sure if the item is necessary outside of simply rebalancing such artifacts, but I think a great candidate would be a new item: horns dropped from white unicorns. A very chaotic act but very powerful if you get it, which fits the whole idea of a chaotic character committing atrocities for power pretty well. Unicorns in general are rare and horns would not necessarily be 100% drop rate - or possibly limit it by only being dropped by Yrriur

09-14-2015 08:45 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Burb
Not sure if the item is necessary outside of simply rebalancing such artifacts, but I think a great candidate would be a new item: horns dropped from white unicorns. A very chaotic act but very powerful if you get it, which fits the whole idea of a chaotic character committing atrocities for power pretty well. Unicorns in general are rare and horns would not necessarily be 100% drop rate - or possibly limit it by only being dropped by Yrriur
I like it.

09-14-2015 09:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Burb
This is a good one, although I wouldn't have Yrruir as a guaranteed source. Normal probability or somewhat above normal, but not guaranteed - the quest itself gives some rewards already.

09-15-2015 12:07 AM
I'd love to see 'artifact blanket of absoption' that would absorb essense of chaos and corruption while item is in your inventory so that you won't need to drop them every time everywhere while blanket is in your inventory.

At least PC won't be punished for carrying them and will be able to equip these artifacts whenever needed with such blanket.

09-15-2015 08:04 AM
I'd suggest a random item (potion maybe) that absorbs corruption from those artifacts. If you forget to throw it away in time it will blow up after absorbing too much, adding all the corruption that has been absorbed and some more to the PC. And maybe some damage etc as well. There should be some simple way to check the status (i.e. still safe to carry or not) of the absorbing item.

+ Reply