Damaged moving toward stairs in challenge mode
issueid=3723 06-06-2015 05:05 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Mobius: 63
Damaged moving toward stairs in challenge mode

On challenge mode, with the 'must move towards stairs or take damage' mode on, sometimes your character will still take damage despite moving towards the stairs.

I was running the challenge mode today (June 5 2015), a troll assassin, using First Aid and healing to move around the dungeon a bit.
I decided to move back towards the stairs, and took damage.
I worried I did it wrong, so move again back towards stairs, and took damage and died.

[TR AS DR C++ V= !F T- <! ]
Issue Details
Issue Number 3723
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM r57
Fixed Version ADOM r60
Milestone Initial Steam Release
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-11-2015 08:25 PM
The Creator
Does anyone have a valid save file for r59 allowing us to reproduce this?

08-11-2015 08:39 PM
The Creator
Could it be that you moved from a position connected to the stairs via a straight line to a more diagonally connected position? Diagonals are farther distant than straight lines even though the number of tiles between you and the stairs or the number of steps required to get to the stairs might seem the same.

08-11-2015 09:44 PM
Ancient Member
Does it calculate the shortest path through explored areas only or can the shortest path also go through unexplored areas or even through unrevealed secret doors?

08-11-2015 09:48 PM
Ancient Member
I was on a straight line I think. I will try to reproduce it, even if I have to mess with the current date

08-12-2015 05:22 AM
Ancient Member
Wait, I can't get to challenge mode on r59
What am I doing wrong?

08-12-2015 07:38 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
Wait, I can't get to challenge mode on r59
What am I doing wrong?
Do you play the Deluxe or the standard version? If Deluxe... why not? What's happening?

08-12-2015 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
I was playing r57. I downloaded r59 from the public site, and did not see the Challenge Mode option.

Just downloaded r58 from the pre-release site, set the date to June 5, and made it happen.

Specifically, once I saw the stairs, I walked directly there. Then moved away once (took damage), used first aid, moved away again (took damage), used first aid, moved back again.

Expected result:
no damage

Result:
took damage.

I moved directly away, no diagonals. Just to the right twice, then directly back once to the left.

--
the save file is from r58, a trollish assassin, just after the stair damage was applied incorrectly.

08-12-2015 11:03 PM
The Creator
@Mobius: Now I understood. Thanks!

The game always memorized the closest distance you ever had been to the stairs. You took damage as long as you were further away than that closest distance. Moving away twice and moving back once thus didn't help.

Fixed.

+ Reply