Vile spirit request from Steam forums re: too many generating and a feature (version 62)
issueid=4053 11-21-2015 12:15 AM
Number of reported issues by raixel: 1
Vile spirit request from Steam forums re: too many generating and a feature (version 62)
A request to tweak VS generation

Original post from Steam forums regarding the Steam release. Request to be posted here by TheCreator.

I ran into a VS called Oblong. My first reaction was "Who the...is Oblong, I never had a PC named that..." Next was "OMG, theres other player's VSes running around."

Problem is, they run around EVERYWHERE, including the very early game levels, and they appear REALLY frequently. I saw one on every single level of the puppy cave 1-4, and I'm OP for the area, but one of them did serious damage to my lv 10PC (nearly creating yet another out of depth VS), I cant imagine a new PC trying to beat the 4 day timer dealing with that.

I propose a toggle like VS generation: (off) (your PCs only) (all players rare) (all players lots) or something like that.

Running into the occasional one is cool, especially when its one you recognize so I wish there was an option to have only your VSs...I dont want to turn them off completely.

The traditional "early game" areas shouldnt have them at all, you already die way too easy at low levels,

They should really only be in the mid to late game areas, and then rarely. Nethack doesnt allow bones levels on the first few dungeon levels, and they are uncommon to rare enough that finding one is a treat.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4053
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Implemented Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

11-21-2015 12:23 AM
Ancient Member
Oblong, look at what you did.

11-21-2015 12:24 AM
It wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to get all adom.cfg settings into the game UI eventually

11-21-2015 12:54 AM
No harm in having an option to turn them off.
I personally don't mind the level of generation and find it adds interest so far if they're from friends' accounts - what really bugs me is the -strength- of their generation. I had a character die at level 4 in PC2. My new level 5 wandered in there, better equipped and with better spells, and had to run for her life because I couldn't even scratch the remnant ghost of the old one! I suggest nerfing their abilities by a couple of levels.

11-21-2015 01:01 AM
Ancient Member
I suggest they be below the power of the PC in early game, but move gradually ahead as you progress, as those later characters have better means of escape/circumnavigation to return back with a better means of taking the creature down if they don't presently have it.

I still don't think these things should be spammed, however, and perhaps a hard limit on the number that can appear in a given game should be set to a reasonable figure.

11-25-2015 07:17 PM
Some kind of change would be good.

I would be happier encountering 1 VS in something like one in every 4 games.

11-25-2015 07:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo

50% chance of skeleton warrior in high kings to spawn as a vile spirit (with confusion/summoning power) :)

11-26-2015 01:34 AM
I've made this comment elsewhere now, so to add it to this RFE as well -

I think there should be three options regarding Vile Spirits in the global settings for ADOM (rather than per-character), preferably accessible through either the main menu or NotEYE menu, preferably without impact on whether the game counts as Standard.
I would suggest "No Player Ghosts", "Only Local Ghosts" and "Crowd Ghosts" for varying levels of impact.
I also still think that the strength of vile spirits should be nerfed - especially for lower levels or in the early game caves - and the frequency of having them generate in early game caves needs to drop a bit as well.

11-26-2015 11:57 AM
Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo

It's only 3rd day since I registered on Steam and bought deluxe. Vile Spirits is the one of things that encouraged me to buy Deluxe. Since I don't have friends on Steam and wasn't able to save the qute dog with ME beyond level six I haven't seen Vile Spirits yet.

I'm not sure yet what they are but making them extraordinary rare would be disappointing. I would love to see at least several per game preferebly in mid- and late-game areas.
Of course having an option to tweak generation rate and their strength would work well, there is already one to turn them off completely.

11-28-2015 01:35 PM
I guess they are a bit strong, but I got 48 hours played on deluxe version and I have encountered only 2 Vile Spirits, I wouldn't mind seeing them more often. And 1 of those Vile Spirits was my old character.

11-28-2015 01:50 PM
All that I have seen were easily the strongest creatures on the level. That's just not the game I was expecting to play.

11-28-2015 07:24 PM
Hm, I get them almost every game... The distribution between other players experiences and mine seems weird here.

11-29-2015 04:30 AM
I don't mind them being frequent and interesting additions, but if so, they need to be far less powerful.

12-06-2015 08:56 AM
The Creator
I now have added some more checks to make more balanced ghosts appear and probably not quite so erratic. Also the very early game levels now are safe from ghosts. This probably will require more experimentation as ghosts really derive quite a few of their statistics from the former character and as a consequence ghosts e.g. generated from a melee monster PC will be a lot more deadly in melee than ones created from a spell caster. But I'm optimistic about the balance improving :-)

12-08-2015 01:29 AM
Sounds good :)

+ Reply