Improve question-based character generation and make it transparent
issueid=4162 12-12-2015 10:04 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Improve question-based character generation and make it transparent
It's just not worthy to use. Effect is nearly unnoticeable for unspoiled players. And it's mostly negated even for spoiled players. It doesn't affect "personality" - it affect attributes only.

1. Show the effect of each answer to the player. Example:

2. Display attributes during question-based character generation.
3. Implement #2386. A couple ideas how it could work (just examples):

Why?

As far as I can see question-based character generation was meant to work the following way: you answer questions selecting prefered behavior for your PC and you're getting something without knowing exactly what the actual effect of your answers was. Well, probably it was meant that players should try to experiment, solve the puzzle and guess how it works but I doubt.
This was never working due to the following difficulties:
- Before I became spoiled I didn't thought generation effects only attributes. Mostly I was chosing answers in terms of alignment. Aka my troll barbarians were picking bad answers and dwarven paladins good answers only.
- Effect is negated by other random factors which affect attributes as well.
- If you don't know exactly what each answer of 10 questions do would you waste your time just to generate another character which isn't very different from completely random-generated? I wouldn't anymore.
- If you don't know what your current attributes are how would you build the character you want to get? E.g. if you want toughness and learning but due to random factors your character sometimes gets only insufficient learning, sometimes insufficient toughness.
- You can open wiki or guidebook and decrypt each answer. It's very inconvenient way. But question system isn't a puzzle anymore in any case.
It leaves vague impression. It looks cool and awesome from scratch but once you try it a couple of times and didn't notice any effect you'll definitely be disappointed and generate your characters randomly.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4162
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-12-2015 10:34 PM
Ancient Member
That looks like a really fun idea! I'd actually consider using questions if that were the case.

12-13-2015 01:55 AM
Ancient Member
My vote: Remove questions entirely. Especially with point-based character generation, this feature is totally superfluous. Even without point-based, it just makes character generation too long.

12-13-2015 09:14 AM
I kinda like the question-based character creation. It's a creative way to let the player have an influence on the character -- much better than boiling it down to naked points distribution. (It also reminds me of the beginning of the Ultima games, which is always a good thing.) :)

That said, I'd rather the influence of the questions remain unspecified, not spelled-out as points. Though, if this was added, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

12-13-2015 10:32 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
My vote: Remove questions entirely. Especially with point-based character generation, this feature is totally superfluous. Even without point-based, it just makes character generation too long.
As far as I know there are 51 question total. There are 4 answers for each question. That's quite a lot of text. There is an effect related to each question. I believe TB spent a lot of time adding this question-based character generation into the game. And yes, this is more creative than point-based character generation.
If I were TB I wouldn't just throw this away. Well, it's probably ok to get rid of some old code but do you think one could remove his own texts especially in such volume?

Another question - why remove? You're not forced to go through it, it's totally optional. And there are players who like it. If you're not using it that doesn't mean no one uses or at least no one wants to use.

Finally point-based character generation isn't there and I might not be implemented at all.

12-13-2015 09:40 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Nooo! The question system may be worthless for the players who are only interested in winning and competition, but it's great for those of us who like to roleplay. I have always considered it a great distinctive feature of the game, and I have friends who have gotten a really good first impression of the game due to this.

It's optional, no one is forced to answer any questions, and precisely with the incoming point-based system, people who aren't interested in the question system will be able to get the same numeric effect without questions. So please don't remove this option.

I also concur with tkoyah - I'd rather the outcome of the questions be kept hidden as it is now (min-maxers will use the points system anyway), although I wouldn't be outraged if it weren't.

12-14-2015 05:24 AM
Ancient Member
The question system is fun if you like roleplaying, so please keep it for that reason.

I´m against transparancy, because that would distract you from roleplaying. (Because it encourages you to base your decision on stat rewards, instead of thinking about what your character would do.)

12-14-2015 09:18 AM
Ancient Member
I like the RFE. I think it should be optional whether you can see the effects, and perhaps have the effects on stats be non-guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Nooo! The question system may be worthless for the players who are only interested in winning and competition, but it's great for those of us who like to roleplay.
I didn't realise this mini-game was that fun. If you like that segment of the game so much, why not play through the question part, then quit the character and make a new one and do it again? Personally I think it allows you to roleplay, but that doesn't mean it's a particularly fun way of doing it.

I like role-playing to an extent, but I also like to get on with the game, and I like to know if things are having an effect. The trouble is the effects of the answers you choose are often not what you'd think they would be, often cancel each other out, and due to inherent randomness of the final score they have little effect overall--it is ONLY when you know the exact numbers via spoiling yourself that you can harness them to your advantage.

So yes, this is JUST for people who like roleplaying--if I were being facetious I'd say that I agree with half of Jellyslayer's idea of removal--just remove the stat effects, and have it just a roleplaying Q&A to make you feel more immersed and invested in a character that might die 1000 turns from now.

I'd rather the outcome of the questions be kept hidden as it is now
Quote Originally Posted by tkoyah
I'd rather the influence of the questions remain unspecified, not spelled-out as points.
This gives me an idea: have question-answering select your class. Anyway it seems weird that people are suddenly allergic to numbers because 'mah roleplaying' when the rest of the game is so blatantly number orientated, to the point that I won't visit certain locations with a certain pv or dv, etc.

12-15-2015 01:35 AM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
Anyway it seems weird that people are suddenly allergic to numbers because 'mah role-playing' when the rest of the game is so blatantly number orientated, to the point that I won't visit certain locations with a certain pv or dv, etc.
For anyone who went through other question-based creation RPG's, such as the Ultima series, nostalgia may be a good part of it. But, that said, the early Ultima's were simple point distribution, and the latter ones were question-based, and I have to say I much preferred the later method.

A very important aspect of the question method is that you may be surprised from time to time on the exact make-up of the character you end up with. Half of the fun of the early game with ADOM is getting from the mixed-bag of character-stats and inventory items you've been lumped with, to your strong, experienced hero with shiny armour and weapons. You get to worry about those numbers *more* in the early game than if you'd had a known, precise influence on them.

So it's not an allergy of numbers. I don't worry about the numbers in character generation, so I can fuss over the numbers *more* in the game proper.

12-15-2015 01:46 AM
Personally I'd like to see the stat changes displayed, currently I look them up on the wiki which is a pain in the ass. Does it diminish the roleplay value to see the stats? Personally I think it's ok.

The questions definitely shouldn't be scrapped, many people clearly enjoy them.

I'm not voting yet because this isn't an essential change for me, with a points-based system coming soon I won't have much cause to use the question system in the future.

12-15-2015 02:02 AM
I can take or leave the stats being displayed. ..perhaps, if people feel strongly about the stats being displayed, there could be an entry in the config file that toggles them? Like the Show_Experience one.

12-15-2015 03:49 AM
Ancient Member
From the point of view of an unspoiled player, the question system appears as mystic as it should, contributing greatly to immersion. I know this from my earlier self who used to love it, but also from friends I managed to avoid spoiling. They still use it and believe that is has many subtle effects that it doesn't really have.

It should be fixed not by making it more gamey (showing stats) thus breaking all immersion, but rather by adding those subtle effects! Let the questions have

- a significant effect on your alignment
- a minor effect on your initial piety
- maybe some question/answer combinations could give a chance for initial lucky/cursed status.
- a chance for an extra starting gear (I remember a question about reading or burning books when being out in the cold...)
- a usually not available starting talent (due to stat restriction) could be made available ..
- etc. etc.

And this should definitely not be transparent and quite subtle, so that random remains on average a similarly well choice.

By the way, some of this subtle side effects could also go with the talents....

12-15-2015 08:30 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel
From the point of view of an unspoiled player, the question system appears as mystic as it should, contributing greatly to immersion. I know this from my earlier self who used to love it, but also from friends I managed to avoid spoiling. They still use it and believe that is has many subtle effects that it doesn't really have.

It should be fixed not by making it more gamey (showing stats) thus breaking all immersion, but rather by adding those subtle effects! Let the questions have

- maybe some question/answer combinations could give a chance for initial lucky/cursed status.
- a chance for an extra starting gear (I remember a question about reading or burning books when being out in the cold...)
- a usually not available starting talent (due to stat restriction) could be made available ..
- etc. etc.

And this should definitely not be transparent and quite subtle, so that random remains on average a similarly well choice.

Seems to me like the placebo effect can save Thomas some programming work.

12-15-2015 10:27 AM
Ancient Member
Showing extra meta-information based on player preference is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

A rather recent major RPG release (Pillars of Eternity) did exactly that and placed it under difficulty settings (which you choose at the start of the game).

Catering to a larger player base can only be done this way IMHO.

12-15-2015 03:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel

- etc. etc.

I also like this way more but I'm not sure if it will be implemented ever. If system stays the same I'm for showing stats. Completely agree on config entry.

12-15-2015 06:45 PM
I would love to see the questions have a chance of granting skills, talents, items, pets, alignment, and everything else.

12-21-2015 02:25 AM
Ancient Member
I'm 100% against removing the questions or displaying the stat changes done by each answer. I absolutely fell in love with the question system when I first played this game, it was one of those things that made ADOM stand out for me. And it seems many others feel that way too.

The other idea (point no. 3 of the first post) is interesting, but something springs to mind - what do you do with players that roll attributes randomly? Act as if they'd picked random answers, therefore giving rewards they didn't "earn", or nothing at all (which would give the question system an edge)?

12-21-2015 04:58 AM
Give randomizers one random boon from the possibilties in the question system.

12-21-2015 06:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
The other idea (point no. 3 of the first post) is interesting, but something springs to mind - what do you do with players that roll attributes randomly? Act as if they'd picked random answers, therefore giving rewards they didn't "earn", or nothing at all (which would give the question system an edge)?
I'd think it should act like random answers were picked up. This way those who likes complete random won't be disadvantage.

+ Reply