Prevent auto-swap from making neutral mobs hostile
issueid=4344 06-26-2016 10:58 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Albahan: 7
Prevent auto-swap from making neutral mobs hostile
In Dwarftown, autoswap can anger some neutral dwarfs causing problems

I have personally just experienced this, and after doing a search in the forums I saw that many other players experienced the same thing. With auto-swap now being automatically enabled it can be very easy to accidentally anger a dwarf in dwarftown by swapping spaces with them too much. It's easy not to notice that you've angered the dwarf and then kill them, causing the shopkeeper to become hostile. This recently ruined one of my games and I could imagine it being a source of anger and confusion for new players. I would recommend either having the dwarf resist the swap, make the message that notifies the user that the dwarf is now hostile more noticeable, or just make it so that they won't become hostile when you swap spots with them.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4344
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-27-2016 09:54 AM
Yes for friendly monsters at least. I agree it makes no sense for dwarves and villagers to get angry at you, even if the chance of it happening is small.
Neutrals are usually potential hostiles in dungeons, so I think it's OK for them to get angry.

06-27-2016 11:48 AM
I thought about the issue a bit deeper. Maybe it's possible to make angry someone this way. He might say anything unpleasant or even might punch you... But would he like to kill you just because you swapped with him?

I don't think it will be done in the near future but one game has a good implementation of handling this. Solution is called Level of Conflict. In Dwarf Fortress if someone fights you he doesn't necessary wants to kill you, he might be just playing each other, training, might be brawling (exactly what would be the level for angry swapped dwarves), the opponent might want to beat you up but not kill (could make sense for arena), the fight might continue until one is dead, one is frightened or piece is is accepted or there can be no quarter conflict where opponent won't run away or accept piece.

@Creator, maybe have a look into this? If not now - maybe something similar can be introduced at the later stage?

06-27-2016 02:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I thought about the issue a bit deeper. Maybe it's possible to make angry someone this way. He might say anything unpleasant or even might punch you... But would he like to kill you just because you swapped with him?

I don't think it will be done in the near future but one game has a good implementation of handling this. Solution is called Level of Conflict. In Dwarf Fortress if someone fights you he doesn't necessary wants to kill you, he might be just playing each other, training, might be brawling (exactly what would be the level for angry swapped dwarves), the opponent might want to beat you up but not kill (could make sense for arena), the fight might continue until one is dead, one is frightened or piece is is accepted or there can be no quarter conflict where opponent won't run away or accept piece.

@Creator, maybe have a look into this? If not now - maybe something similar can be introduced at the later stage?
If a person who brawls you in DF tries to choke you (or vise verca), isn't that auto upgrade to lethal combat?

06-27-2016 03:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
If a person who brawls you in DF tries to choke you (or vise verca), isn't that auto upgrade to lethal combat?
Yes, choking is something beyond brawling and it does makes sense. I see it the following way in ADOM:

1. You swap with drunk dwarf.
2. Dwarf gets angry and punches you. (but with no intentions to kill you like now)
3.a You're free to punch him back. Or wait a bit until he calms down, offer piece.
3.b But if you try to slice through him with you eternium two-handed sword of devastation - conflict level should be indeed upgraded to lethal. At that point shopkeeper could become hostile. Against you.

A side note. ADOM could bring confirmation dialog asking if you really won't to attack if your action would upgrade conflict level. The same way when attacking neutrals. In ADOM fashion this prompt could be missed for berserkers and chaotics with no law skill.

06-27-2016 04:19 PM
I could see this being taken in either the non-hostile approach (can never anger friendly mobs with force switch), or in the "they get angry but don't want to kill you" approach.

I don't know if it would make sense to make a whole new system for "anger levels" in the game, but maybe if someone gets mad at you for pushing them around too much, they could just punch you once and then shove off? Rather than going for life-or-death combat, at least.

10-31-2017 05:24 AM
Bump for this feature, it's a pain to walk through dwarftown dodging every single inhabitant.

10-31-2017 11:33 AM
Total support. I'd also like to be able to automatically switch places with friendlies like the demented ratling, or any NPC in Terinyo with the exception of the shopkeeper, instead of the 'do you want to attack' prompt.

10-31-2017 11:39 AM
The Creator
Fixed. Peaceful and friendly monsters no longer turn hostile. I'm not sure why I ever thought this might be a good idea.

11-01-2017 04:12 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Fixed. Peaceful and friendly monsters no longer turn hostile. I'm not sure why I ever thought this might be a good idea.
fairly sure you put it in to stop people swapping glod off the level in dwaftown.

11-05-2017 09:04 AM
Maybe disable the forge if glod isn't in the level? "The forge seems to be locked by a magical force. Maybe Glod will have the key..."

11-06-2017 05:12 PM
Dunno if this is the case... But why can't Glod get back to the level by his own feet in case he was lured out wothout any magical means? Btw, why can't he navigate directly to his normal location if he's far away but is still in dwarftown, there is someone who already behaves this way!
Well, if player was nasty enough to get him away and lock him in a room far from dwarftown, why he can't be given Glod's forge as a reward?.. It is really causing that much disbalance in game?

Edit: finally, can't Glod or anyone else be important be a bit smarter just to stay in his village and not to follow swapping stangers down or upstairs? Without any magical or any other means...

11-07-2017 12:36 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
fairly sure you put it in to stop people swapping glod off the level in dwaftown.
It's much easier and less tedious to do when he becomes hostile so I don't see how this would be the reason. I used to lure him by swapping many times without any issue then I discovered the web/stun wand method (or just Ventriloquism).

Random dorf townspeople are the problem, not Glod.

+ Reply