Rewrite "l"ook command
issueid=4434 08-28-2016 05:31 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Rewrite "l"ook command

While the "l"look command is very useful, its UI is pretty horrible:
- Some item information gets displayed right away without any chance of stopping this.
- Sometimes the keys available are not longer visible and the user has to guess.
The whole command should be rewritten to internally use a kind of "position information structure" that could be re-used for tooltips in NotEye and for a better ASCII UI.
[M]ore should generally be used to request detail information and general information should be available in such a way that no (more) prompts appear ever.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4434
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM r68 (v2.2.2)
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-30-2016 04:03 AM
Is it possible the look command will show enemy hp state from a distance to match the NotEye healthbar functionality?

08-30-2016 06:50 AM
IMO how the 'l'ook command worked in 1.0.0 was quite fine.

09-19-2016 09:55 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Mr.PelicanPants
Is it possible the look command will show enemy hp state from a distance to match the NotEye healthbar functionality?
That healthbar was a weird addition anyway, I thought that the original behaviour of showing only the rough state (not/slightly/moderately/heavily injured) was intentional.

09-19-2016 08:09 PM
Ancient Member
I've recently been frustrated with these exact issues w/ the look command and think this would be a very excellent change.

06-24-2017 12:46 PM
The Creator
ADOM now uses an information window instead of the message buffer to display information of the current position examined. This IMHO nicely simplifies the UI and is more extendable if we want to add extra information in the future.

TBD: We need to integrate these tooltips into NotEye. IMHO we could do it so that - if you hover over a position for 750 milliseconds (a good delay value for tooltips as I remember from my Java Swing days) it could show the tooltip automatically. We probably need to add events to the look tooltip display code in 'DisplayLookToolTip' containing both the text and maybe more. We also would need to take care of the special case of being able to press 'm' to get the monster memory for monsters you examine.

06-25-2017 09:07 AM
The Creator
@Mr.PelicanPants: Look mode now also displays the current hit point percentage of monsters in order to mirror the graphical health bar of monsters more closely.

10-23-2017 12:28 AM
The Creator
Fixed by now.

+ Reply