Simplify using the detect traps skill
issueid=4902 08-26-2017 08:48 AM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 468
Simplify using the detect traps skill

It's rather tedious to use detect traps effectively as it is directional and requires 'a'pplying the skill to be of maximum usefulness. The following changes will be applied to make the skill more beneficial and useful:
  • 'A'pplying the skill now will simply activate the 's'earch command.
  • 'S'earch now will have the same chance of success as 'a'pplying the skill (formerly the chance was much lower).
  • 'A'pplying the skill now always will search all tiles surrounding the PC as well as the spot (s)he is standing on (formerly it was directional).
Issue Details
Issue Number 4902
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

08-26-2017 09:10 AM
'S'earch now will have the same chance of success as 'a'pplying the skill (formerly the chance was much lower)
I did not know this. I always relied on the search method because it was two fewer keypresses to use. Frankly it seemed quite effective already at moderate skill levels when using the search key.

08-27-2017 01:30 AM
Perhaps (leveled?) thieves could detect traps from distance as well?

08-27-2017 10:59 AM
^ Perhaps also make (blessed) rings of searching able to do that?

08-27-2017 09:23 PM
For thieves or any class?

Keep in mind it's a powerful skill, maybe the Ring of the master cat + a ring of searching, the alertness, concentration and detect traps skills at 100, plus careful, alert and sixth sense talent, for a 3-4 square radius.

Even for thieves I suggest to leave an instrinsical 2-3 square radius, unless maybe they reach some higher levels.

EDIT: ...Or maybe each blessed ring could give a +1 bonus distance to searching, perhaps not that overpowered, I don't know.

+ Reply