UI/UX: Add more hints about the nature of the SMC
issueid=5387 10-17-2017 09:19 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
UI/UX: Add more hints about the nature of the SMC

It's not obvious to new players how special the SMC is. Thus many tend to die there. We should add special messages (of increasing frequency about the increasing deadliness of the cave).
Issue Details
Issue Number 5387
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-17-2017 09:28 PM
I think your other suggestion, if implemented would be more than enough, combined with the already existing scroll of warning: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=5372 But dying in the small cave is probably one of the lesser problems for new players anyway. They don't probably lose much progress before discovering that they should be careful with it. And learning by dying really is part of the game, I don't think that aspect of roguelikes should be toned down too much.

10-17-2017 10:34 PM
The Creator
But they are killed in a rather unfair way and seem to learn "You get killed without chance in an early dungeon" (which kills fun) instead of "You get killed in a chilling and somehow special early dungeon". I don't want to tone down the killing but I want them to learn the correct things :-)

10-17-2017 10:40 PM
Perhaps some ominous warning when you level up in SMC?

10-17-2017 10:41 PM
A message when gaining a level in the SMC would be a strong direct hint.

"You feel a chill... you sense rapidly increasing danger in this place!"

10-17-2017 10:53 PM
Ancient Member
Isn't there already the scroll of warning? Although you need literacy to read it.

10-18-2017 01:43 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
Isn't there already the scroll of warning? Although you need literacy to read it.
Literacy is one point but as one rather experienced roguelike player told me "I'm not going to read scrolls just for fun... who knows how they will screw me...". I probably should have implemented post signs with messages instead of a scroll ;-)

10-18-2017 01:52 PM
The Creator
Implemented. I like Shockeroo's suggestion and have extended it somewhat.

10-18-2017 06:22 PM
Information scrolls should really be a different item type so they would be read.

+ Reply